Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

1-way, 1.5 way, 2-way

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

It has nothing to do with 1 or 1.5 or 2 way; it's entirely possible to create all three to have the exact same locking characteristics under throttle. Tires, fluid, ramp/cam/pinion angle, clutches, initial torque and "spring" design all effect it though.

Anyway Catharsis,
Just out of curiosty which Tomei and Nismo diffs. have you had experience with? Also I'm interested in hearing more about what you think of the differences between the Cusco RS and MZ. I'm eyein up a RS myself right now...
Old 12-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Contributing Member

okay i think you are missing what i am saying, so stop take a breath and read please.

First go back to page one. look at my original post. okay i understand how a LSD works i posted the pinions that are used by various types of LSDs 1, 1.5 and 2 way.

now what you posted has nothing to do with smoothness but when the lsd is able to obtain FULL LOCK 2 way is full lock on and off accel, 1.5 will do full lock accel and 50% lock on decell, and 1 way will only lock on accel

i will say it again the number of clutches, clutch design and, inital tourqe it takes to make the diff achive full lock are the atributing factors in how smooth a LSD is.

You are right all 2 way LSDs are noisy but lets be clear All CLUTCH TYPE LSDs are noisey, end of story. and you are right that the LSD noise is from it building heat and frition, but from it not obtaining full lock at low speeds allowing the wheels to turn at different rates. Pleny of people use 2 way LSDs on the street or lockers or welded diffs... i mean if you want to talk extreme lets talk about spools...

the number of clutches affects smootherness by allowing a more linear step to lock, more steps will mean a smoother transition between clutches, assuming the same inital tourqe

clear now?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Contributing Member

as far as i know there is only the Tomei TRAX, i hae driven on a nismo SSS and one other kind (i dont know)

As far as the MZ vs. the RS. The RS is leaps and bounds above the MZ, the MZ feels more like a kaaz, what aplication are you looking to use your car for? and whats your budget?

i seriously love the OS diffs its what wil be going in my TII once i blow my stock clutch type in it
Old 02-09-2006, 04:35 PM

I had an OS 1-5 gear set sucks *** it blew at only 450hp, The OS diff I HAD the ring gear was broken into 6 pieces because of back lash. Kaaz is a good Diff It is just as noisy as any diff I have used ATS being the loudest. I am currently using NISMO all of my Diffs have been 2way, I Drag and well it is a lot less harsh than drifting all of the Diffs I have seen listed are all good diffs, OSGiken, ORC(Ogura) are the two biggest manufacuters in japan for gears, diffs, clutches, HKS, Cusco, Apexera (Apexi) all buy from thoes two companies, HKS uses hollinger for Missions, Trust uses Quaife, Most japanese companies do not build their own products.

Anyway all of the Diffs mentioned are great if 1. Broken in properly 2. Maintained properly you can beat the crap out of all of them.

Sorry For bringing up a old thread I just know alot about Diffs, Missions, and japanese products, I have been in japan for the past 12.5 years and I just realize that they just stamp their names on stuff made in places other than japan, Like the US, Australia, England.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for the info! it has been a great addition to this thread.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by silviasichigo
I had an OS 1-5 gear set sucks *** it blew at only 450hp, The OS diff I HAD the ring gear was broken into 6 pieces because of back lash.
So technically who ever installed your diff didn't shim it right????
Or is the OS just doodoo?
Old 02-10-2006, 05:37 PM

No I shimed the diff right I just think I did not give it a proprer break in time but because it costed so much and "I" Broke it I guess I am just hate'n for no reason. The back lash was little sever but since I can go to OS I did had them measure it (very reluctantly they did) and siad it was fine but when the pinion lashed the first time I think that was the end. Did I mention I have a PAR dog mission? That could have been the problem but my NISMO 2way is still going after 4 years of abuse.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:21 PM

This might be a little bit of topic, but what the average charge for setting up a 2-way LSD in open diff housing !!
Old 02-10-2006, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by shermantank
This might be a little bit of topic, but what the average charge for setting up a 2-way LSD in open diff housing !!
That isn't recomended, you should get an LSD diff housing. Or you can always install a torsens, or known by OBX as a helical if you chose to use your open diff housing.......

Last edited by BigVinnie; 02-10-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:47 PM

its not just OBX that uses the term Helical...pretty common term

I've seen companies offer LSD's made for open differential cases

Last edited by Bryan; 02-10-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:50 PM

I've been corrected..... I never knew the term helical, I thought it was always common to call it a torsens.....
Old 02-10-2006, 07:55 PM

I just got my Cusco RS 2 way LSD which is made for US open diff housing, I'm looking for a shop to get it setup for me, but don't know whats the right price to pay !!
Old 02-10-2006, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by shermantank
I just got my Cusco RS 2 way LSD which is made for US open diff housing, I'm looking for a shop to get it setup for me, but don't know whats the right price to pay !!
If they charge more than $300 you are getting robbed...
Didn't know that they made a 2way for open diff, I know that KAAZ makes a 1way for open diff, thats news to me.....

Last edited by BigVinnie; 02-10-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BigVinnie
If they charge more than $300 you are getting robbed...
Didn't know that they made a 2way for open diff, I know that KAAZ makes a 1way for open diff, thats news to me.....
Kaaz,Tomei,Nismo,Cusco,ATS make a 2 way for Open Diff Pumpkin.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:11 AM
Contributing Member

and you can always cut your **** to fit

Quick Reply: 1-way, 1.5 way, 2-way