NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Coolant in vacuum line

Old 12-28-2010, 04:05 PM

Coolant in vacuum line

Hello all,

Have a 93 240 stock KA, recently started acting up, running really rough and once in a while would stop running and then after about 15-20 minutes would clear up (not run a 100% but drive able). Originally had loss of power in higher gear low rpm under load, would spit sputter and chug like it was starving for fuel. Replaced fuel filter and around this time fuel pump failed completely which i replaced as well.

Cleared up for a while then started to notice breakup in higher rpm, replaced cap, rotor and plugs no real change. Wires were next on the list until the other night headed home and started running really bad and wouldn't clear. Stopped at a gas station and noticed steam/coolant spraying out from the vacuum line located between the air intake and throttle cable.
coolant is rust colored and there was a residue of coolant on the air filter as well. I live in south FL and we have had a few really cold nights (for FL) over the past few weeks (before this episode the other night) and the car would run amazing in cold weather!

I took the vacuum hose off and stuck a q-tip inside and came out with coolant soaked q-tip. replaced hose put everything back together and test drove and the car will barely idle and very spuratic/no power at all.

First thought is head gasket, but wanted to double check and see if anyone can point me in the right direction before I tackle a head gasket replacement. Is there anywhere that the vacuum system interfaces or come close to contact with coolant that I should be checking first?

Any help would be great,

Thanks
Cotton

Last edited by Cotton; 12-28-2010 at 04:14 PM.