RB20/5/6DET Swap FAQ *Read before you ASK*

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 01:47 PM

RB20/5/6DET Swap FAQ *Read before you ASK*

Mods, sticky?

This is intended to be the FIRST place you stop before you ask any questions about swapping an RB series engine into your 240SX. If you have questions that aren't addressed, do a search. If you have a question you always hear that you think should be listed here (because believe me, I DON'T know it all, I want this to get bigger) please post it and I'll edit this as often as possible. If some of the information I post is wrong, don't flame, let me know so I can fix it.

What is the RB20/25/26DET?

The RB series of engines are six-cylinder engines produced in the Nissan Skyline, a car that hasn't hit American shores in production. The numbers in the engine code signify the displacement, for example the RB25DET is a 2.5 liter engine. The engines are all turbocharged from the factory and all produce over 200HP.

What comes with a clip?

When you buy the clip of a car, you can imagine just cutting off everying on the car from the windshield forwards, and taking it home. Thats the clip. You're going to likely get body panels, the engine, transmission, turbo, crossmember and other engine components. Some clips will include brakes, headlights, the intercooler, piping, etc. That depends on the clip itself.

Will the RB## fit into my 19_ _ 240?

Yes. Actually, for the right amount of money, you can fit any engine into any car (look at SportCompactCar this month, theres a Focus with an SVT Cobra engine :P) but to be more specific:

The 240SX is a benefactor of the "Parts Bin" strategy, which means that many Nissans produced in the 90's (and a few before) had alot of interchangeable parts, between the American 240SX, the Japan and Canada Silvia, the 300ZX, and thankfully, the Skyline.

With few mods, either of the three engines will bolt into the 240, but the 2.0 is going to be the easiest swap. For all three engines you're going to need either the stock RB crossmember or (for a better fit) custom mounts. These are available from a variety of retailers, many of whom also stock the clips. You can find a list of these shops at this thread:

here

When you're swapping the 2.5 or 2.6 you're going to need a couple more mods. You'll certainly need a new driveshaft, because the 2.5/6 uses a larger one then the stock 240SX. You'll also likely need a new downpipe and may have to shave your hood a bit for clearance, depending on if you used a mounting kit or the Skyline crossmember. Certain plumbing and piping will likely have to be custom made as well.

What else should I consider changing while I swap?

First thing, theres no better time to paint your engine bay, so pick a color now. An important thing to change is the fuel pump, since you're going to a forced induction engine. You're going to want to keep enough fuel pumping into the engine to support the extra air. Popular choices include a Walboro model, or the pump
from a 300ZX should also be an easy application.

Make sure the filters on the new engine are clean. Replacing them is a good idea. Also, you might want to put some octane booster in your gas tank if you weren't running at least 91 before.

While the engine is out of the car, do a common sense check. If any hoses are cracked or broken, replace them now while it's incredibly easy isntead of waiting for later. Also, don't choke your system with the stock exhaust. Get a decent 3" cat-back system. If you're going for emissions, you may even want to swap your cat.

Lastly you don't know what the guy before you was running in his skyline, so change out the oil while you're at it. You may also want to take a look at the clutch, and do any clutch-flywheel upgrades you feel like doing at the time. An upgrade to the cooling system is in order as well. I know Koyo makes a good radiator, and the addition of a better electric cooling system isn't a bad idea as well.

Like I said guys, please add to this. It's basic now, but then again, so is my knowledge. Let me know what should be in here and lets try and keep the postcount down from the newbies (like myself )

Last edited by Strychnine; 03-15-2004 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Nice and simple....I will likely add more info , but later tonight. Ill make it a sticky
Old 03-09-2004, 03:27 PM

my first post, figured I'd make it a good one. Thanks Hy
Old 03-10-2004, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

good stuff. way to make a 'fashionable' entrance to the boards.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:38 PM

this has been really educational! ^_^ well i think another thing someone can add is what should be changed at the same time the engine is being swapped in. I WOULD do it myself if i knew, but anyways seeing how this is a sticky i thought it would be a cool idea.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:05 AM

THINGS YOU SHOULD CONSIDER REPLACING:
O2 SENSOR (1984 200SX CA18ET)
SPARK PLUGS
THERMOSTAT (1990 - 1996 300ZX: 170 DEGREE)
FUEL FILTER (1990 - 1996 300ZX)
OIL FILTER (1990 - 1996 300ZX)
FUEL PUMP (WALBORO 255L, 300ZX, SKYLINE, SUPRA, ETC.)
EXHAUST SYSTEM (3" ANY)
HOSES (ANY HARD, CRACKED, CHAFFED, SPLIT, ETC.)
YOU WILL NEED AN ELECTRIC COOLING FAN
Old 03-15-2004, 06:07 AM

ALSO CHANGE:
OIL (5W -15 OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO RUN)
MANUAL TRANS FLUID (75W-90 OR EQUIVILANT GEAR FLUID)
DIFF FLUID (UNLESS RECENTLY CHANGED IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO CHANGE THIS *** ADDED POWER = MORE STRESS..... SAME FLUID AS THE TRANNY)
Old 03-15-2004, 06:01 PM

DJ, thanks for asking the question, and PRB, your answers were added. I should not that I'm the one who e-mailed you not too long ago, RAna4ian@comcast.net, and more then one answer in the FAQ is thanks to him. Give the man a beer if you ever see him.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:18 PM

Hey anything to advance this swap..... I just want to give back to the community I love.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:55 AM

you know when you do a tune up and what not and you change the rotor and distributor cap, would the 300zx one fit? or would i have to order one from japan that's for the rb20? same question but alternator and starter? reason why i'm asking is because you know after awhile the car begans to be stupid and not start and you find out you need a new starter or what not, i'm just thinking if that were to happen to me in the future when i get the swap if there's one off the american nissans that would fit.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

RBs are all coilpacks, so no Distributor. I believe the KA24DE Alternator works, not sure on the starter.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:26 AM

COIL PACKS ARE 22433-60U01

THESE ARE A INFINITI Q45 NUMBER. ITS CYL 1 OR 2 AND YOU CAN GET THEM BOOTLESS..... IT'LL TAKE A MINIMUM OF 2 DAYS TO RECIEVE.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:11 AM

will I have a problem with the steering rack, coz the RB comes on right-hand drive cars!! Will the stock 240 tranny fit on it or shall I use the RB one??
Old 03-23-2004, 09:23 AM

YOU WILL HAVE TO ADJUST/SHAVE THE DUMP PIPE TO CLEAR THE RACK BOLT. THE RB ONE HAS TO BE USED..... IF YOUR GOING RB20DET IT IS THE SAME TRANNY WITH A DIFFERENT BELLHOUSING, IF YOU GO RB25/26 IT WILL BE A 300ZX STYLE TRANSMISSION.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by PROJECTRB240SX
COIL PACKS ARE 22433-60U01

THESE ARE A INFINITI Q45 NUMBER. ITS CYL 1 OR 2 AND YOU CAN GET THEM BOOTLESS..... IT'LL TAKE A MINIMUM OF 2 DAYS TO RECIEVE.
sorry but i still dont get this...are the only coil pack that a person would want to get is from cyls 1 and 2, the boots are swapable right? thanks

Also there are a list of interchangable parts at www.nissaninfiniticlub.com go to RB section

Quick Reply: RB20/5/6DET Swap FAQ *Read before you ASK*