Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Sound through speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:35 PM

Question Sound through speakers

Aite, so every time I turn on my speakers a loud pitch comes on along with my music and the pitch seems to raise with my speed like its hooked to my fan belt or something. Wtf is going on? Can anyone figure this out, or have any possible explanations???
Old 10-19-2009, 10:19 PM

some kind of short or something. go ahead call me an ******* if Im wrong but my friend nick had a noise that randomly came out of his sub, it was a short somewhere.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:17 PM

if your audio is aftermarket (deck, amp, & subs) your audio setup is grounded somewhere it shouldnt be that is somehow connected to a drivetrain component. tear into ur car & find out what hackery the previous owner did when he installed your sound system. im just guessing, my 3000gt had similar problems due to a rigged audio install
Old 10-19-2009, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by carps13guy
if your audio is aftermarket (deck, amp, & subs) your audio setup is grounded somewhere it shouldnt be that is somehow connected to a drivetrain component. tear into ur car & find out what hackery the previous owner did when he installed your sound system. im just guessing, my 3000gt had similar problems due to a rigged audio install
x33
Old 10-20-2009, 12:52 AM
Contributing Member

yeaup....
Old 10-20-2009, 06:41 AM

Aite, Ill see what I find. The sound is coming outta one of my speakers, everything's aftermarket. Thx doods!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Its MOST likely a ground issue. If you can't find the faulty ground, you can purchase ground noise eliminators from most car audio stores or online. These may not completely eliminate the sound, but they should greatly decrease it. I've had 17 years experience with car audio, so I do know a thing or two...and by no means am I saying I know everything!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:01 PM

^ no one knows everything. except those crotchety old men on zilvia that think they do lol! OP, just make sure that your grounds are to the chassis only, & if you have subs, make sure that your ground spot isnt somehow connected to the differential & you'll b golden.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

other than what's been said, you should also make sure that audio cables are not running along side your power wire. it's remote, but the problem could also be caused by not having resister type plugs. i'm not even sure if they are still made but that's another possibility.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:51 PM

^Ah yes, that's one thing I completely forgot about. Run your RCAs and Power wires separately. Most of the time its a ground problem.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, it's called a ground loop. It's caused by having different ground voltages...somewhere you have a bad ground and not all compoments are receiving a perfect ground, the noise caused by that loops back through the system and ends up out through the speakers. Check all the grounds with a voltmeter... .1 or less volt on all is the max acceptable voltage for any ground.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:24 PM

My stereo was acting weird too. it randomly shut off and on, esp when cd player was going, I pulled it out, looked at all the connections put it back in. Then It didn't work at all. then the lights on ac/heat would radomly turn off, then one day the vent selector quit working along with the ac/ and recirculate button. so.....I did what any self respecting s13 owner would do, I ride with without anything working. lol fuccckkk it. because if i fix that. then something else will just break on that piece of ****. I would burn it to the ground if gas didn't cost so much.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cr8zyDrifter
My stereo was acting weird too. it randomly shut off and on, esp when cd player was going, I pulled it out, looked at all the connections put it back in. Then It didn't work at all. then the lights on ac/heat would radomly turn off, then one day the vent selector quit working along with the ac/ and recirculate button. so.....I did what any self respecting s13 owner would do, I ride with without anything working. lol fuccckkk it. because if i fix that. then something else will just break on that piece of ****. I would burn it to the ground if gas didn't cost so much.
Or you could just pull them out and check the wires for shorts/exposed wiring. Check your connections. Check your fuses. Ensure your grounds are good as well.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

How did you wire it? Use the adapter or cut and splice? And either way...did you solder and heat shrink/tape or butt connect, or just twist together lol
Old 11-02-2009, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Preston
How did you wire it? Use the adapter or cut and splice? And either way...did you solder and heat shrink/tape or butt connect, or just twist together lol
I didn't do any of it, my buddy did. He solders everything and puts heat shrink tape on it. He didn't pull all my original wiring out tho, he just connected with some of the old wires. I haven't got a chance to look at everything yet cause its been raining here like everyday. Its finally starting to get nice tho.