Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

s14 bypass amplifier instructions w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 12:40 PM

s14 bypass amplifier instructions w/ pics

Okay so i first saw this and rememberd flashbacks from my first encounter with a built in audio amplifier... the dreaded 1992 bmw 325i ><.
it had a built in amplifier with a 3 way speaker system up front and 2 way in the rear... each speaker had its own wires and NONE were colored or right next to eachother. needless to say that was a true pain.
however, this time i bypassed the amplifier i took notes and pictures.
so i figure i outta organize this info into a cheat sheet for fellow s14 owners.

okay the stock system is something like 8w x 4 clarion everything.
it truly sucks. especially when your speakahs look liek this >>>
Name:  IMG_5574.jpg
Views: 3493
Size:  30.3 KB

ANYWAYS haha
ill be getting new speakers soon :screwy:

anyways
check to make sure that your chassis audio harness uses the same color code system as mine.

IF your wires are the same as my wires you should have a pair of:
pink, blue
tan, black
lime green, purple
pink, blue

if it doesnt then the way to figure out what speakers are what is to consult your aftermarket stereo instalation guide. simply find out what color the right front speaker is... follow the wire to the chassis's harness and then write that color down for the positive or negative terminal. this is how i did it as you can see in this picture

Name:  IMG_5565.jpg
Views: 3682
Size:  41.4 KB

Onto the next part

once you know what wires are what... go to your trunk and unplug / unscrew your stock amplifiers. unplug them and then lay them somewhere... prefferably in a trash can.

notably something nissan did well when they produced these cars is they paired a set of two nearly identical stereo amplifiers togather to make a 4 channel sound system. which means one does the front speakers the other amp does the rear speakers. MY car was arranged so that you couldnt plug the wrong wire into the wrong amp. so what happened with my car *im asuiming all are the same* is that the larger plug powers the front speakers and the smaller plug powers the rear speakers!! important!

another thing nissan and clarion did correct is they placed the INPUTS *from the head unit* on the RIGHT side of the plug if you are looking at the plug so where you can see the fastening clip.
picture here:
this is with all 4 of the input wires clipped

Name:  IMG_5566.jpg
Views: 3528
Size:  29.4 KB

if you will notice there are 6 other wires on each harness.
the blue stripedy wire along with the other **smaller gauge** thinner wire are not needed because the thinner wire is the remote power wire, the blue stripedy wire is the 12 volt wire... here is my proof

Name:  IMG_5575.jpg
Views: 3513
Size:  40.0 KB

i would recomend you cut these wires off of the white plug and place them aside so you dont confuse them. but they are not needed... however they can come in handy if you need a remote wire... *remmeber that if you want subs* you already have a remote wire going form the headunit to the trunk*

anyway. after you cut those wires and put them aside the next thing you need to do is take the color codes i have on this picture here:
and the picture after it is an example of the wires and what they looked like for all you visual learners like myself

Name:  IMG_5570.jpg
Views: 3401
Size:  35.9 KB

and just match the wires up
REMEMBER!!!!
ONLY CONNECT WIRES TOGATHER IF THEY ARE ON THE SAME PLUG... as the smaller plug is associated with rear speakers and the larger plug is associated with the front speakers. if you complete this and cant pull the two plugs apart... check your connections...
yes there are two solid blue's and two solid pinks... but one corrosponds to the drivers front and the other corrosponds to the passangers rear.. you'll have some funkeh music if you wire it up wrong...
here are some pictures of after my bypass

REAR SPEAKER WIRE PICS
Name:  IMG_5603.jpg
Views: 3485
Size:  32.2 KB
Name:  IMG_5604.jpg
Views: 3490
Size:  33.3 KB

FRONT SPEAKER WIRE PICS
Name:  IMG_5605.jpg
Views: 4346
Size:  47.0 KB

make sure yall put some electrical tape on the wires so you dont mess something up like... your audio

feedback on writeup appreciated
its my first one...
Old 03-21-2008, 06:43 PM

hey, i need to do this bypass with my 240sx, but all the pics are gone, anyone have the pics? or can you tell me what wires go where? or perhaps any new post on how to bypass the stock amps?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:32 PM

Why would you go through this trouble instead of using an aftermarket harness adapter?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by SHIFT__Nismo
Why would you go through this trouble instead of using an aftermarket harness adapter?
well, if you would read. you would see i did use an aftermarket harness adapter.. good job m8

its bypassing amplifiers. not installing a stereo.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SHIFT__Nismo
That, and if your amp decides to crap out on you, you're still getting audio feeding through it, so you'll have to bypass it anyway. You'll get better sound if you're going to upgrade your entire system anyway. Your best bet is to bypass that amp.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:14 PM

Anyone have a photo of this amp? Where does it sit? I have an LE, and didn't locate it, maybe the previous owner removed it already?

I installed a new HU and speakers already. Weird that I didn't run into it. heh
Old 06-04-2008, 01:19 PM

its under your rear deck lid.
s14

if its not there you dont have one.

inbetween and underneath your rear speakers.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:48 PM

Thanks for your help, yeah, I guess I didn't/don't have one. It's funny, cuz I have/had the "6" speaker system. The counted Tweeters as part of the package.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, some of them will have 6 speakers and not have an amp. It's weird.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:31 PM

could those amps possibly be a reason that the ELECTRON BATT fuse would keep blowing?

regardless sweet info im definently gonna do this
Old 09-03-2008, 09:08 PM

lol, i did this by accident
The guys who i bought my car from were idiots and tore it out >:[ so i really didnt know there was an amp till a guy from a shop decided to look at it and was like what the hell did you do?
so i guess this is good? i dont really know.

Originally Posted by Initial Daniel
Yeah, some of them will have 6 speakers and not have an amp. It's weird.
I've got 5 speakers and no amp...
Old 04-19-2009, 05:22 PM

for anyone who did this, after wiring the wires to each other, did your cd deck work properly
Old 04-20-2009, 04:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rockaa91
for anyone who did this, after wiring the wires to each other, did your cd deck work properly
Well, yes your CD player should work properly after doing this -- all it's doing is wiring the unit past the amplifier, so you will no longer have an amplified unit.

The reason most people do this is because an aftermarket radio will not work with the factory amp connected.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:28 AM

i know this, but the one i got for bypassing this said that there were 4 wires left over, and no combination of them would get his cd player to work, so thats why im asking, i have the stock cd player and one of my amps is dead, so im going to upgrade and get rid of the bad amp, possibly both of them.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:06 PM

another question, i did the bypass and i can barely hear my front speakers after it
anyone know why ?

Quick Reply: s14 bypass amplifier instructions w/ pics