RB20/5/6DET Swap FAQ *Read before you ASK*

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 12:32 AM
Contributing Member

One thing I wanted to add to this sticky... A huge question that always popped up in pplz minds is the weight factor. Yes the RB is slightly heavier (~60lbs give or take from the KA) But like Cameron (NightXCZ77) has said before: Battery relocation to the rear (IMO mount the battery dead center above the rear diff) and pick up a carbon fiber hood. weight ratio on his RPS13 was something like 52% front 48% rear? I think that was it... but most likely, battery relocation and CF hood should do the trick for any RB swap on any chassis (S13 or S14).

And to even it more out... Pick up a Kicker Solo Baric 10" sub with custom built box that covers up the housing for the rear diff, 2 amps, plus a 1 farad capacitor cap... and ur weight ratios should now be more of a 50 - 50 weight ratio!

OH and one more thing... for the RB26, u cannot use the RB26 ECU, it will constantly spin the front axels after u swap it into ur 240, for some stupid reason, the RB26 ecu does not work in the 240, u will need to pick up a Super FC controller From Apex International (or Apexi) in order to successfully do an RB26 swap. u will also need to change out the RB26 oil pan to the RB25 oil pan (unless u found someone to do the front axel conversion for dirt cheap!) and some other changes to the RB26 to make it RWD only. But most importantly is the Super FC, without that, ur like the Red S14a at Motorsports Dynamics, jus sittin there collectin dust on a nice RB26... Henry from Motorsports Dynamics here in Sacramento CA told me bout the changes/mods to complete the swap. Any one wanna see picks of the Red RB26 in the S14a? hehe I went snap happy when I got my digital camera... Also got picks of Sac's very first R33 (owned by Henry of Motorsports Dynamics) OH! And I got picks of Hubert Youngs S14 (the blue S14a that crashed at D1 Irwindale this year on the practice run) after me and my friend cut it up for parts! Those parts r goin to his new S14 chassis that we're rebuildin for him and Motorsports. PM or email me for the pics of either the S14a or the R33!
Old 04-30-2004, 11:11 PM
Contributing Member

I'm planning on moving the battery, removing the A/C- it looks intact and has pressure but doesn't work, if it's dead it's gone, and I think that installing a aftermarket exhaust mani would save some weight. LOL about the huge stereo, I think it's a bad idea. I've raced alot of cars in Solo-2, and lighter is better, even if the weight dist is a little more off.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

hehe true... but itd be a quicker way for daily drivers to even the weight haha... but yea, on the track goal is to reduce weight. but still, as soon as Im dun with my S14a, its up for sale... I wish I could keep it, but, its not the rite time for me to have one... Struggled like a **** to get it, but when I have it... its not the rite time to own it.

Anyways, My 2 cents:

1.) Battery relocation to the rear (IMO dead center above the rear diff)

2.) Carbon Fiber hood upgrade (along with the minor skeletal modification if u plan on keeping the RB25's stock intake manifold) and for u speed freaks, plz use hood pins on the CF hoods... we dun want picks of ur hood flyin off the car at umpteenth mph aight!?
Old 05-01-2004, 09:33 PM

I thought I'd add a little to this about some problems and solutions....

This last motor I got was running very rough if at all, it would stutter and not perform the way it should. It would foul plugs like it was nobody's business and miss throught the powerband and at idle, then eventually started to die at random.....problem to this was the Crank angle sensor(CAS) after replacing it it ran and idled like an RB is supposed too.

Another thing to look for when getting a motor(doesn't have to be RB, pretty much anything turbo), is oil in the intercooler piping. This last motor had oil and sludge all over in the piping, I thought the turbo was bad but it had minimal shaft play, turns out the turbo was infact bad, just because it doesn't have shaft doesn't mean it isn't bad, the turbo was blowing oil through the intake sending it into the cumbustion chamber fouling plugs. Only fix to this is to replace the turbo, if you order from a place that warrants those types of things make sure you take advantage of it.

Another common problem I see with the swaps is when people try to start the car it won't run, about 90% of the time, the fuel lines are mixed up, feed on the return and vice versa. The feed line(the one with the fuel filter on it) goes to the line that runs around to the back side of the motor to the FPR.

Another thing with RB swaps that I have seen problems with is when you extend the MAFS wires. Sometimes people don't get a good connection on the wires and the car won't rev above 2500rpm and it has an idle that one would think is a vacuum leak, you have to make sure that the wires are in the right spot and have a good connection.

Also, alot of times when you have a motorset, they won't include some of the little things that are required to run the car. Only once in a motorset have I seen it come with these; the two green relays that are near the ECU, those have to be connected or the car will not run. I believe those relays are for the fuel pump.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:48 PM

What exactly is involved with RB20det swap?

I just bought my RB20det and im trying to figure out how much work this is going to be when I try to put it in. If anyone here as already done a RB20det swap could you please tell me what it involved? I drive a 96 s14. Thanks
Old 05-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Not being a dick...but shouldnt you have researched BEFORE you put the money down for a RB20? And have you throughly read this thread, and searched? There is so much info on the RB20
Old 05-06-2004, 03:46 PM

Re: What exactly is involved with RB20det swap?

Originally posted by kjv1987
I just bought my RB20det and im trying to figure out how much work this is going to be when I try to put it in. If anyone here as already done a RB20det swap could you please tell me what it involved? I drive a 96 s14. Thanks
Heres whats involved, taking a motor out of the 240, and putting the RB20 into it, wiring it, then driving it.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:44 AM
Contributing Member

Re: What exactly is involved with RB20det swap?

Originally posted by kjv1987
Go to:

www.night7racing.com

Cameron is the guy from there who posts up here about the RBs in general... I'd recommend talking to him or the other guys from Night7. They can help u out with everything from point a, to point b.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:29 PM

Well, this is my first post, so hi guys, anyway, Me and a friend just completed the rb25 swap in my 95 240sx, it was fairly simple, i could prolly do it in a day now if i had to, theres still a few things im needing, mostly just piping fir the I/C, radiator hoses and exhaust, oh, and the damn shifter they forgot to send me with my tranny. and then after that, its off to the body shop to fix all the dents in it. if anybody has any questions or needs any help, i can try my best.

-Ry
Old 07-05-2004, 02:40 AM
Contributing Member

I hate to be redundant, but am I correct when I am thinking that my 89 240sx motor mounts, and driveshaft will bolt up my RB20 ? I have to purchase or modify my crossmember, but the rest of the connections are fine. If that is true, damn this sounds like fun. We crammed a chevy 350 crate motor into a CRX one time and made it RWD, so this should be easy as all hell. wow I am really starting to like imports more and more. by the way, I dont know if you guys realize it, but you have your **** together way more than the musclecar sites do. No offense to them, cause they are a great source of info also, but this site puts them to shame. Keep up the good work, it doesnt go unnoticed.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:30 AM
Contributing Member

Ive heard the the RB20 is almost exactly similar in swap methods as the SR20, in which u dun have to modify the X-member or do any modifications to the motor mounts... Now as for the drive shaft, Id have to ask and see how far my friend is doing with his RB20 swap.

But pretty much, the RB20 swap is practically identical to the SR20 methods hehe.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:09 AM

does your friend have ne picks using the KA xmember, and also how the oil pan situation goin to be solved?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:26 PM
Contributing Member

I will second 93RPS13's question. pics are worth a thousand.....words, headaches, busted nuckles, and hammers hitting the windshield.
nismo knight, if you find out about the driveshaft situation, please, please, please let me know.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Contributing Member

thought i would mention this. You guys should pool all your pics, tech data, and swap tip/tricks, and make a book out of it. Sell it on the site to help pay for things. What half-way inteligent person wouldnt want to spend a small amount of money to save themself a TON of time, money, and hassle????? not many I know of. A guy did that with swapping V8s into small pickups and he sells those things like crazy.
Anyway, it was just a thought....
Old 07-07-2004, 06:21 AM

i would think that would be a bad idea cuz everyone would buy the book and never come back to the forums to ask question and gave answers........

Quick Reply: RB20/5/6DET Swap FAQ *Read before you ASK*