General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

s14 baby car seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 06:21 AM

Post s14 baby car seat

Hey guys. I am flying in to visit family with my son and will be driving my husband's old car, a 240. This will be my car for about 2 weeks and I still have my son in a car seat. I knew my car seat, a Clek Foonf, would not fit in the back seat of that car and googled seats that would fit with no luck. However, I did find multiple seats that would work and since it I saw the question unanswered on a few forums I thought I would share my information. Hope that is okay!

So the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that a child rear face a minimum of 2 years and until they have maxed out their car seat requirements. That is at least 30lbs in the most inexpensive seat on the market. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommends at least 3 years of age and as long as the car seat allows.

For infant carriers a chicco keyfit 30 fit perfectly without the base. I had to use a large rolled up towel under the end of the seat (where the belt path/baby's feet are) I pulled the slack out locked the seat belt and made sure only the lap belt was threaded through the belt paths. The shoulder portion is not not to be threaded through. Here is an image of a proper install without the base in a different car to give you an idea.

(the opening under the belt path was where I put the towel.)

I think the Cybex Aton and the Cybex Aton 2 would also fit and they allow for a European belt install that does add stability.

It's important to note that infant car seats have to be properly reclined. If you sit them more upright you do have a little more space in the front however your child can suffer from positional asphyxia. (yeah, it's a real thing)

Rear Facing convertible seats
I was able to get a peg perego 5/70 in the 240. It was a challenge. Required me to use a rolled up towel and a locking clip. It also took 2 people to get it in. I did use a rear facing tether. This car seat has to be in the more upright recline position due to the shape of the back seat. The front seat also has to be locked and in the most upright position before you install the car seat. The reason for this is that our 240 makes you slide the seat all the way back to lock it and you can't do it when the car seat is already installed. After using the locking clip the seat does not move at all at the belt path and using the rear facing tether to add stability.

I am almost 100% sure a combi corroco would fit in this car. I am also pretty sure that a Britax Roundabout 55 (and only that model) would fit back there as well. The Britax roundabout fits perfectly in a 2 door accord.

Britax Roundabout 55

Combi Corroco

Forward Facing
When it comes to forward facing seats all of the convertible seats I suggested Britax Roundabout, Combi Corroco, and the Peg perego 5/70 would fit. If you have an older child and want to forward face a Diono RXT would be great and has a 5 point harness to 80lbs. (The Diono wont work Rear facing even with an angle adjuster because of the foot and the shape of the back seat. )

Of course always go by what the manual says over anything I have said. I am not a CPST. I am a baby product junkie and have installed car seats in a lot of compact cars. The 240 is not a great car for car seats. I have to get into the back seat behind the driver to get the baby in and out of the car. The front seat does have to be in a locked position however it is in the most upright forward locked position. If you have this car and don't have the option of buying another but have to put a baby in it the combi corroco is going to be your best bet. It's $180 and can be used from birth. You can not install any seats in the center seat. Our 240 and our friend's 240 does not have a center seat and the hump in the center would not allow for it anyway.

Prices of the seats:
Combi Corroco: $180
Britax Roundabout 55: $125
Peg Perego 5/70: $330-$370
Chicco Keyfit 30: $180
Cybex Aton 2: $270

I will post photos of the Peg Perego inside the 240. It was raining when I installed it and it's raining now. The Peg Perego and Britax are shaped almost exactly the same. I choose the Peg Perego because I plan to rear face as long as possible and it has a higher height and weight limit.