Road Race/AutoX If you like road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

tryin to cut weight for autox

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter
I'm just going to say this, and I'm unsubscribing from this thread because my brain hurts now. As I've learned by actually getting out there and putting my but in the seat and my car on the pavement is that seat time is phenomenal.

That said, the most difficult classes to win in, are the lower classes such as stock (the most difficult), STS, STX and others like that. The classes where you've got cars that are completely gutted with crap all over them and engine mods aplenty are usually the easiest because that's what every newbie thinks has to be done.

So it usually looks like this:

The better drivers are usually in the stock classes and the classes immediately ahead of stock.

The novice drivers are usually in the higher classes because they feel that the only way to win in an autocross is to make the CAR faster not the DRIVER.

Done and unsubscribed.

-Dave
BS i was competative in STX now that im in SM for my engine swap its not even fair im up against the fastest cars that go a 600awhp audi he gets good times and a 500awhp sti and he always gets the best times out of anyone.... so i did the oposite i went from a place where i can compete to somewhere that i have no chance. anyway i dont care just for fun i might even enter a rally-x with my 240 lol

lol f it if i dont beat the **** out of my car then why do i even have one
Old 11-28-2008, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by battosaii930
BS i was competative in STX now that im in SM for my engine swap its not even fair im up against the fastest cars that go a 600awhp audi he gets good times and a 500awhp sti and he always gets the best times out of anyone.... so i did the oposite i went from a place where i can compete to somewhere that i have no chance. anyway i dont care just for fun i might even enter a rally-x with my 240 lol

lol f it if i dont beat the **** out of my car then why do i even have one

You have to remember that I'm talking about REAL autocrosses held by REAL sanctioning bodies like the SCCA and NASA . . .not those free-for-alls that are hosted by EA and the Need For Speed Underground League . . . In a real autocross, it's drivers that separate the top rankings, not the machines.

-Dave
Old 11-30-2008, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter
You have to remember that I'm talking about REAL autocrosses held by REAL sanctioning bodies like the SCCA and NASA . . .not those free-for-alls that are hosted by EA and the Need For Speed Underground League . . . In a real autocross, it's drivers that separate the top rankings, not the machines.

-Dave

i was looking for the "werd" smiley to post here to show my rockin agreement with this statement, but we don't have it, so ya, WERD!
Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

I say you turn your back seat into this...

Removing the Rear Seat is another 39lbs

Now gutting the rear would leave you this...

Name:  GuttedRear1.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  82.3 KB

Name:  GuttedRear2.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  71.2 KB

A quick trip to your local audio shop could leave you with this...

Name:  GuttedRear3.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  74.4 KB

Name:  GuttedRear4.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  92.5 KB

Last edited by 240-kid; 11-30-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ilikegofast
ok, so here's the deal, in order to meet my goal i need to lose another 13lbs off my car, and it needs to be out of the front end somewhere. i have already removed the spare tire, jack, wiper fluid system, fog light assemblies, and put in a light weight battery. so here are my 2 questions:

1. what else can i remove out of the front half of the car? (i thought about taking out the a/c, but it's kind of a necessity here in phoenix)

2. i know the sunroof in my car weighs a lot (and the roof is a horrible place for weight), has anyone ever seen or heard of some type of "replacement" where you can take all those heavy parts out of the roof (glass roof and tracks and motor and all) and simply put in some light weight insert?

I know it's a bit late to answer this question. But if it is auto X, and you do not have a passenger I would remove.......

Passenger seat
floor MATS
Old 11-30-2008, 12:23 PM

You could also go CRAZY and mimic my old Neon . . .

Name:  DSC_6672.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  104.3 KB
Name:  DSC_6666.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  114.1 KB
Name:  DSC_6667.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  104.2 KB

Completely gutted, light weight wheels, light weight motor components, no A/C parts, no P/S parts. No mirror motors, no window motors, the electric locking mechanisms removed, unnecessary panels and parts removed (such as dome lights, corner lights, heater core, blower, axillary fans, etc)
Old 11-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't even know where to start to hot wire that thing lol
Old 12-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by 240-kid
I say you turn your back seat into this...

Removing the Rear Seat is another 39lbs

Now gutting the rear would leave you this...
ok, brush up on your autox rules guys, can't remove the back seat in DSP, and vinnie you can't remove the passenger seat either. you can however swap out the passenger seat and driver seat for lighter weight seats, which i will be doing soon and have already accounted for, so after that i still need to lose 13 lbs.

and floor mats already have been removed

Last edited by hatrick6; 12-03-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:43 PM

Carbon fiber hood, or even better no hood at all.
carbon Fiber Fenders
MOMO steering wheel.
Aluminum short throw shifter.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
Carbon fiber hood, or even better no hood at all.
carbon Fiber Fenders
MOMO steering wheel.
Aluminum short throw shifter.
once again, no carbon fiber hood or fenders allowed in DSP, but the MOMO steering wheel and aluminum shifter are a good idea, does the MOMO steering wheel actually weigh less?
Old 12-04-2008, 06:14 AM

Okay, I really REALLY want to lock this thread, it's going no where.

There are a few things you have to remember:

1. You're asking a forum with a bunch of people that do NOT autocross regularly if at all.

2. You have to remember that autocross is a battle of SKILL not tuning/cheating.

3. Your car is probably competitive enough as it sits.

Why don't you stop trying to "lighten" your car by 2 or 3 pounds and just drive, get good at DRIVING! Stop trying to do little "tricks" because it's just going to give you a lightweight car that you do NOT have the skill to drive.

I'm sorry for being harsh at this point but SERIOUSLY, I'm soo sick and tired of seeing people autocross with these tuned machines that they have no idea how to drive. Go drive the car, because what's going to wind up happening is, you're going to go through trying to lighten crap out of your car, then you'll get into driving and you'll just get OBLITERATED by some guy who is in the same class, with a heavier car, simply because he or she is a better driver. Then what's the point, now you've just reduced the resale value of your car. Congratulations.

Honestly dude, autocross is a battle of skill, not of machine, learn how to drive your car, you OBVIOUSLY haven't maxed out the potential of your car as it sits otherwise you WOULDN'T be having this conversation with us. You don't know how to drive your car properly so GO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE!

Then as you do more events, start talking to the people IN YOUR CLASS who have done modifications and ask them what they've done.

SHEESH!

-Dave
Old 12-04-2008, 08:44 AM

once again, no carbon fiber hood or fenders allowed in DSP, but the MOMO steering wheel and aluminum shifter are a good idea, does the MOMO steering wheel actually weigh less?
The srs airbag steering wheel is extremely heavy. MOMO steering wheel is smaller and aluminum. The momo steering wheel weighs about 6lb.s less than the srs airbag steering wheel. Aluminum shifter also weighs about 1 lb less than the stock steel shifter.

So that is about a 7 lb total in weight reduction.

As far as auto X rules you should clarify if it is NASA, SCCA, or other. 24 hours of lemons is an auto x event and big ugly yellow school busses compete in those events.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
The srs airbag steering wheel is extremely heavy. MOMO steering wheel is smaller and aluminum. The momo steering wheel weighs about 6lb.s less than the srs airbag steering wheel. Aluminum shifter also weighs about 1 lb less than the stock steel shifter.

So that is about a 7 lb total in weight reduction.

As far as auto X rules you should clarify if it is NASA, SCCA, or other. 24 hours of lemons is an auto x event and big ugly yellow school busses compete in those events.
hmmm ill have to check out a steering wheel then, and i race in scca autox, any opinions in nasa vs. scca?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:59 PM

hmmm ill have to check out a steering wheel then, and i race in scca autox, any opinions in nasa vs. scca?

NASA is better, SCCA is dieing.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:04 PM

The SCCA isn't dying, it just caters towards a more mature crowd where as the NASA caters towards the younger crowd. Seriously???

They both have their high points and low points, if you want good grassroots autocross, the SCCA puts on more events than the NASA in that area. However, for track days, it looks as if the NASA holds the candle there. The SCCA also holds more club racing events, while the NASA still holds it's own rally . . .the SCCA has rally America and better a better time trial setup, but the NASA has US Drift.

It's all a matter of how much money you have and what sort of racing you're getting into. I'm a former SCCA member and a current NASA member, I can tell you that the NASA is just for the younger racers while the SCCA tends to call out the older guys.

-Dave

PS: SCCA Spec Miata drivers are also faster than NASA Spec Miata drivers. However, the NASA has SPec Focus, Neon and E30 . . .WOOT!

Quick Reply: tryin to cut weight for autox