NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Noise comming from engine???????

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 06:58 PM

Noise comming from engine???????

Anyone have a clue as to why I am getting a tapping/rattleing sound comming from my engine during acceleration? At first I thought it might be the timing chain guides, but when I step on the gas, shouldn't it put tension on the timing chain? ( Therefore the chain shouldn't touch the guides that much.) It has about 109,000 miles on the engine and the head gasket is about 9 months old... Any help would be greatly appreciated! I think the rockers are bad but I can't be sure, the engine had an oil circulation problem that caused it to overheat and the head gasket to blow. It is not warped or anything, the block is also not cracked....... AHHHHHHHH Someone help! Oh yeah it's a 92 Coupe, KA24DE.....

Thanks,

Guam,_Guy
Old 08-28-2003, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Are you getting oil pressure? if not its oil pump if so you have a bent valve or a valve spring is cocked or a guide is cocked . check these thing out tell me how it go's hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:24 AM

Oil pressure is good and the valves and guides are all good, here's the whole story on how this all started... About 9 months ago the radiator had a bad leak and ran out of coolant, this in turn overheated the car which blew the head gasket.. DUH! I replaced the head gasket, checked the head for warpage, and everything is all good. I suspect that the rocker arms might have been messed up because of the over heating but I am not sure, I have rough idle sometimes, like when the engine is at running temp, and at timnes the engine just stalls out and doesn't start until the engine is cooled down.... Any help would be great!
Old 08-28-2003, 01:21 PM

Nevermind, i'm a dumbass, the KA24DE doesn't have any rocker arms...LOL
Old 08-29-2003, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

they have hydrolic lifters. but have you check the injector pulse and pressure. it sounds like a fuel problem . so you have checked the cam and crank angle sensers?
Old 09-17-2003, 04:22 PM

I also have a rattle noise. I just did the timing...it was advanced 10 degrees...and now its doing the rattle. Any ideas..?

Mines 160,000 miles and I thought it was the timing chain..
Old 09-19-2003, 07:19 PM

Post hmm

i havent looked into the de but my 89 has rocker arms in which the hydrolic lifters sit inside.

i had that problem with my car. it made an unbareable ticking noise that was just too loud and embarassing.

it is easily fixable though. all i did was went to the local junkyard. found a ka24e, pulled off the valve cover, pulled off the rocker shaft, and took home some of the rocker arms and lifters for 2 bucks each.

once you have the rocker shaft off, press down on the lifters. they should be springy. they can be stiff too as long as they arent stuck in the fully depressed position. thats what makes the ticking sound.

but before you go to the junkyard, it is also a good thing to take the valve cover off of your car and check your lifters. once the valve cover is off, see if you can jiggle any of the rockers. make sure the rocker you are checking is on the low spot of the cam. you can bump the starter to move the cams to their low spots for each rocker. if you can move any of the rockers up and down while in the cam's low spot...well there's your culprit. thats the noise right there.

just remember which rocker it was and whether it was on the intake side or the exhaust side.

once you get the the new rocker arms with good lifters...just pull off your rocker shaft and replace the rocker arm. remember to use a good grease before sliding the rockers back onto the shaft.

i highly recommend going to the junkyard first. $2 for a rocker arm compared to $35 for a lifter from nissan.

all you need is 3/8 ratchet, 10mm socket, an extension, and a torque wrench set for 60 in/lbs for the valve cover gasket
Old 09-20-2003, 03:58 AM
Contributing Member

when is it starting to knock, all the time or when you rev high?
could be that you spun a rod berring or a rod
Old 09-20-2003, 12:49 PM

noise

damn man i had that noise and i just replaced the whole engine, my problem was one of the valves and it wasnt working properly. at first i thought it was the timing chain then sum1 told me it was the bearings from my tranny but i brought it to a mechanic andhe said it was avlave problem. and he suggested i just get a new engine cuz it was gonna be so much work to take it out and repair it.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:51 PM

Hey guys, found out what it was.... The clearances under the cams was out of tolerances. All it did was replace the shims and it fixed the problems. Note to all!!!!! When removing the cams make sure you remember which lifter goes where, that was part of the problem, they wear out differently... Duh!

Thanks for the replies though guys!

Hey check it out, I am also looking for in intake manifold so I can install side drafts onto my 240SX...Yeah, yeah I know stop laughing, just wanted to try out something new! Let me know if you guys know anyone who is selling one or anyone who can make it for me!

Guam_Guy