Road Race/AutoX If you like road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

tryin to cut weight for autox

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:53 PM

tryin to cut weight for autox

ok, so here's the deal, in order to meet my goal i need to lose another 13lbs off my car, and it needs to be out of the front end somewhere. i have already removed the spare tire, jack, wiper fluid system, fog light assemblies, and put in a light weight battery. so here are my 2 questions:

1. what else can i remove out of the front half of the car? (i thought about taking out the a/c, but it's kind of a necessity here in phoenix)

2. i know the sunroof in my car weighs a lot (and the roof is a horrible place for weight), has anyone ever seen or heard of some type of "replacement" where you can take all those heavy parts out of the roof (glass roof and tracks and motor and all) and simply put in some light weight insert?
Old 11-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

try cutting back on the cheeses burgers i'm sure that will help.
while you're at it i'm sure the engine can run just fine with 2qrts of oil and a pint of coolant.

there i said it.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 11-26-2008 at 08:49 AM. Reason: it's been a long day
Old 11-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

take out headlights.. why do you want to take weight from the front for auto-x your killing the s14's superior ballance
Old 11-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

to be honest OP... there are cars that are much bigger than your and they are much faster on auto-x courses and it doesnt have anything to do with hp...

you dont need to drop any weight. you just need seat time along with proper balanced suspension and tires
Old 11-26-2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
to be honest OP... there are cars that are much bigger than your and they are much faster on auto-x courses and it doesnt have anything to do with hp...

you dont need to drop any weight. you just need seat time along with proper balanced suspension and tires
believe me, seat time and tires are my #1 priority, but that doesnt mean i cant drop some weight at the same time
Old 11-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

....... i understand that.. but the s14 is not a mammoth car... is all we are trying to say.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:50 PM

a real CF hood. Done.

Do you really think 13pds will change the car so drastically that your times will improve?
Old 11-26-2008, 10:24 PM

cut the roof off
Old 11-27-2008, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fries
a real CF hood. Done.

Do you really think 13pds will change the car so drastically that your times will improve?
you must keep the OEM hood, and no it wont be a drastic change, but i had a personal goal to lose 100lbs off my car (just wanted to see if i could) and i am 13 lbs away.

and hey biggamehit you guys are right, the 240 def is not a mammoth car (owned a firebird before, now theres a fatty), this is just a small personal goal of mine.

oh and happy thanksgiving to all
Old 11-27-2008, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

ahh ic... how much do you weigh?? this is not a joke lol im being serious.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:14 AM

I'm just going to say this, and I'm unsubscribing from this thread because my brain hurts now. As I've learned by actually getting out there and putting my but in the seat and my car on the pavement is that seat time is phenomenal.

That said, the most difficult classes to win in, are the lower classes such as stock (the most difficult), STS, STX and others like that. The classes where you've got cars that are completely gutted with crap all over them and engine mods aplenty are usually the easiest because that's what every newbie thinks has to be done.

So it usually looks like this:

The better drivers are usually in the stock classes and the classes immediately ahead of stock.

The novice drivers are usually in the higher classes because they feel that the only way to win in an autocross is to make the CAR faster not the DRIVER.

Done and unsubscribed.

-Dave
Old 11-27-2008, 10:18 AM

FYI: I removed my sunroof, and a lot of other stuff, like 200 lbs, you can check it out in my build thread.

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:11 PM

FAL fans would probably help actually swtiching from that clutch fan and taking out the shroud. IDK.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
ahh ic... how much do you weigh?? this is not a joke lol im being serious.
149lbs, and im 5'9", so not exactly a big guy but i do work in construction so i gota have some meat on my bones
Old 11-28-2008, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by FuriousZ
FYI: I removed my sunroof, and a lot of other stuff, like 200 lbs, you can check it out in my build thread.

Good luck.
id love to check your build thread man, where is it located in here? or better yet, link?

dave-
well i'm runnin in STS and yes it is very competitive and there are very few mods allowed. and you are wise dave, as yes seat time is always the best thing you can do for yourself and your car, which is why i always enroll in the driver school and any other extra events i can find in town, and i would advise the same to anyone else

Quick Reply: tryin to cut weight for autox