Need Help On My Nissan 240sx.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:41 PM

Angry Need Help On My Nissan 240sx.

Hey, I have an 89 Nissan 240sx. I purchased a new dashboard for it because my old one was cracked and faded. I removed the old and replaced with the new. Upon test driving my car I found that the gauges do not work and I was almost sure that I switched the connectors on the back of the cluster. There is two white ones and a black one. I tried to switch the two connectors around thinking that would work, but there is no possible way to switch them around because of the length of the cords. So I am almost 100% positive that they are plugged in correctly but I am thinking it's a ground wire maybe. I have taken apart the dash and checked the wires and the fuses and everything, I have even went as far as to replace all the fuses....I have been struggling with this for days because I can't really drive it too much because none of the gauges work. So, if anyone can help me figure this out I will take any opinions or troubleshoots! Thanks a mill!
Old 04-18-2009, 01:46 PM

Try checking the other harness end, the one that connects to the box near the ECU.

And grounds like you said.

GL

RickY
Old 04-18-2009, 11:46 PM

Did you switch to a different gauge cluster when you replaced your dash?

The basics are check the connections and make sure they are pressed in all the way, make sure nothing was accidentially crushed/clipped, and when in doubt chase-test-continue until you have found the little gremlin,

Good luck and take your time, be as methodical as you can.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:22 AM
Contributing Member

Hello. Now, let me get this straight -- did you also replace the cluster or just the dash itself? That is actually very strange that the cluster no longer works either.

Like someone mentioned, you may have to check the fuses under the engine bay.

Also check the wires behind the harnesses themselves and make sure that none of them were pulled out of the connectors (sometimes that happens).

If you have access to a voltmeter, you can check the connectors to see where the problem is that way. If you absolutely can't figure it out -- maybe just take it to a mechanic.

Keep us posted on what you figure out. Good luck!