S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video and Security (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/audio-video-security-5/)
-   -   Need Some Info on Security Systems (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/audio-video-security-5/need-some-info-security-systems-16137/)

LaDyInRed 09-27-2004 08:34 PM

Need Some Info on Security Systems

Hi,

I've been looking for a good car alarm but don't know much about them.. How does a security system work if I don't have power door locks? Will I need to have them installed? For the systems that come with remote start, will that work on a manual transmission? I've tried looking on the manufacturer's sites (clifford and viper) but they don't seem to answer my questions..

So any info would help!

THANKS!

Waynehead05 09-27-2004 09:57 PM

remote start on a manny is illegal in the states as far as I know but who will know about it?

You don't have to have power door locks. you could just skip that section of the install.

Amolao 09-29-2004 12:43 PM

http://www.the12volt.com/index.asp

FYI

If like to have keyless entry them solenoids will have to be installed with your alarm....the best alarms...???

Clifford....expensive but nothing but the best,Baby!!

RealDS13 09-30-2004 10:11 AM

will its possible to install power door lock, you need something called a "ACTUATOR" i got mine off a speaker shop and they work preety well. (I dunno if i spelled that right whatever) M-e ways ways for the power door locks yea the word for today is Actuator:) Hope all goes well:)

Dante

LaDyInRed 10-01-2004 09:15 PM

Thanks, well, i'm trying to decide whether or not I really want power door locks.. it depends on how much more extra it's gonna cost to have those installed.. as for the alarm system, what I want to get is the clifford matrix RSX 2.5-- I really like that 2-way paging system, and this one doesn't have remote start. Anyone know any places I could find a good deal on this system for? tried eBay but no luck!

Waynehead05 10-01-2004 10:50 PM

http://search.ebay.com/clifford-RSX_...QsosortorderZ1

LaDyInRed 10-01-2004 11:16 PM

Thanks.. but i'm looking for the matrix RSX 2.5 cuz that one doesn't have the remote start (i don't need it since it won't work for a manual).. however, i guess if those are good prices I could get it and just skip the install of the remote start?? will that work out?

Thanks

STEARNZY 10-22-2004 03:50 PM

The door locks sould not cost more than 75 per door there pretty easy to do, as for the clifford there good but there not the true clifford ther just a DEI product its the same as any viper or avital some even say avital on them if you take off a sticker. theres not doubt that there good but there are illigal to install into a standard vehicle. I have sold compustar and they work very well and they have an awsome 2 way system and can do standards.

l2aine 10-23-2004 10:31 AM

remote start is an optional feature, not an integrated part of the security system, so it's like "window rolldown" feature - you can skip it if you choose not to have it. And IMO I wouldn't bust a remote start on a manual transmission - it's too risky, the things that can happen if you try to start the car and it was accidentally left in gear.

STEARNZY is right about the Clifford thing - from what I understand, there's the real Cliffords, then there's the relabeled versions Clifford bought from other manufacturers, so that Clifford could expand their product line or something.

STEARNZY 10-25-2004 01:20 AM

no clifford was bought by DEI and DEI just uses the clifford name
the starters on standards isnt dangerous as long as there installed properly they should have a resevation mode which makes you get out of the car while its still running then when you shut the door the car will turn off that way when the car starts its not in gear and the ebrake is on iv installed many and there great

Waynehead05 10-25-2004 01:46 PM

Originally posted by LaDyInRed
Thanks.. but i'm looking for the matrix RSX 2.5 cuz that one doesn't have the remote start (i don't need it since it won't work for a manual).. however, i guess if those are good prices I could get it and just skip the install of the remote start?? will that work out?

Thanks

remote start does work on a manny and you can bypass the clutch. search on the bypassing of the clutch... it takes less than 3 minutes if you know where to look around the firewall.

this way you could have remote start on a manny.

l2aine 10-25-2004 04:09 PM

Originally posted by Waynehead05
remote start does work on a manny and you can bypass the clutch. search on the bypassing of the clutch... it takes less than 3 minutes if you know where to look around the firewall.

this way you could have remote start on a manny.

there's a little pinswitch way up under the dash with the clutch pedal assembly, that pinswitch is responsible for not letting you crank the motor over unless you've got the clutch fully depressed, as the safety feature to keep from starting the car in gear. You're probably going to have to use a test light or a multimeter on the wires leading to this switch to figure out what type of voltage (positive or negative) you'd need to have your alarm send to it to bypass it.

LaDyInRed 10-26-2004 08:01 AM

Originally posted by STEARNZY
theres not doubt that there good but there are illigal to install into a standard vehicle.
Why would they be illegal?

Anyway, thanks for all the info guys.. :thumb: As for the remote start, I still think I'll pass on it just because I don't wanna deal with all the hassle of getting it done.. BTW, what would be your take on those clifford systems being sold on eBay? I know that they're B-Stock (refurbished) but would you guys trust their quality?

l2aine 10-26-2004 08:55 AM

Originally posted by LaDyInRed
Why would they be illegal?

Anyway, thanks for all the info guys.. :thumb: As for the remote start, I still think I'll pass on it just because I don't wanna deal with all the hassle of getting it done.. BTW, what would be your take on those clifford systems being sold on eBay? I know that they're B-Stock (refurbished) but would you guys trust their quality?

Lady, they're illegal because of the danger of having the car start while in gear. Say you parked at a shopping center, someone's standing in front of your car, you remote start it, but it's in gear, so the car lurches forward... you get the picture.

It's a safety issue, much like how technically it's illegal to mount a video monitor that is in the drivers view, which can operate while the car is moving. Usually video monitors have to be tied into the E-brake to ensure that the driver is using the monitor only while the car is parked... but if you think about it, what about those factory navigation systems they mount in dash?

IMO when you go refurbished, it's hit or miss. Some units only needed a new case, other might have had some weird problems in the circuitry. If you're buying something to protect your $XXXX.XX car (with that sweet paint job, might I add) might as well at least invest in a new unit :thumb:

LaDyInRed 10-26-2004 09:49 AM

Gotcha:thumb: I love ya Raine, you're great! LOL