Drag Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

First time at the Strip, help with some tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

First time at the Strip, help with some tips?

So in two days I'm gonna hit the drag strip.... not a career, just gonna see what my car can do stock in a straight line, to get a base line....i have a list of mods, as meager as they may be below. The few questions i have is whats you're guy's honest estimate (no flaming plz hehe), of what I'll run in the quarter? the other main question is what would be the best launch RPM? how to i watch the tree so i don't red light every single time? should i just run a bit early? Also is there any clutch work techniques i should know about? do i just pop the clutch and floor it, shift floor it or do i work the clutch? I'm not out to win anything, just a test and tune night, to get some baselines. Also i have Motegi MR7 205/40/R17 wheels and tires.... should i uses those of swap my stock 5 lug SE wheels back on with the crappy tires? any input will help a lot, being a virgin to the track and all, thanks guys!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, i used to be really into Fox body mustangs (86-93 5.0's) and in a few of the mags and articles they would grab a bag of ice, and ice the upper intake plenum to cool down the incoming charge... is that worth it on a Zenki??
Old 06-17-2008, 09:04 AM

The best time is gained at the launch, you basically will get the feel for it the more you do it. There are lot of factors that affect the track such as heat, humidity, time of day all of which will determine how much grip you will get. Launch on the drag isn't the same as launch on the streets.

Your first run is most likely going to be your worse. I would try revving around 4k, and ease into it. You want to try to avoid over revving, you will just sit and spin, then bog down. Same with under revving, you will just bog down, and be left behind.

Watch a few races before you line up, pay attention to how the officials are instructing the drivers, and how drivers are staging at the starting line. You don't want to jump in there and look like an uber noob. Take your time!

Good luck, lets see what you do. You prolly saw this, but here is the link from my first time at the 1/8th mile drag.

http://www.club240.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41251

Last edited by trevr; 06-17-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

i would say since your on street tires just pretend your at a light in the left lane and you have to get to the right turning lane by the next light, but theres a mini-van in the right lane that have to get in front of.

but once you get past the mini-van FLOOR IT haha.

and dont expect a 10 second pass the first time you go down the track either, your going to mess up sometimes, its ok!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

thanks trevr, those are some really good tips, i'll take them to the track with me, and i know I'll be a rookie, not expecting 10 sec ET's I'm hoping for low 16's, maybe high 15's.... is that too much to be expected from what I've got added to my car so far on street tires?? like i said still kinda new to all this, but this will be my first of many times at the strip.... I'm going to use my gained exp. from the strip and apply it to local auto X racing (just the shift points, limits of the mechanics of my car, anyone can drive in a straight line), like shifting, car control, Human Traction Control (no button for that) etc.... thanks keep the tips rolling in gents, I'll be going to the track tomorrow night, I'll make sure to scan my first run, mid run (plan on making at least 4-8 passes) and a scan of my final run so you guys can see how I've progressed, thanks again!!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Well today is track day!!!!! gonna head up to the car wash, get her all cleaned up and ready, check fluids, maybe advance the timing a bit more 4-5 degrees, get some of that ****ty octane booster, keep the tanks at around a 1/4 tank to reduce the weight, remove the spare tire and misc trunk stuff i.e. spare tire cover and carpet.... was thinking of removing the passenger seat, but decided to leave it in.........
Also, i had asked about icing the upper intake plenum, worth it or pass????
Old 06-18-2008, 09:37 AM

Not that I put a lot of strip time in, but shouldn't you balance the car with the clutch and gas for the launch?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Well guys just got back and first thing I'm doing is posting my results....
best pass-
RT------.035
60------2.399
330-----6.836
1/8-----10.490
MPH-----68.09
1000----13.593
1/4-----16.261
MPH-----83.19

looking at the other 12 time slips i have minus two bad mid runs, 6th and 8th, my average just to eyeball it and not actual calculation is prob around 16.355.... no to bad for a car with 255k miles.... ate up a '02 Toyota Celica VVT-i with a triptronic trans.....

well fellas post some insight to my times and some feedback, THANKS!!!

P.S. will be posting pics and video of my runs soon, as well as scans of my time slips...

Last edited by BlackZenki82; 06-18-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:56 PM

That's right where I thought you would be. Sorry I didn't get a chance to comment before you went to the track.

BTW, how was your starts? Did you find yourself a sweet spot?
Old 06-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

my starts we somewhat good all the way around, i did some experimenting, starting at 4k, then starting at around 2-3k..... the sweet spot for my car is around 3.5k anything higher and i get wheel spin anything lower and i kinda bogged, got that hesitation, but what was weird was that even when i bogged, or got minor wheel spin, i still averaged 16.4-16.5..... i think I'm capable of high 15's cause i had one 1/8th mile time of 9.8 where all the other's were averaging 10.4-10.5.....if i could have had more time to work on that 1/8mile time i prob could have gotten my 1/4 time a little lower..... even on my best pass of 16.2, about 75ft before the finish, i hit red line and bounced the limiter, if i had shifted around 5.6k into 4th, i just might have had my 15.9..... next will will be a good time. I'm going to throw my factory tired on the rear, maybe not the grippiest but they're taller tires, 60's compared to the 40's I'm running now with my wheels.... reduce the air pressure to around 15psi and might actually provide more grip.... we'll see...
Old 06-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=36515471

here's the video!!!!!!!!