Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

Blew my lower rad hose doing 100 mph

Old 06-06-2011, 01:14 AM

Blew my lower rad hose doing 100 mph

Howdy,

As the title says, either i blew it off or blew a damn big hole it in. as it is 1 am and it blew around 11:20 it was already to dark to look and try and fix it on the side of the highway, So i nursed it home with water and 40 mph speeds and coasting on the downhills. It took me 4 hours to drive it home which would have normally been a 45 min drive.

Anyway!! I need some tips(if you would be so kind) as to acess the situation, obviouslly im waiting until first light to atempt to do so and fix it so its drivable without over heating so i can get to work. +_+ Anndd while at work if it is slow should be able to properly fix it.

now, Because i had to drive it without any coolant what-so-ever. And pulled over everytime the temp gague reached the first warning marker. Would have I damaged my motor in any permenent way?

Thank you for your help.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

i got a tip for ya... dont go 100mph on the highway!

and your motor should be fine after it over heated... unless you warped the head... if your head gasket blows next time you drive it, youll know if its warped or not...
Old 06-06-2011, 11:19 PM

well, it didn't blow a head, thankfully.

But i did figure out the issue, it wasn't the lower rad hose. It was the drain plug. So i looked it over and put a bolt into the rad that fit for now with some plumbers tape and im thinking i need a new water pump too. because the bolt held and didn't leak except a few drips right, but it still got really hot and i wasn't drivin her hard at all. just slow smooth shifting and speed limit driving.

Haha, thanks for the tip buddy.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Haha, the drain plug has broken off on me before but it was when I was backing into a parking spot. I couldnt help but laugh!

and did you bleed the coolant system after you filled it back up? if you didnt it will overheat but blow cold air when you turn the heat on in the car.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:03 PM

I learned that the hard way, Haha. But it has been bled now. But its still not the proper plug. its a bolt with plumbers tape on it. It is holding suprisingly, and the bolt is in so i dont see why i should get the proper one and waste money.. Haha.

But yes i did bleed the system. I noticed after i did it the first time that it still over heated, But after filling more coolant in and water that the dripping stopped. and it hasn't overheated yet sence that day. It did it once but then i added more water then it hasn't. hmm.

I dont want to push her in case of something going wrong, but i do want to just to see if it is working properly.. Haha. But i need to get a new belt before i do that.. Haha.

thanks buddy.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:43 AM

Okay, So i replaced the upper belt, the car stopped squeeling but it over heats a **** load now. and before it squeeled but didn't overheat.

could it be my cap?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

could be the cap, but it might be your thermostat. have you checked that?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:36 AM

doing that later today, And my cap is burnt so im going to do that anyway.

But i did some looking and fixing yesterday after i posted that and it turns out that the new belt i put on wasn't working at all so my water pump or power stearing wasn't working. I tried tightening the tenser but it wasn't even lined up right, so i fixed that and tightened the belt up. its real tight now. and i got power stearing back and i havn't over heated yet.

But on that subject I will be replacing the cap and the over flow tank, As there is still a hole in my tank by the cap. and the cap like i said is burnt on the rad.

I will also drive for a longer period for more than 15 min to see if it actually worked. Doing that later today. but im still kinda freaked that if i break down im screwd. so i will load my tools up and head out.

this should be fun eh. Haha.

thanks for you help eh.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:36 PM

So as it turns out it was the tensoner the whole time. It was broken. the part where the nut on the bottom goes, was just busted off. So i went to a wrecker and grabed a new bolt, nut and thingy, i dont know what to call the screw type that goes into the bolt that slides. but im sure you know what i mean.

So i put it in and the car hasn't over heated because the pumps are still working just fine. Anyway, Moral of the story is, start small then work up. Haha.

thanks for your help buddy.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

its always something stupid small! glad you got it fixed!
Old 08-19-2011, 12:54 PM

had the same issue when I was still stock, cept for I blew the upper rad hose, getting a little redneck on, a roll of duct tape and water I was able to nurse her back home.