Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Running power in dash for electronics

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:06 PM

Running power in dash for electronics

I'm about to install my EDFC and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for power. Right now I have a AEM UEGO power by my stereo power and I want to give that dedicated power too, as well as power for an in dash monitor for when I put a PC in the trunk. I'm sure they'll be other gadgetry too when I go SR or KA-T.
The EDFC requires both constant and ignition power. I'm going to just run a power wire from the battery into the cabin for that (with fuse of course!)
I am not sure what the best thing to do for ignition power is. Take it from the ignition wiring under the steering wheel? Anyone who has put in a bunch of electronics into there ride have any tips or suggestions?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

i don't have ac or heating so i just used the power for the climate control and blower motor when needed.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah a good idea would be to take it from the ignition...that's one of the best spots. If not, you can always get 12 volt behind your radio, or somewhere else that provides it. Just make sure it isn't to a switch that can turn on/off.

Ignition harness is the way to go, though.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Initial Daniel
Yeah a good idea would be to take it from the ignition...that's one of the best spots. If not, you can always get 12 volt behind your radio, or somewhere else that provides it. Just make sure it isn't to a switch that can turn on/off.

Ignition harness is the way to go, though.
Cool. I'm running power straight for my battery for constant power but I also no a power line that's only on with the ignition. So I'll just grab it from under the steering wheel I guess.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

You can get both constant +12 and switched acc from under the steering column. You can check to see what colors they are, then meter the wires to be certain. It'd be a little cleaner that way too than running a wire from the battery through the firewall, then to your device. Thats just my opinion though.

Let us know how it turns out and if you need any more help. :]
Old 10-01-2007, 03:20 PM

I've tapped into those wires before when wiring up my pager alarm. I was just worried about running 3-4 things off that wiring and figured a dedicated circuit would be better. I'm gonna do that, wire up my edfc and relocate my battery to the trunk when I feel like going on a little wiring binge.