Accessories shutting off when car starts

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:51 PM

Hey guys i have an s14 sr20det in a 96 Nissan 240sx Se. I was recently tboned by a minivan which totaled my beloved 240. I bought another s14 with a blown s13 engine in it. I removed the s13 engine wiring etc and installed my s14 sr20 and wiring. Car is running pretty good, has a slightly rought idle.

My problem:
The Stereo, Cig lighter, windshield wipers, and a/f gauge all WORK perfectly when the car's Key is on the On position, but they all shut OFF once i move the key to the start position.

Im sorta confused as to why they would work and then not work. I have scavenged the forums and i have found several people who have these accessories hooked up so when they turn their headlights on, the accessories come on. I have tried every button and switch in the car, and nothing makes them come on while the car is running or the key in the on Position. Rest of electronics in the car work great.

This is my first swap and i have never heard of this problem before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have had great success with this forum in the past, Hopefully someone has had this problem or has seen it before.

It is so damn weird that they work,,,,,, and then they dont. Its not sparodic,

thanks for any help in advance, i hope this is an easy fix!!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:55 PM

I accidentally wrote at the end of the 3rd paragraph,,, "I have tried every button and switch in the car and nothing makes them come on while the car is running or the key in the on position",,,,,,, I meant KEY IN THE START POSITION... They work in the On Position
Old 10-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Contributing Member

do you have much experience with diagnosing wiring issues? Did you redo any wiring when you swapped everything over from the other wrecked car to this one? Check your harnesses that you swapped over from the other car. Maybe the wires are damaged and are causing a voltage drop somewhere. That would explain the rough idle and things not working inside the car.

What is your voltage at the battery with your car off, in the accessory position and running? Answer these few questions and maybe I can help you out a little further.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by 240smoke
do you have much experience with diagnosing wiring issues? Did you redo any wiring when you swapped everything over from the other wrecked car to this one? Check your harnesses that you swapped over from the other car. Maybe the wires are damaged and are causing a voltage drop somewhere. That would explain the rough idle and things not working inside the car.

What is your voltage at the battery with your car off, in the accessory position and running? Answer these few questions and maybe I can help you out a little further.
Hey I dont have too much wiring diagnostic experience. I didnt have to do too much wiring when i swapped the engines.

I removed his ecu/engine wiring harness/ lower engine wiring harness/ and the relays located next to the ecu. I then swapped in all my engine wiring/ecu/relays located by ecu/apexi afc neo and lower engine wiring harness and finally plugged the dash connector in by the ecu. I didnt have to cut or connect one wire when i swapped over. I did retape the harness after i had it out of my wrecked car and made sure no wiring was visible.

The only wiring i did was wiring my boost controller to his power and ground. I also wired in my stereo, but i've done stereo installs quite a few times.

Idle seems to be much nicer after i fixed a slight exhaust leak at the downpipe. One of the studs stripped pretty bad and i didn't even notice.

I dont have a volt meter but the neo says that i have 11.5 in start, and 13.5 running. The neo doesnt work in the on position,,,, So i will have to get a volt meter. Sounds like a solid investment. : )

Thanks for the input, And i will find out what volts i have in the on position tomorrow,,
Old 10-12-2010, 11:57 PM

I also forgot to mention that this s14 i swapped into used to be an automatic and was converted to manual when i bought it. Not sure if that makes any difference,, Given the previous owner would have tried to fix this before.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:10 AM
Contributing Member

you were not suppose to swap over any relays... im willing to bet one of your relays is grounding itself out.

also remove the Neo until you get other things working... you want to subtract any outside interferences when dealing with wiring issues.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

I was gonna say his relay probably either wasnt getting enough voltage or it was just shutting off. Check your accessory relay to see if its on while the car is running.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:33 AM

I swapped the relays and bracket by the ecu over because there were only two relays hooked up to the s13 wiring harness,, while my s14 wiring harness has 3 relays in the bracket. I was wondering what the difference was between the brown relays and the blue relays? Would the accessory relay be located by the ecu?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

no, it would be located by the fuse box.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

one of the two relays provides power to the Ignitor make sure that is still working.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:23 PM

Hey guys sorry i didnt have a chance to look at the relays today, but i do think the relay for the ignitor is working, the car starts and runs. I have some freetime tomorrow so i will have to take a look. Thanks guys
Old 10-14-2010, 02:13 AM
Contributing Member

awesome. just trace your wires in the bay.. make sure everything is hooked up and good to go in the engine bay fuse box as well.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:18 PM

Hey Guys, I traced all my grounds everywhere and couldnt find any that were loose or unhooked.

I completely spaced out that one of my connectors at the fuse box for the lower engine harness was different than the one in the car. The connector that i cut out of the car had one white/black big wire and one yellow/blue wire. The engine harness connector that i wired in was one white/black wire and TWO yellow/blues. I thought i read somehwere that this was for the reverse lights, as i traced it back to one of the small trans connectors. I didnt know what to do with the two yellow/blue wires since there was only one yellow/blue wire to connect to in the fuse box, so i left them unhooked and only wired the big white/black wire. I dont think this would have any effect on my accessories though. The rest of the fuse box looked good,

I can hear a relay clicking off when i move the key from on position to start position by the fuse box. I just barely toggled the key back and forth from on to start, the click does sync perfectly to when the lights go off on the accessories. I think i have found my problem! Im not really sure what to do with it though, and i still need to get a volt meter to check.

Wiring and electronics kinda scare me,,
Old 10-15-2010, 01:03 AM
Contributing Member

run power directly to it and see what happens.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:49 PM

Hey Dudes,
Took a look at the relay and check its volts and it seemed to be working properly. So i decided to swap the ignition relays, since i had an extra one. Well it worked! Everything is now functioning properly

Thanks for all the help guys. Back to boostin!

Quick Reply: Accessories shutting off when car starts