Help...Ignition Problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 04:44 PM

Help...Ignition Problem!!

I have a 95 240sx with a S13 Blacktop. I went to start it yesterday and it blew the 30A ignition fuse link under the hood. It's been starting fine with no problems up until now. I looked to see if there were any exposed wire in the fuse box, etc. and couldn't find any.

I noticed that there was what appears to be a ground wire attached to the back of the head, that has a harness connector on it, that's just hanging there. I doubt it has anything to do with it, just thought I'd let you guys know anyway. I have no clue what's causing it!

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance...
Old 04-04-2010, 03:00 PM

If the starter is bad, would it cause the ignition fuselink to blow?
Old 04-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

check your wiring.. something somewhere is touching and it should not be..

the starter has nothing to do with a fuse blowing.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 PM

I know that my S13 was doing that because my harness got up against a sharp edge on the block and it cut into the insulation and was shorting it out. Check over your harness meticulously. I went through about three fuses before i ever found it because it was on the back side of the motor.

Mine never did it when I was starting it tho, it'd always cut off at the worst time, like sitting at a red light or stop sign lol.

Best of luck to ya bro!

Also, I just noticed you're from Augusta. I live in Byron, just south of Macon. You're the first person I've seen so far on here from GA lol.
You going to Import Alliance or South East Drift this weekend?

Last edited by jdmkodes!; 04-06-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:51 AM

I found the problem, it was 1 of 2 things, or even both I'm not sure. One was a short in the harness for the ignition coils, right where the harness travels off the back of the valve cover. Evidently the nut behind cylinder 4 on the valve cover was the culprit. Second, the signal wire and 12v supply line for the starter where literally kissing either. So I made the adjustment there also, and that took care of the problem. Now she starts like a champ again
Old 04-07-2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by jdmkodes!
I know that my S13 was doing that because my harness got up against a sharp edge on the block and it cut into the insulation and was shorting it out. Check over your harness meticulously. I went through about three fuses before i ever found it because it was on the back side of the motor.

Mine never did it when I was starting it tho, it'd always cut off at the worst time, like sitting at a red light or stop sign lol.

Best of luck to ya bro!

Also, I just noticed you're from Augusta. I live in Byron, just south of Macon. You're the first person I've seen so far on here from GA lol.
You going to Import Alliance or South East Drift this weekend?

As much as I'd like to, it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it. Unfortunately I need to replace my turbo, so I'm in the very very slow 'saving-up-enough-money-to-get-the-turbo-I-really-want' phase.

Hopefully I'll be ready for the thing HIN and Nopi are having at the Atlanta Motor Speedway toward the end of July.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by got_psi?
As much as I'd like to, it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it. Unfortunately I need to replace my turbo, so I'm in the very very slow 'saving-up-enough-money-to-get-the-turbo-I-really-want' phase.

Hopefully I'll be ready for the thing HIN and Nopi are having at the Atlanta Motor Speedway toward the end of July.
i feel ya on that bro lol. i just got mine back on the road a couple weeks ago after bein down for about a month. Are you on importatlanta or 240atlanta?

you need to roll out with us to Import Alliance this summer bro! the more the merrier lol
Old 04-23-2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by jdmkodes!
i feel ya on that bro lol. i just got mine back on the road a couple weeks ago after bein down for about a month. Are you on importatlanta or 240atlanta?

you need to roll out with us to Import Alliance this summer bro! the more the merrier lol
Yeah I'm on Importatlanta, but not 240atlanta....yet that is. But if I can make it I will, trust me. Just keep me informed of the dates and stuff, I'd love to get out there if I can.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:29 PM

Awesome bro. will do man!