NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Air Filter Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 06:27 PM

Unhappy Air Filter Question

Ok i dont wana do a cold air intake just yet, cuz i'll be doing an engine swap and i dont wana have to worry about sellin the CAI once i get the new engine (cuz it will be a different engine). But i wanted to do an air filter, so i could get the air box and stuff outta there. I have a 1990 240sx with the KA24E engine and i noticed theres a sensor in the air box and stuff. So I have the adapter and air filter, but if i take the air box out, what do i do with that sensor that was inside the air box, just let it hang? I could like tape it to the inside of the air filter.......any suggestions?
Old 02-10-2004, 07:13 PM

My friend did the same to his 89. He took that and drilled the air intake pipe and mounted it to that. It is very simple to do.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:58 PM

got anything more detailed instructions or pics? If i understand correctly, he just drilled a whole in the stock tube and shoved the sensor into it basicly?
Old 02-10-2004, 08:04 PM

I dont have pics since he did this a year ago and now has an SR20 in his car. Ill try to describe it to you. He drilled a hole for the sensor to fit into the air tube. Then he drilled 2 smaller holes where the screw holes are in the sensor. Then he screwed it down with sheet metal screws. And I would say use sealer around it so it will be air tight.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:34 AM
Contributing Member

They have these adapters where 1 end bolts to the MAF, the air filter clamps to the other end, and in between there's 3 small holes where the "in airbox" sensor will screw perfectly into. If you get one of those generic intake systems off of Ebay for like $30 you'll get it in the box. it's not like a regular "air filter adaptor"

Forgive the ghetto drawings -

Regular air filter adaptor looks like:

|-|
| |
| |----------------|
| | |
| | | <-- Air filter goes here
| | |
| | |
| |----------------|
| |
|-|

the one I'm talking about looks like this:

|-| |-||-|
| | | || |
| |---------------------------| || |-----------|
| | o O o | || | |
| | | || | | <-- Air filter here
| | | || | |
| | | || | |
| |---------------------------| || |-----------|
| | | || |
|-| |-||-|

those 3 "holes" in the middle is where the airbox sensor thingy goes.

K the drawing doesn't show right LOL

regular air filter adaptors look like the letter "T"

the one I'm talking about looks like the capital letter "I"

I decided to keep my ghetto drawing so everyone can poke fun at me
Old 02-11-2004, 08:13 AM

wow, that was kinda confusing.....LOL, you know where i could get one of the thingsy our talkin about, like you said EBAY, but can you show me an example, like link me to one on ebay, cuz i got a reguular adapter n filter, guess it wont work...i dont wana start drillin or anything, unless it be only choice
Old 02-15-2004, 09:18 PM

If worst comes to worst, it is only an air temperature sensor which can be stuck on anywhere near the filter. I was in the same situation but lucked out by getting an adapter that l2aine is talking about.

Remember......Duct-tape+240sx=ghetto
Old 04-26-2012, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by SPEEDRlCER
Ok i dont wana do a cold air intake just yet, cuz i'll be doing an engine swap and i dont wana have to worry about sellin the CAI once i get the new engine (cuz it will be a different engine). But i wanted to do an cabin air filters, so i could get the air box and stuff outta there. I have a 1990 240sx with the KA24E engine and i noticed theres a sensor in the air box and stuff. So I have the adapter and air filter, but if i take the air box out, what do i do with that sensor that was inside the air box, just let it hang? I could like tape it to the inside of the air filter.......any suggestions?
where did you buy your air filters? my mom and i went some stores but i cant find a good one. any help please.