Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Legalities of Engine Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Lets do it DMV is hell!
Old 03-09-2004, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by PROJECTRB240SX
THATS UP TO YOU..... YOU CAN GET THE CRITERIA FROM THE DMV OR THE DOT. THIS IS HOW ALOT OF THE HOTROD GUYS LEGALLY INSURE THEIR 427 POWER FORD MODEL A'S AND STUFF LIKE THAT. YOU CAN DO THE SAME WITH ANY CAR IT JUST TAKES TIME AND ALITTLE EXTRA MONEY FOR A COMPLETELY LEGAL CAR.
Because the Model A is old enough to not even fall into the "needs smogging" category, in california anyway.

Disclaimer: The following applies to CA only
Supposedly, you can swap an engine, retain all emissions equipment that it origionally had, and if you manage to pass the sniffer, CARB gives you a little sticker that says the engine you swapped in is totally legal. JDM 3S-GTEs and Hondas can get these carb stickers easily.
A lot of Honda people go this route, and it saves them money, because they don't have to pay $200-$300 to smog their car every two years. Some smoggers just ignore visual for a fee.

Hawaii is probably very stringent because they depend on keeping the ecosystem there clean as well as trying to keep unnesscary vehicles off the roads there. From what I hear, the islands aren't too big.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:58 AM

HAHA HAWAII STRINGENT? HAWAII'S MOTTO WHEN IT COMES TO EMISSIONS IS: "THE TRADES WINDS BLOW IT ALL OUT TO SEA!" HAWAII HAS NO EMISSIONS JUST SAFETY CHECKS. BUT HAVE THE CAR RETITLED WILL ALLOW YOU TO RUN YOUR CAR THROUGH EMISSIONS AND PASS THE VISUAL. YOU CAN ALSO LEGALLY INSURE THE VEHICLE FOR THE FULL VALUE.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by PROJECTRB240SX
NOPE BUT WE DID IT IN HAWAII WITH A FORD MUSTANG THAT ORIGINALLY HAD A 4CYL IN IT AND WE PUT THE NEWER MUSTANG 4.6L OHC ENGINE IN. WE HAD TO GET THE TITLE CHANGED TO REBUILT/CUSTOM AND GO THROUGH FOURTH DIFFERENT TESTS (SAFETY, ROAD WORTHINESS, EMISSIONS, AND VISUAL INSPECTION). THE CAR PASSED AND IT WAS TOTALLY LEGAL TO DRIVE AND INSURE. IT WILL BE THE SAME FOR ALL CARS OR AT LEAST IT SHOULD BE.
What is road worthiness? Ands is safety, emissions, and visual the same thing as they do at regular inspections? thanks
Old 03-23-2004, 06:23 PM

road worthiness like rust inspection, brakes, etc.
safety was seat belts, air bags, etc.
emissions obivious
and the visual inspection was like no hanging parts, etc. it was actually apart of road worthiness in a sense.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

The engine swaps and alot of other parts fall into a exemption as far as the EPA and DOT are concerned. They harass me I'll take em to court and win, I have the papers in hand. Unfortunately it's also a "trade secret" of sorts for my business so I can't divulge this info for free or for any price sorry.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by rkcarguy
The engine swaps and alot of other parts fall into a exemption as far as the EPA and DOT are concerned. They harass me I'll take em to court and win, I have the papers in hand. Unfortunately it's also a "trade secret" of sorts for my business so I can't divulge this info for free or for any price sorry.
*cough*Dealer plates.

You live in Washington. Laws regarding emissions swaps are teh different from California. You even get 93 octane gas.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:48 PM

my guess is that the process of legalizing of motor swaps is somewhat like the process motorex does to get skylines here?
Old 04-01-2004, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by sr20det power
my guess is that the process of legalizing of motor swaps is somewhat like the process motorex does to get skylines here?
nope.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

No it's not dealer plates and it doesn't matter which state you are in. California too. It's simply knowing the regulations and knowing when they want to take your $$$ away from you. Open your own business and you'll realize how bad our government is. Unfortunately the State Patrol enjoy ticketing people that don't know any better. Here we get alot of the modified exhaust crap and it's not a legit ticket unless it's proven to be over 95 decibels(like most cars when your muffler falls off...maybe) I'd like to start a class action suit......
Old 05-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rkcarguy
No it's not dealer plates and it doesn't matter which state you are in. California too. It's simply knowing the regulations and knowing when they want to take your $$$ away from you. Open your own business and you'll realize how bad our government is. Unfortunately the State Patrol enjoy ticketing people that don't know any better. Here we get alot of the modified exhaust crap and it's not a legit ticket unless it's proven to be over 95 decibels(like most cars when your muffler falls off...maybe) I'd like to start a class action suit......
Start that class action lawsuit and u got me as ur first name to follow thru with u! I hate it when the cops keep aruging that it is over 90 decibles jus by hearing the ***** and not using a decible meter...

I say go for it dammit! I forgot which company it was that had the last page of like Import Tuner or Super Street plastered with that argument that the aftermarket exhausts were legal... Cops get pissed and try to take it from u, cuz they kno its the truth. Happened to me once, I was technically arrested for like 30 min while they searched my friends car for "modified parts that are deemed illegal"... we got a lawyer and things got fixed at the hearing.

But anyways, GO FOR THE SUIT!!!!! If theres a petition process, lemme kno, I'll put my name down fo sho!
Old 05-29-2004, 03:08 PM

From what I talked to about guys with kit cars. You can get a rebuilt or custom title in cali, but the engine has to be one that was ORIGINALLY installed in a PASSENGER CAR or LIGHT TRUCK that was approved for sale in California, that kills the sr20 swap, since the DET was never approved for sale in the u.s. period.

Check out these sites: http://www.championmotorcars.com/ca_smog.htm
http://www.jeffchan.com/cars/nckcc98/ca-register.html

Maybe motorex can do it, but I doubt it. I spoke to the ref, you cannot legalize sr20det's. The reason that b-series honda engines are able to be smogged, it because the engine was availible over here in the states, and can be converted to be emission compliant.

It seems that we in cali are assed out, is it possible to register yor 240 in another state?
Old 05-29-2004, 05:23 PM

Unhappy cmon

cmon guys there has too be a way too makeing this street legal cause my plan was tooo get a sr for cheap and swap and RUN THE FU** out of my car hahahaha sigh may be some one can find info?
Old 05-30-2004, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Supranatural

Maybe motorex can do it, but I doubt it. I spoke to the ref, you cannot legalize sr20det's. The reason that b-series honda engines are able to be smogged, it because the engine was availible over here in the states, and can be converted to be emission compliant.

It seems that we in cali are assed out, is it possible to register yor 240 in another state?
Actually Motorex is only allowed to legalize RB motors in Skylines since they have all the legal papers to do it, my friend in OC asked them about the SRs and they said they cant do it.

And registering in another state, that is the easy way Motorex tells u to do it to cut cost down. But please beware, CHP IS comming down on people who register their cars out of state. Their reason for the new all of a sudden crack down is because people are doing it to evade car tax and registration fees.

The only thing I can tell u to do if u do have an SR swap, is to find a close friend that does smog, and bring in a bone stock 240 and do the smog that way... Make sure ur plates are on ur friend's stock 240 tho! They take pictures of the cars now with the plates at certain places from wut I hear... But yea... its a pain to try and legalize it. Actually to tell u the truth... there is one way to truely legalize the SR, but I promised my friend that I wont say how. He got his Red top to pass referee... Kinda wierd seeing as they would see the turbo sittin rite there. But his is legal and it passed smog. Anyways, time to chill... laterz all

Last edited by NiSmO Knight; 05-30-2004 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:45 PM

hey all. do u know what happens if u get caught with the SR20 engine in ur car and it isnt legal? do they impound it and take the engine? What about engines bought through places like Heavy Throttle. Are those engines legal, or would i need to legalize it myself?

Quick Reply: Legalities of Engine Swaps