S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video and Security (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/audio-video-security-5/)
-   -   hooking up a system.. (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/audio-video-security-5/hooking-up-system-45427/)

Nickmerrone 02-20-2009 07:52 PM

hooking up a system..

got a crappy headunit/decent amp/great sub...

500 watt jensen amp
dual crappy headunit
JL sub..

ran all the wires..plugged it in, and didn't work...

the amp power isn't turning on..I used an existing 12 volt(remote one from head unit), that stopped at the seats and just added more wire to it...wonder if its dicked some where? or would it still power up with the battery?

also i just drilled a new hole for my ground, is that alright? do i have to sand around it?

what could be my problem, and is there a stock amp too?

Biggamehit 02-20-2009 08:38 PM

omg audio also.... stop it nick

jk

im not a audio guy.. may wanna go to 12volt.com

Nickmerrone 02-20-2009 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit (Post 381209)
omg audio also.... stop it nick

jk

im not a audio guy.. may wanna go to 12volt.com

hahahaahahaha. that made me like pee my self.

but yeah i have LOTS OF PROBLEMS alright. haha.

give me credit for only being 15!

jramosthe1st! 02-20-2009 09:25 PM

dual is better than people think, jensen however is garbage. the remote wire is not intended to supply 12v to power anything. you need to get a direct connection from the battery for the amp then connect the remote b+ to the head unit.

Nickmerrone 02-20-2009 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st! (Post 381212)
dual is better than people think, jensen however is garbage. the remote wire is not intended to supply 12v to power anything. you need to get a direct connection from the battery for the amp then connect the remote b+ to the head unit.

I have EVERYTHING Ran..

jramosthe1st! 02-20-2009 09:59 PM

it's not rocket science so if it's not working there are only two possibilities. you messed up or the equipment it fried, it's really that simple.

Nickmerrone 02-20-2009 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st! (Post 381214)
it's not rocket science so if it's not working there are only two possibilities. you messed up or the equipment it fried, it's really that simple.

ight i think the amps blown, cause dude i bought it from was PRETTYYY shady.

jramosthe1st! 02-20-2009 10:26 PM

it's probably for the best because jensen really is garbage. there are plenty of good amps available from crutchfield.com. although generally speaking expect to pay $1 and change per watt on these amps. i've installed stereo systems within all price ranges on personal vehicles and on those of friends. so believe me when i say that the most important components are the head unit and wires.

then depending on how low and the intensity you want from the bass you can decide if you want to spend more money on a good amp. the speakers are really the last thing you should take into consideration. if your head unit sucks the amp will only amplify a weak signal which will sound like crap regardless of the speakers.

Nickmerrone 02-21-2009 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st! (Post 381216)
it's probably for the best because jensen really is garbage. there are plenty of good amps available from crutchfield.com. although generally speaking expect to pay $1 and change per watt on these amps. i've installed stereo systems within all price ranges on personal vehicles and on those of friends. so believe me when i say that the most important components are the head unit and wires.

then depending on how low and the intensity you want from the bass you can decide if you want to spend more money on a good amp. the speakers are really the last thing you should take into consideration. if your head unit sucks the amp will only amplify a weak signal which will sound like crap regardless of the speakers.

Alright so my next purchase audio wise, is this head unit... cause its basic, and has mp3 alllll i neeeeed!

haha.

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=7732

now to find an amp..

shaban 02-21-2009 10:14 AM

should just get a head unit with an AUX plug and plug an ipod to it.
but jensen and dual both suck.

jramosthe1st! 02-21-2009 10:32 AM

some dual units do suck. the ones sold at walmart are not the same ones sold at bestbuy.

Nickmerrone 02-21-2009 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by shaban (Post 381252)
should just get a head unit with an AUX plug and plug an ipod to it.
but jensen and dual both suck.

thats what the one im getting has, thats all i need and ill be happy

JapanS15 04-26-2009 04:08 PM

You're on the right track as far as troubleshooting is concerned. Here's the list of posiblities I can think of. If you have a multi-meter or a test light, check for power and ground at both battery and accessory ends of the wires. Check the ohms on the ground. Closer to zero ohms the better! Check your fuses on the amp and the car radio fuse. If everything is wired correctly and gain is turned up on the amp and still doesn't produce sound....Your amp is toast.

RECAP
1 - bad ground
2 - open (broken or not connected) wire(s)
3 - blown fuse(s)
4 - blown amp

shaban 04-26-2009 06:31 PM

Thanks for the input, a little late though

JapanS15 04-26-2009 07:10 PM

Yeah, I realized that after I hit reply. Oh well, hopefully someone else will search this thread in the future if they need the info.