a simple tuning question

Old 01-10-2008, 08:43 PM

a simple tuning question

hi all. i have been thinking for a while but when i come to think about it, if i were to lessen my fuel pressure, i would run leaner right? right now i know that at factory specs, it is set at 43. well. with my engine, a 98 ka, is sitting in my s13. i put it in there cause it was the only available engine near me and i had to get my car running quick. that was a year ago. well, during the swap, my friend wanted to barrow my maf to see if his was broken, the g60, so i let him barrow it considering that i have the g70 maf that came with the engine. long story short, i am running the g70 maf with my s13 with the s13 ecu. so i am running rich. how do i know you may ask? my spark plugs. they are very sooty. the car runs fine and all. but im sure that i will fail emissions, and im worried that i am getting less fuel economy then my fc. lol. i rarely drive the 240 cause im scared that if i drive it alot with it running rich, it might do something, although turbo cars run rich naturally right? well long story shorter, if i lessen the fuel pressure, will i effect anything with the ecu. like timing, or any of that stuff. or will the ecu see no change and do everything normally as if it did have 43 psi at the fpr. cause i want to tone it down to maybe 40 and see if my spark plugs are not sooting up. and get my car to pass emissions and get my fuel economy back. lol. thanks guys. sorry for making a short read.

cliff notes

1992 s13 with 1998 ka
my car runs rich due to not having the g60 maf but the g70 from s14.
i do not drive it, just idle.
i want to lessen my fuel pressure to run leaner.
will lessening the fuel pressure effect anything else?

p.s. after this i will put my s13 cams in.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Contributing Member

locate an stock s13 maf that are paper weights brother..

no car is suppose to run rich.... NA.. or forced induction.

there is no way short of adding an safc controller to help smooth out the fuel. and even still you need an wideband o2 to get it accurately.