KA-T Memebers Setup/Specs/Tune info

Old 04-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

^^ welll i drove from southern maryland to philly. i left on a full tank and got there with an half tank in full in and out of boost

base timing for an ka is 20* in order to set it properly you must follow the steps in the FSM which is to alow the engine to idle for a set amount of time rev it, unplug the TPS etc...........

after you have done all of that you loosen the 12mm bolts on the dizzy and with your timing light set it to 20* while your car is in N/A form....

after you install the turbo then you retard the timing... you can get an timing light for about 40 bucks at an auto store. 15*to 18* is what many guys with low psi setups are running.. again what i use my car for an how i use it doesnt demand some larger than life turbo with ungodly amounts of boost.

Last edited by Biggamehit; 04-21-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

once again s14's use active type ecus, it is really important to only retard timing in boost. I never said you did it impropperly, it's just that getting the s14 ecu to work with your ka-t setup without it doing really funky things. is no easy task. I don't doubt that you keep track of how well the car runs with a wideband or that you check for knock, but for s14 guys is totally a different game. Even with a very mild setup fuel and timing management should be taken very seriously. Plus, I'm not really a fan of having my car idle like it has high lift cams when it doesn't
Old 04-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

ooohh sorry bro.... key words.... i didn't know you were referring to OBDII ECU's i have not delt with any of them becuase obdI is what you wanna deal with when going KA-T..
Old 04-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by silviaks2nr
once again s14's use active type ecus, it is really important to only retard timing in boost. I never said you did it impropperly, it's just that getting the s14 ecu to work with your ka-t setup without it doing really funky things. is no easy task. I don't doubt that you keep track of how well the car runs with a wideband or that you check for knock, but for s14 guys is totally a different game. Even with a very mild setup fuel and timing management should be taken very seriously. Plus, I'm not really a fan of having my car idle like it has high lift cams when it doesn't
so say i have a safc, a tune, and a btm to change the timing as the boost changes. and on top of that a knock sensor light. would that be all good?

and spence have you seen the gadget on ka-t called the timing lock or sumthing like that, its still in testing but...should come soon enough. what do you think about that?
Old 04-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

what the S14 guys go through is similar to what the OBDII B16A2/B18C5 honda guys go through. obdII makes tuning much harder due to the design of the ecu's
Old 04-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

theres no way of replacing it with a more diverse ecu? that would make some stuff a little easier? sorry noob question lawl.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

i know OBDII guys who went back to OBD1...... its totally up to you..

they had to swap engine harnesses, ecu, intake manifolds etc, but the money you would spend, you could just by the damn timing management or get an JWT ecu or Bikirom tune.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

you can run an s13 ecu on an s14, you will have to change the primary o2 sensor and probably the mafs (you would upgrade that anyways though). there is also someone kinda local to me working on s14 obd2 drop in tunes. www.dl-tuning.com
Old 04-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

when did s14 switch totally to obdII mid 95 correct..

if so it would be kinda hard to find an obdI s14 ecu

the plugs are different.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

all s14 ecus are active type, regardless of obd series. you can buy s14 to s13 conversion harnesses online. scott enthalpy supplies them with his tunes for the s14 chassis but i doubt he will sell the harness without buying the $500 tune.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

i have an OBD1 s14. woot me. not sure if im going KAT now kiddies, tho...
Old 04-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by silviaks2nr
you can run an s13 ecu on an s14, you will have to change the primary o2 sensor and probably the mafs (you would upgrade that anyways though). there is also someone kinda local to me working on s14 obd2 drop in tunes. www.dl-tuning.com
So if i were to swap to an s13 ecu, and get an N60 maf. i would have to have anythings changing my timing all the time?(btm)

if its that easy how come the obd11 folks just do that? or is there more to it?
Old 04-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Contributing Member

you would be okay retarding the base timing a few degrees, and an msd btm would be an okay solution, but really it still pays off in the end to go with a full stand alone or even a simple rom tune. you still have to worry about the obd scanning, but as long as your emissions sytem is still in tact you should pass the sniffer. Luckily I don't have to worry about emissions at my inspection station. basically horn and lights and i'm out of there.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

okay. well we dont have any emission junk in LA or WI so i dont have to worry about that. i was planning on getting a tune, do you think i should still get a knock sensor?
Old 04-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

well the car already has it's own knock sensor. if you get your car professionally street or dyno tuned the timing retarding should be taken care of

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KA-T Memebers Setup/Specs/Tune info