General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

S14 for sale......anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 05:04 PM

Question S14 for sale......anyone?

Hey I've only been here a few days, but I've browsed pretty much all the forums, and didn't see this anywhere, so my apologies if it's there and I missed

Does // Could anyone PLEASE provide me with a list of US dealers who sale actual Silvias? preferably some that also already have them here? Im looking for an S14

I've searched the internet, and only found a couple places, and they are all non-stock cars, so the prices are up there a little too high for me.

As for the reason I'm wanting a Silvia instead of a 240 isn't the RHD wow factor [stupid reason] , but rather I plan on an RB26 swap sometime in about a year, however I don't want to start out with the KA motor, but also don't wanna do 2 engine swaps.....hell I could buy an R32 for what that would cost me..lol

thanks a lot
Old 06-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

do you understand how much work is involved with the rb26 swap? why do you want that motor? whats wrong with the ka if its only gona be a year? if the prices are up a little to high for you then the motor swap is going to be as well..
Old 06-18-2006, 07:07 PM

well all the ones ive found are 20 K and up....so yea thats a little expensive, realistically how much would an RB26 swap cost me?

as for the price being too expensive, thats as of right now, bc i dont have a full time job, Im a senior is HS... however, in a year ill be working full time so yea..

and the motor preference? that would be because the potential of those engines is crazy, im looking to be running 500hp when all is said and done, Im planning on going to UTI's tuning school, followed by UTI paint and body school, (2 years each) at which point I want to open a shop, if all goes well.

could the SR20DET blacktop out of the S15 Silvias handle 500HP without putting a ton of stress on the engine? plus I dont really want to have to basically build an engine if thats the only way to get the power out of the SR's.

Last edited by NismoSX; 06-18-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

if u want a twin turbo rb26 wil cost $6k for engine $1-2k for mounts and $1k for rwd tranny and thats doing it you'r self a shop would charge you over $2k for labor alone not including tax its not cheap.

i wouldnt do it cause i like my s14 for handling an rb26 is heavy and would mess up weight distrabution but i guess its good for drag or normal driving.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:33 PM

Well, I want the best engine for 500HP , and I'm building pretty much a street legal racecar, Im going for grip, not slip. So, I guess the general question is, what motor would be best suited? Im going to drag it , but im looking for a track car - i wanna be able to make turns fast and stay on the road, and drift when i want... im pretty much gonna do a little of everything....drifting for fun tho[i dont want a pure drift setup]

would an RB25 be cheaper than the RB26?

how does an RB20 compare to the SR blacktop?

and this is kinda off topic, but has neone seen R34 headlight conversions on a 95-98 240? I thought it might be kinda sweet to do that instead of the silvia headlights..

Last edited by NismoSX; 06-18-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:37 PM

Ok I was reading over this and its getting way off-topic:
my question still stands:

Does//Can anyone PLEASE provide me with a list of US dealers whom sale Silvias? REAL Silvias?
Old 06-19-2006, 01:12 AM

Let me start off by saying that, if your looking into making a street legal racecar, then stop looking for a Silvia s14. A real Silvia is not street legal in the United States ANYWHERE! Even if you would import one, you can not drive it on public roads.

Now, if you bought a USDM s14, why would you have to do two engine swaps? Please do not say about truck motor this, blah blah blah. Yes the KA is slow, so is the stock SR that you "would" have to swap into the car first before you got the RB26. In actuality, the KA, SR, and the RB series motors can all handle the 500hp you say you are wanting to make, if the motors are built properly.

As for swapping in an s15 SR20...why? Out of the box it may have more power stock, but for the difference in price, you can have an s13 or an s14 SR putting out that extra bit of power. You said, you don't want to have to build an engine to get power out of it...well if that is your mentality, this project will probably be over your head. Every motor you have said about swapping in will take some building to make a decently reliable 500hp.

I am not saying this to discourage you in any way or verbally attack you, I am just trying to get you to open your eyes a little bit. You need to do some more research on this subject and then decide if you are able to take on something of this caliber. It will not be cheap, especially if going the RB route, bills will add up quick just to get the stock motor into the chasis.

So again, I say do some more research and see what you are going to be getting into. Either way, good luck with your project.

Oh, and R34 headlights on an s14 looks like crap lol. Theres a pic somewhere in the Favorite 240's thread.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:16 AM

thanks a lot, what I meant by basically building an engine was by having to completely disassemble it , and replacing every single moving part with an upgrade, will i need that much modification to the SR20? as for the S15 SR20, i was gonna go that route bc it has the 6 spd tranny, which if i got the S14 and then also got say, a Getrag 6spd tranny would it not cost me as much in the long run? as getting the S15 motor? thanks tho, you did cause me to think a little harder lol
Old 06-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

yea overall the rb26 is gonna be a good $10,000. The rb25 isnt near the hastle and will cost you about half as much (i personally believe is way better for the money). The s15 motor is cool n all but like said above you would make more power going with the s14 motor, which has vvt as well. The s15 tranny is pretty weak and would not be good for a drag setup.

The ka and sr can both see 500hp but it wouldnt be as easy as with the rb25. You wouldnt have to replace every part on the motor, but you would need to do the basic stuff ie. pistons, rods, springs, retainers ect....

The rb can be put to 500hp with a lot less work although no engine with that high of hp is going to be reliable without replacing atleast some internal work. Like s13 240 said, i think you just need to search and read your as off for a while. It seems that you are pretty new to these motors, not trying to be an ***, but itd be best to do your research and then i believe youll understand more what we are talking about/help yourself with a good decision.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:30 AM

Don't get the s15 because of the 6spd. The s15's 6spd isn't that great, not very strong at all and prone to breaking.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:06 PM

Thanks guys, yea im pretty new to them, I mean I've known about them for a long time, but just pretty much what engines have been run in what cars, and specs on them , dont really know much about pricing...
you guys couldnt point in the direction of a site or two where i can learn a lot more about all of this could you? Ive read wikipedias info [not much there] and a few other small artciles, but never found nething really going in depth, itd help if everytime you typed in skyline motor half your results werent pictures of sunsets........stupid yahoo..
Old 06-19-2006, 02:16 PM

Search around these forums and others, there is tons of info all over the place. Also talk to people online or wherever you can, I'm sure people will be more than willing to answer or try to answer whatever questions you have or give you info.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

an s15 sr is a very painstaking install. the 6spd may seem cool because it has an extra gear but it is not very durable. go ka-t get some osgiken tranny gears and call it a day
Old 06-19-2006, 02:52 PM

Hey I found a great site for newbies looking for some information to get them started on picking a motor to use for a swap:

http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=55363

ignore the message at the top, you should be able to just scroll down......
Old 06-19-2006, 03:17 PM

I'm gonna copy it to here since you have to register to view the page and some people will not want to. Here it is courtesy of Xracer from 240sxforums:

Intro------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, you just got your new (old really) Nissan 240sx. Coupe, hatch, zenki, or kouki, it doesnt matter; we all know you sure as hell didnt buy the car just to drive it. You want to go faster, you want to turn harder, you want to look better. We all do, thats why your here.
The "big thing" with 240's, the engine swaps. So there is nothing about the turning or the showing in here (well a little bit of handling). With some 5 common motors to choose from, the newcommers may not no where to start. Start here, but beware this is just to get you crawling, not walking. The world of swaps and motors is bigger than your brain so just chill and do your homework, this is only to inform you on the basics so you know now what to search for specifically.

The Purpose---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As stated above, we want to go faster. Just like any other car, the concept is simple, fast is fun. We all like fun. The reason for the swaps, is potential. The KA24 in stock form, lets face it, it's nothing special. They have been in your car for 1xx,xxx miles, and, well no motor lasts for ever. So what are your options. Well there are 3 thing you can do:
1) Slap an intake and some headers on her and drive her till she dies...borrrring
2) Rebuild and/or boost it. There are a fair amount of KA24DE turbo kits floating around and will surely shock your butt dyno. Without a rebuild, that 1xx,xxx miles is going to own you sooner or later, don't deny it. Rebuild it and you have yourself a beast but not everybody has that kind of money. This lead us to the main focus of this thread...
3) Swap it. An engine swap provides a great alternitave to beefing up the KA. The motors available give a great base platform to build your dream car out of. Solid, stout, and boost ready, what more could you want. So like most people on here, they choose the latter path. That choice in itself opens up a whole new world of many paths.

The Basics-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are 5 common engine swaps that are nested in the 240sx engine bay:
CA18DET
SR20DET
RB20DET
RB25DET
RB26DETT
KA24DE-T (not a swap but boost is boost)

Each of these motors is unique in their own way. All have great potential. But of couse, it call comes down to, whats right for you, what you want, and even though we all hate it, your wallet.

The Motors-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you want to know about each motor, well good because, well just read. So lets look at our situation again, we want a motor. Which one, well you sure as hell dont know because thats why your here. These motors are in order of displacement and price (with two exeptions). They also follow the same order as the engine list above.

CA18DET

Okay, here we have a 1.8L 173hp inline 4 cylinder turbo motor. The CA18 is the original motor of the S13 chassis in japan from '88-90. This thing is pretty stout for a little 1.8L. It's like the geek with glasses hiding a 3rd degree black belt. The internals are forged and good for well over 300hp before they need to be upgraded. It's a pretty rev happy motor and is great for a person with mild power goals and wants a good balance. Also, it is the cheapest of the available motors and just as easy, if not easier than the SR20 swap. For all you weight watchers like myslef, it is the lightest motor on the menu, even though it's an iron block. The engine sits pretty far back in the bay and places most of the weight behide the front axles; thats a good thing. From a handling point, it offers better weight distribution from the engine position than that of the RB motors, but were not here to talk about handling so moving on. The CA's arent very common mostly due to their age. They are oldest of the motors. When swapping its going to be in your best interest to check rod and main bearings and replace if nessesary. Pumps, belts, and some other accesories should also be checked and/or replaced. Another downside is the US aftermarket for the motor. Finding aftermarket parts isnt the easiest thing in the world but they are out there. Yet in the end it will still be the cheapest swap.

Good CA18 resource, dont be lazy, click on it: www.ca18det.org

SR20DET

If you haven't heard of this motor then, well you must have been knocked out for the past 10 or so years. SR's are by far the most common swap seen in any generation fo 240's. Why? lets take a look.There are three versions of this motor, well, technically four.

S13 Red Top SR20DET

The redtop is the most popular choice. Its the cheapest of the SR's, 203hp (dont give me crap about that because the 205 rating is in ps and not HP) with 7psi of boost comming from a T25 turbo. Basically, these suckers are nice. I personally have had a ride in a base swap and drivin one with about 250hp, they pull hard and are a blast. The best thing about this motor is the aftermarket. Because everybody has one, there are a zillion parts for them. The install is pretty basic, as it's just drop in and wire. But of course, with any swap you should know what you're doing. I am adding a little here about the tech part of the swap now that i have actaully done it. I helped my buddy with his redtop swap recently. We did it in his garage,a lack of decent tools, no power tools, limited space,lack of money, and time. If anybody who was thinking about this swap was worried about install, its really not that hard. Im 16 years old, the swap isn't hard, yes it takes time, but if you use that time to do things right the first time, your in good shape. The best part of swaping any motor yourself is you learn alot, thats what counts most.

Black Top SR20DET

The differnece between the red top and black top is minimal. There are some minor ECU changes, cooling fins on the head (eariler red tops did not have them) and thats basically it. They are a little more pricy because they are newer. This is also a common choice for the same reasons as the redtop. Good power, aftermarket etc. Ok enough with these, next.

S14 SR20DET

So here we have the mid version of the SR. Some of the obvious changes at a glance are the new intake manifold, rear slanted valve cover with a hump on the front. That hump houses a variable timing system not present on the S13 SR's. These are going to get you 220hp out of the box. Some of that power comes from a larger T28 turbo. Yea all this sounds find and dandy but you are going get a bigger hole in your pocket as the price of these is a fair chunk more than the S13 SR's.

S15 SR20DET

Good stuff. 250hp on tap. 6-speed tranny to make that 3500rpm @ 80mph go away. There are pretty minimal visible differences from the S14 SR. This one has another turbo imporvment. A T28 ball baring, feeding that 250hp. But like always, goodness comes at a price. That fancy 6-speed isn't as strong as the 5-speeds that came with the rest of the SR group. And big price in this case, be ready to bust out the needle and thread for this one, it will burn a hole in your pocket. The S15 SR is the least common because its the most expensive, and like the S14 SR its also harder to install than th S13 SR's, including a driveshaft, motor mounts, more extensive wiring, etc. Yes its awesome, no you cant afford one :smacked49 .

SR Wrap Up:

If you're the kind of lazy bumb with some cash and just want a motor, drop your car off at the local import tuning shop, tell them you want an SR and hand over a few grand. You will be good to go. If your looking for good power, good aftermarket, lots of potential, and just a great motor; the SR is for you. I think people are running somthing stupid like 400whp on the stock bottom end so power is plentyful. End of story, for the SR's anyways.

Opps, cant forget the link.(please, use it abuse it love it)
http://www.srswap.com/faq/index.asp
continued in next post

Last edited by Bryan; 06-19-2006 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: S14 for sale......anyone?