Road Race/AutoX If you like road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Blacks In Motorsports, Why Are We Lacking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 AM

Blacks In Motorsports, Why Are We Lacking?

Well, this is quite possibly the deepest post you will ever get from me, but it’s really bothering me, quite a bit. As most of you already know, I’m a long time SCCA racer and have recently joined the bandwagon and acquired a membership to the NASA. I can honestly say that from event to event, whether I’m competing, course working, judging, scoring, timing or whatever may have you, I’m always one of the ONLY black people at the event.

I can ALSO honestly say, with full knowledge, that there have been events that I was scheduled to attend and have missed and have had my friends say, “You would have been the only brother there….”

Why is that?

Why is it that when I flip open one of my monthly subscriptions to Indy Car, SportsCar or Grassroots Motorsports Magazine that my fellow brethren aren’t to be heard from?

What’s wrong with this picture? Are we simply not as interested as the White, Asian and Hispanic community. I mean, all of the other bases are covered. Take Formula D, NASA Rally and SCCA Club Racing for instance. Each one of those fields of competition have the three listed above. White, Hispanic and Asian. Keep in mind, when I say “White” I don’t mean JUST Anglo Saxon, I mean Irish, Jewish, Spanish Descent, European, British, Scottish, etc…

Sometimes I honestly feel alone in the fact that I’m an African-American male that is truly into motorsports in all of it’s aspects. I’m not, and repeat NOT, into “*****es and ho’s” (figuratively speaking), big spinning rims on big body Cadillacs with fur lined dashes. I don’t go to car shows just to see the women there (although it’s definitely a nice perk  ) I go there to see what new products are on the market, I’m there to meet other enthusiasts and converse on the latest racing formats and fields of interest. I like to see what my fellow racer thinks is “cool” and what is out there to try to help me out as a driver.

I’m sorry if this may be a soft-spot for some of you. I’m NOT trying to be controversial or trying to come across as a racist or bigot but I’m just simply stating what I see everyday I look at our precious sport and art form. And . . .to be honest . . .it bothers me a whole lot. Why? I’m not sure, maybe because I know that if we really put our minds to it we could prove to be some of the most talented drivers this planet has ever seen, but because more of us are concerned with our next buck to be had or which set of shoes will look best with our throwback, these facets are simply overlooked.

If more blacks (not just African Americans) cared about the actual sport of driving vice which sub would give us more “King Kong In The Trunk” then I think maybe we’d have more of a driving force, no pun intended, that would put us on the map. Until that happens, we’re going to continue to fall to the way-side.

I don’t know, this is just something that continues to trouble me. I mean, I love the NASA and the SCCA, but I wish I simply saw more of my race out there driving to the limit just as I do everytime I get out there. As my friend Philip (with ONE L HAHA) put it, “Go out there and drive at 10/10ths”. Once again, a white guy, but he knows what he’s talking about. I’ve YET to hear a fellow African-American say that to me or even mention that in a conversation. Even some of the more car-savvy ones don’t care about how they’re driving as much as they care about WHAT they’re driving. They don’t see the point of driving a modified AE86 or E36 if they can afford to drive an E92 or SL55 AMG.

It also bothers me that when I tell people that I’m an instructor with the SCCA that they look at me for some burden of proof. I know it’s simply because I’m black! And I know it’s true because I’ve seen Whites, Asians and Hispanics bring up the same sort of forthright and get treated with a sense of Awe, Amaze and Respect. Why is it that when you tell people that you’re a purist in motorsports and you LOVE what you do, watching others do what you do and being around those that are into what you’re into that you get looked at with a sense of reservation simply because of your skin color?

I don’t know . . . .it just bothers me. . . .

Backfires anyone?

-Stig
Old 12-11-2007, 10:23 AM

I agree that there is a definite disparity in the amount of blacks in auto-racing, and that disparity is much smaller in almost every other aspect of cars. If you go to a car show you will see far more african-americans sporting big rims and huge subs then you will ever see on race day. I have to say that I think times are changing. At the go-cart track I go to in Greensboro the best racer I have seen there was a black guy that wasn't more than 17 years old, and he told me that he was a championship winning go-cart driver from up North. And I believe it too, considering it was his first time there and he laid down the fastest time of the day in a regular kart. Also look at Formula 1, Hamilton is one of the most talented driver's I have seen, and hopefully he will inspire a new generation of young black males(and females) to drive harder and better, and compete.

Last edited by Kaiser; 12-11-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

atleast you have a race im a mut so i feel like i dont belong anywhere but i do love Motor sports
Old 12-11-2007, 11:46 AM

hah, same here. also a mutt, never felt a sense of ethnocentricity towards any group. but all i can say is, way to lead by example stig!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

way too long of a read but i agree somewhat.

although in some cases the hispanics get the same kind of attention as whites for the wrong reasons. the time i spent in georgia people kept asking what part of mexico i was from and why i spoke english, "so good".

apparently mexicans only live in mexico and it's quite the accomplishment to learn another language.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
way too long of a read but i agree somewhat.

although in some cases the hispanics get the same kind of attention as whites for the wrong reasons. the time i spent in georgia people kept asking what part of mexico i was from and why i spoke english, "so good".

apparently mexicans only live in mexico and it's quite the accomplishment to learn another language.
you should have told them, the correct way to say it is "so well"
Old 12-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

i did.
they just looked at me funny.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:04 PM

hah, and also, apparently if one speaks spanish, they are automatically mexican. i'm part costa rican and was raised speaking spanish, but when i speak spanish, everyone always automatically assumes i'm part mexican.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

The Race Card! (Chapelle Show)
Old 12-11-2007, 02:26 PM

Lewis Hamilton is black, and I think he is awesome. But there is a large disparity when it comes to racing, and I honestly don't know why that is.
Most of my black friends are more interested in loud systems and making their cars look good than going fast, I know that much.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

I think some of it has to do with society. The black community is so tight that anybody who goes against the grain gets made fun of/ beat up/ shot. Think of the differences between the white community and the black community. There is much more "clique" diversity in the white community, and i do know this from experience, as I work in a heavily black neighborhood and have black friends. If you go against the grain in the black community you are much more likely to be ridiculed, so the mentality that "I am part of the black community so its my responsibility to rep the hood and build a 'donk' and put twelve subwoofers in my trunk." I'm sure this stems all the way back to the days of slavery, when blacks had to band together. Also think of NASCAR, especially, where its a lot of redneck good old boys, who kept blacks out intentionally for a long time. But like I said before, its society that keeps blacks out of motorsports both from within the black community as well as from racial tension within motorsports.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Man I was watching Horsepower TV
And believe it or not there were ALOT of African-American drivers actually competing in the races!
And that is down south (like TN,AL,etc), so you know they gotta deal with the good 'ol boys.

There are black people in motorsports but maybe its just a matter of interest in motor sports?
Old 12-11-2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by RuizXIII
. . . .

There are black people in motorsports but maybe its just a matter of interest in motor sports?
Not in the grassroots. The drag racing scene is pretty well populated with the "minority" however grassroots motorsports such as autocross, club racing and yes . . .even drifting, simply doesn't have the popular connotation within the black community as say . . .spinning rims do . . . .so you tend to not see a lot of brothers actually racing. My question, which I realized that I have already partially answered . . .is why.

-Stig
Old 12-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Cliff Notes: Were the brothers at in the real racing
Old 12-15-2007, 09:26 PM

im half black but ive lived with my mom and her side (the white side) my whole life im absolutely in love with racing and that influence comes from that side ...but i think if i would have lived with my dad instead it would have been opposite noobody on that side is into racing so i think its just lack of interest

Quick Reply: Blacks In Motorsports, Why Are We Lacking?