Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Legalities of Engine Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Fenix, please search it has been covered before. As said above, NO JDM ENGINES ARE LEGAL
Old 06-16-2004, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Fenix, please search it has been covered before. As said above, NO JDM ENGINES ARE LEGAL
You should close the thread. People never read the FAQs anyway.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:20 AM
Contributing Member

Fenix, no matter where u live or wut u try... if get caught ur car is impounded... In California, beginning January 2005, if u have more than 3 fix it tickets for mods or wutever else they find wrong with ur car, its automatically impounded. And pending the judge u get, he/she will be able to have the power to say whethere or not u get ur car back... most likely doing an engine swap with a non-street legal motor will grant the judge to say kiss it good bye. YES California is comming down on the kids who go the cheap route on parts and stick us (the gys who spend the money to get the right equipment) with the short end of the stick...

There is also speculation that if u are pulled over for mods, and u receive a point, the judge can also make a ruling to make that point permanent on ur record. But like I said this IS only a SPECULATION, but hearing this from my source... most likely, these new laws will pass... making it harder for us to enjoy our cars.

But like everyone else said to all the new ppl...
PLEASE DO A SEARCH FOR THE TOPIC U HAVE IN MIND IT MAY HAVE ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED OVER AND OVER... which IMO, is more than enuff info on any topic here on any forum...
Old 06-17-2004, 07:41 PM

NiSmO Knight, thanks for the help. i tried a search and didnt really come up with specific answers. it was probably there somewhere, ill just blame my newness for my lack of searchin skill, lol. thanks again.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by NiSmO Knight
Fenix, no matter where u live or wut u try... if get caught ur car is impounded... In California, beginning January 2005, if u have more than 3 fix it tickets for mods or wutever else they find wrong with ur car, its automatically impounded. And pending the judge u get, he/she will be able to have the power to say whethere or not u get ur car back... most likely doing an engine swap with a non-street legal motor will grant the judge to say kiss it good bye. YES California is comming down on the kids who go the cheap route on parts and stick us (the gys who spend the money to get the right equipment) with the short end of the stick...
Link to a legit news source please. I'd like to verify.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:07 PM

Man i dont car im getn me a srd20det anyway man thell have to cach me first, for i give it up!
Old 07-22-2004, 11:55 AM

I read the other post and know that an SR20DET isn't legal. But what about the NA SR20DE for the 240? 1: It was available in front wheel drive in the US and 2: "operates in a similar fashion" as the CARB website states as a requirement for imported Japanese enignes.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

No e-rock, if it wasn't in the 240sx then it isn't legal.

What was the only engine in a 240sx? KA
Old 07-27-2004, 06:15 AM

OK AFTER ALL MY TIME READING THE CLEAN-AIR-ACT THERE IS NOTHING IN HERE THAT SAYS THESE MOTORS ARE ILLEGAL.....

READ FOR YOURSELF AND TELL ME IF YOU CAN FIND ANYTHING: http://www.epa.gov/oar/caa/contents.html#iia
Old 07-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

There was a page not to long ago that was posted...only if I can find it
Old 08-10-2004, 12:54 PM

as far as the na sr20 goes it was available in japan in the 240's so getting them is easy and cheap and as long as it's newer than your chassis it's legal because 85 percent of the time the drivetrain orientation isn't crossreferenced for the engine so they think it's a spec-v engine or something
Old 08-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Contributing Member

Jynx is rite, u can't use the na SR20. By federal law, u can only use another KA as a swap (KA must be same year as the chassis or newer). They have guidelines that u must follow in order to make the swap smog legal. Ask any smog emissions tester, and they'll tell u that u cant use the na SR20. Even though it was from the SE Sentra here in the US.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:53 AM

unless you classify the whole car as a rebuild...i forget the exact terms but california allows for non original engine swaps how else would the hot rod guys get away with it?
Old 09-07-2004, 01:26 PM

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm
This explains how the hot rod guys get away with it and it also has the guidelines of legalities. Please note this is the "California" Air Resource Board website. Don't know about other states.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:12 PM

engine importers catalogue --it says that under japanese swaps on that link. but where is "engine importers catalogue " anyways.

Quick Reply: Legalities of Engine Swaps