Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

2JZ-GTE vs. RB25DET

Old 06-22-2008, 01:30 AM
Contributing Member

I'm not bashing on the 25, I just letting you know that youre comparing an engine that was built for non-GTR model Skylines that were far cheaper to produce. To compare specs levels correctly, you would have to compare it to the non-turbo 2J. Toyota's response to Nissans RB26 was the 2JZGTE (GT class engine vs GT class engine)

And actually I've worked on both engines. In all honesty, trying to compare the 25 to the 2J is futile in all aspects. I've worked with many who have been in this game before I was born, all have agreed with what I have found out about both engines. The 25 is a nice engine, but if you break both engines down, the 2J was/is far more advanced over the 25. Im just answering the guys question from a pure mechanical side.

There is nothing wrong with the 25, but again, the only comparable engine there is from Nissan against the 2J is the 26.

But if youre comparing facts by saying rwd vs rwd, then you have it all wrong. In order to get a 25 into the 2J's still streetable high hp range, Id say above 6-700 hp, the engine itself has to be fully built vs a 2J that only needs minor head work and fuel system. 2J stock bottom end has been proven to handle up to 800 hp before you need to think about forged pistons, rods etc. Just trying to get a 25 to perform hp wise close to this range with a stock bottom end is a huge gamble. Most 25's Ive seen out of Japan recorded up to about 4-500 hp range on stock bottom end.

Another thing about the 25 I see as a flaw, the intake piping runs over both the engin and part of the turbo/manifold creating unnecessary heat, warming up the compressed air thats already gone through the FMIC. To avoid that, you have to get a throttle body from Greddy or HKS, where as a 2JZGTE, the intake is clear from all of that.

And what you say about the Supra in Japan not being up there, youre very mistaken. Ab-Flug S900 has been around all of Japan known to beat many GT-Rs and FDs. Lets not forget Mr. Nagata's Top Secret Supra beast. HKS has built a good number of Supras that have been known to be some of the fastest built in Japan and the USA. An example of that happening:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4yAX3KbmD20

Ryan Woon's Supra (WOTM's first shop Supra to break 10 sec barrier)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eATX_Y_5mC8

In my years being under Motorsport Dynamics/Team Falken, even before then, I have yet to see an RB25 push over 500hp. I've heard of a small handfull around 600, but they were fully built motors. And if you really look around and talk with the big heavy hitters in the Japanese scene, it has always been Supra vs Skyline.

Getting back on topic, the question basically boils down to this: RB25 which is an engine built for the average consumer vs. 2JZGTE which was/is a detuned GTspec engine. Since both motors cost just as much and aftermarket parts cost literally the same, I would pick the detuned GTspec engine that has the higher hp potential. Especially when I know that on stock bottom ends, the 25 would stress out harder at say 500 hp whereas the 2J wouldnt be breaking a sweat.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by gismonismo
wow now thats not nice man,the only problems you find with a rb25 is oil pump which changing and its all good. I'm boosting on 18 to 23 with just a oil pump and a metal head gasket and so far so good. 2jzs are good but which one is better still remains mystery. yall see it soon.and a rb 26 there no comparison,so chill bro.your just guessing and reading too much mags perhaps too much playstation.top brands in japan is rbs,fds,2jzs. The fastest car in japan is skyline and fds sow get it right. Why above 500hp your supra aint going no where.rwd nothing else to say.So to keep it even Its RWD vs RWD.Im building the same power as he is no dif.if he builds 1200hp I'll build 1200hp.If ya into building fast cars theres no cheap shots.

Not to burst your bubble. But the 2Jz not only holds the highest amount of HP it also has a considerable amount of rev to it's displacement (bore/stroke) size. It is known to be the engine for all dyno queens that swap 2Jz into the s-chassis, and it is notoriuos for it's high HP figures. An RB25det NEO is much better in comparison to the RB26dett due to it's single turbo and large torque band which is produced from it's effecient burning enviornmentally friendly combustion chamber.
It's really comparing apples to oranges. RB's are more affordable than 2Jz's. RB's do make a considerable amount of power for it's displacement to boost. Overall displacement is your major factor for which engine will overall determine which is better than the other. Higher displacement on less boost makes more power. A larger cylinder size will atomize air to fuel more effeciently than a smaller chamber would, thats just a FACT.
Have ou also noticed the difference in gearing for the differential and transmission of a 2Jz compared to an RB25? Hands down the drivetrain of the 2Jz spanks the RB's drivetrain..

Now get this right! I'm only going to say it once. The skyline GT-R's are faster off the line and obviously handle better than supra.
1.) because all wheel drive is a major factor for grip which improves launch.
2.) the suspension handeling system of the Skyline GT-R (ATTESA) has been known to be the best capabile handeling system designed for a sports car, at an affordable price.

But now your talking about engine swapping into a 240sx/silvia.... There is no Attessa system and there is no, all wheel drive handeling.
If you put 2 s-chassis side by side one with an RB25detNEO and or RB26dett, and compare that to the s-chassis with the 2Jz. Hands down the RB's get spanked on, with less boost applied to the 2Jz, and a much, much larger torque band....

Now I know NismoKNIGHT personally and he doesn't play with PS3's and read magazines on hype to give you his opinion on engine swapping or modification. NISMO KNIGHT knows what he is talking about, and has worked for the shop motorsport Dynamics, in sacramento California. I actually have him come out to drift events and video tape footage for us as well. He has room to talk and give you his opinion.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:45 PM

ok hold up as long as you guys were talking about speeds in gears my buddy has a honda civic with a motor swap and his car does 80 in 2nd onlly at 6500rpm why is that when i rode in other hondas before and they seemed to only go about 50 hitting redline in second before?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Could be many factors, mainly how tall the trans and diff gears are in that particular set-up. Corvettes (for example) have really tall gears, especially the Z06 which can do something like 80 in second also. So theres many things you have to look at.

Other then that, it could be a freak of nature.

What kind of swap is it? What trans and diff is he using?
Old 07-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Banned

wow tech talk bll sht ah?lol ya know something man I'm sorry to say this but you know sht,stop playing ya playstation,and build a 2jz and bring it over here,Or .....just because ya herd someone pushing 1200hp doesnt mean hes runing 9s lol Ive seen little hondas kicking there @s all the time sow dont come here with ya none sence 2jz fanatic bll crap,buy one and then talk.what a joke lol
thanks for the laught bro
Ive builded two 2jzs and yeah there have unlimited potencial lol but no grip
if you build one you will know what im talking about
theres 3 240s in the usa runing awd with a rb26 bro one you must know Full Race
lol.lol. what a joke lol.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:42 PM

Your a joke and your english sucks, I highly doubt you know how to put on a head gasket...
Unless you have proof STFU and get out of this forum.
I will have you sh#t canned, if you chose to keep up your sh#tty don't know sh%t attitude.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 07-24-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

wow tech talk bll sht ah?lol ya know something man I'm sorry to say this but you know sht,stop playing ya playstation,and build a 2jz and bring it over here,Or .....just because ya herd someone pushing 1200hp doesnt mean hes runing 9s lol Ive seen little hondas kicking there @s all the time sow dont come here with ya none sence 2jz fanatic bll crap,buy one and then talk.what a joke lol
thanks for the laught bro
For one, Ive worked on more Supras than youve had wet dreams about.

And second, Full Race charges way too much for their custom work. For 35K, I'd rather get a fully built Supra that has a MORE RELIABLE chassis that hasnt been hacked and re-welded.

Another thing, "no grip"??? I take it your the new kid who thinks racing means drop the clutch and floor the gas pedal. Theres something called tire spec, diff gear ratio, trans gear ratio and most importantly, THROTTLE RESPONSE! i.e. FOOT WORK! The last Supra we built layed out 735 at the wheels, after the owner broke it in, he ran low 10's all night long at the track. No wheel slippage there, pure flat out *** hauling speed.

So you can pretty much get off the Nissan is all mighty, granted both RB26 and 2J have advantages and disadvantages, it boils down to what you can afford. Realistically, an RB26 is way out of the average person's budget. I know this as well as YOU may remember the Gold S13 from Motorsport Dynamics under Team Falken that had an RB26 under the hood and yes I helped build that car too. I know how much money was needed to get that project up and running as bad *** as it is today. In no way, as I mentioned, will the 26 be an affordable swap.

The difference between you and I, I have clear grammar AND I actually worked on cars that are pretty much well still running on the streets of Sacramento and other parts of California. Unlike you, I dont believe working on a car on playstation actually counts as working on a car in real life.

Lets not forget that the last time I played PS, it was when GT 1 was on PS1. After that, I decided to get out of my room and work on real cars in a real shop.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:42 PM

Wow, this thread is old..sorry for the disruption, but damn.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:09 PM

i like nosmoknight.... hes pretty much my hero right now o an btw, u have worked on more cars than i have had wet dreams about and i envy u lol
Old 07-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by IPWNU
Wow, this thread is old..sorry for the disruption, but damn.
Yeah, it is old, I'm going to contact a mod to lock this one up. This discussion has been done over and over even before I joined this forum... 4-5 years ago?