Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Chevy V8 powered 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 10:47 AM

who cares anyway? You guys that wanna keep it ALL nissan, go ahead. But you have to be open minded to other peoples decisions. If he wants a small block v8 in a i-4 car then go right ahead and do it. What you think about YOUR car is all that matters
Old 03-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

Reasons I would go with a V8 240:

1 - Price and availability of parts. This motor and parts for it are everywhere.

2 - Power. Do we even need to discuss specifics? You can build one of these not only to have a mice power peak of 300hp, but also a very wide torque curve.

3 - Weight. I would bet that the sbc is lighter than the RB, and will be shorter as well - putting less weight in front of the centerline of the front wheels.

4 - Suspension. American pony cars are great in the 1/4 mile, but often come with suspension designs dating back decades. The 240's suspension, especially the rear, is light years ahead of most domestics. Where the US 240 lacks is where the domestic excels - under the hood. It seems like a great way to combine what I consider one of the best handling cars around with one of the most powerful machines available here.

Reasons I would avoid going with a V8 in a 240:

1 - Complexity. This is my daily driver. And while I know the sbc is a stout and proven motor, many of the problems in keeping a car running are in the little details like wiring, sensors, etc. With this swap there is no FSM.

2 - I like the I4. I just do. There may be no good reason for it, just a preference. It's not even a loyalty to Nissan thing or an import v. domestic thing. If I had 4 S13's and a big budget, I would first want a KA24DET, then an SR20DET, then the V8 and then an RB. If I could have a fifth, I'd also want one with a Buick Grand National motor (3.8 v6 turbo) or GMC Cyclone / Typhoon motor (4.3 v6 turbo).

I'm not saying all these reasons have equal weight. I'm just trying to inset a little logic into the turf war.

-Justin
Old 03-05-2003, 01:20 PM

If it's a price thing then why are you even fixing up a Import. You can go cheap and go domestic if you want. I'm not just talking about the engine but the same with the LSD and suspension products they to are going to be allot more expensive as the Domestic products. I'm not talking s**t towards domestic, I have friends that have them and they have knowledge about imports and totally understand them, but they too wanted to go cheap or they are just more into the domestics then imports which is cool.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

I did start with domestics. I had 3 f-bodies, I spent a good deal of money upgrading the suspension on one of them. 16" wheels with 245/50/16 tires all around. Koni adjustable shocks/struts, all polyurethane bushings and upgraded sway bars. I thought the thing handled great!

Then I crashed it and bought an S12 as a temporary car. The stock S12 with crappy little tires handled better than the upgraded Firebird had. Although it only had about 90hp stock, it only weighed 2520 pounds after I installed the system in it. That is when I became an import fan - I scrapped my plans to find another f-body and never looked back.

Graham Chapman (Lotus designer) said "It's easier to add power than to add lightness." He is completely right. You can scoot a tiny lightweight FWD car through a lot of tight courses faster than you can get a RWD car that is 50% heavier with 100% more power.

That is why I chose my 240. I'm very familiar with the cars, have been playing with Nissans for years now (three S12's and this S13). There are things that the 240 chassis is capable of that an American pony car will probably not be able to do. As for acceleration, the 240 can be made to do that too.

I'm not saying that the pony cars are all crap. They have come along... but it is cheaper to meet my overall handling / acceleration needs with the 240. It's cheaper and easier to make the 240 fast than to make a Camaro handle like it's 800 pounds lighter.

-Justin
Old 03-06-2003, 07:37 AM

V8-240sx, where you at in detroit? I live in Grosse Pointe which is like 5min from detroit, i would love to check out your ride with that v8....
Old 03-06-2003, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

i know fully well that as soon as i get the money, i'm dropping an american engine in my car.....a nice big v8

supercharged
Old 03-06-2003, 09:49 PM

I come form quebec in canada so my english is not perfect...
In october past, I've put a 350GM in a 240 89 without motor. The 350 was already to me before. I swap the motor and the tranny. It fits very well. But the shaft to the wheel(dont know in eng) dont support the power(about 440hp at crank). So I was obligated to put stronger shafts. For the moment, the car is stored and the swap is finished for the moment. I hurry to see the time on the ¼. I hope 13sec...
I will put good tires slick for the summer...maybe 205/55/15.
The motor cost over 8000$can in 93 for the upgrade. it was for a camaro but the car was sell for a good price.
It's a stupid project but the feeling of a 350 in a 240 is
Old 03-06-2003, 10:06 PM

and I forgot....I've a small problem of front suspension....the engine is a bit heavier than stock engine But it's not a big problem for now
Old 07-06-2003, 08:20 AM

i know this has been dead for awhile... but how much is the kit??
Old 07-07-2003, 03:04 AM

You can put any engine in any car?

Nah dude i dont think so... in fact its pretty much a ***** to swap any foriegn engine in.

also i just realized domestics are so tight i mean the engines they had in the 60s are comparable to everything now days lol in fact they probably beat alot of stuff comming out now days. There primative but genius none the less

its freaking 30-40 years ago

ya ill alwayz be a domestic fan, especially cause i lived in japan for 6 months and they luv domestic way more than any of their cars... guess i cant say all of japan the places that i stayed lol

except for supras the japanese luv their supras

but mostly the talk is around American and Euro cars
Old 07-07-2003, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Yea I only like the old school domestic cars, and euros <3. If they didnt cost so much id probably own one haha.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

a SBC is a wonderful thing with more parts for it than any import car out there and they are dirt cheap. I love it.

A LS1 LT1 and LS6 have so much toruqe that you can also skip gears ang get 21mpg city driving.

If you us ean LS block that all aluminum the wieght wont be that much more...

as for the kit will it work for the ls1 or ls6?

good job!
Old 07-08-2003, 09:05 PM

where can i find the differences between all of the chevy motors (LS-1 and ****) I dunno much about it but i think american engines r some of the best in the world and Japanese Cars are the best handeling in the world. Put the 2 together and u get one killer street machine. One guy by my house has a 72 vette with some chevy Big block with twin superchargers and he is puttiong out 850 horse and still gots good MPG That is what i want in my 240.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:26 PM

I like the idea, rather I love the idea. Look up and see what was written about imports and american cars. It is true. I want that combined! Plus think about this SR20 and KA-T guys, sorry leaving the RB guys out of this one , would you race a 240 that idled like an American muscle car?
Old 07-15-2003, 11:12 AM

Smile how did u do it?

Hi my name is James and I have a 1992 Nissan 240sx se fastback and was thinking about supercharging it and having a lot of other modifications done to it. The problem is that paxton makes a 4 cylider supercharger but not the whole kit. When I saw your post I was very interested about having a V-8 240sx. If u could please send me information about your kit it would be much appreciated.
My e-mail adress mongosejet@aol.com

Quick Reply: Chevy V8 powered 240sx