Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Sound System Inquiry.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by JessicaS14
Exactly how long have you been running your system like that? I'm not trying to sound rude, but I have knowledgeable source to all of this stuff. My fiance had a 500 RMS on a stock battery and it really messed a lot of things up way back in the day. I'm not saying anything WILL in fact happen, but if you don't take the proper precautions, you're setting yourself up for a real mess.
Four months playing everyday...Still planning on buying a battery just needed other more important things...like tires
Old 01-18-2006, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by Fast1One
just needed other more important things...like tires

why need tires bare is fun cause all u do is slide even when normally accelerating new tires is a waste of money i say! spend it on an abundance of used tires its more fun that way this way its more like "kinder surprise" you never know what your going to get

hahaha tires are good in all fact im just being a &*#%()@. saftey first i learned the hard way when crashing my 240 2 weeks after i got it. every1 has a stupid phase of showing off when not supposed to.

sorry went off my own topic. Back to the Cap talk.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:35 AM
Contributing Member

I don't believe in caps but if your gonna use them then the general rule of thumb is 5 farads per 1000watts.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:11 PM

ive been running my system for over 6 months no cap. technically it should be running around 800 rms. no dimming lights or anything. good ol' yellow top.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by g3bio
why need tires bare is fun cause all u do is slide even when normally accelerating new tires is a waste of money i say! spend it on an abundance of used tires its more fun that way this way its more like "kinder surprise" you never know what your going to get

hahaha tires are good in all fact im just being a &*#%()@. saftey first i learned the hard way when crashing my 240 2 weeks after i got it. every1 has a stupid phase of showing off when not supposed to.

sorry went off my own topic. Back to the Cap talk.
OKEEYYY....look at my current car lol...its not exactly the funnest car to drive like lets say an s chassis lol...anyways the Proxxes 4s grip like crazy anyway [/off topic]

Good ol yellow top thats right Mika
Old 01-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by smokie700
I don't believe in caps but if your gonna use them then the general rule of thumb is 5 farads per 1000watts.
Smokie, as i quote from southpark, "...are you high, or just incredibly stupid?"
I have never heard anyone say 5 farads to 1000w of power. Ive always been told, at least by those who actually OWN and INSTALL stereos (not ppl who jsut speculate) professionally tall me 1 farad per 1000w. sorry dor bein a dick, but powercaps above 2 farads can get expensive quick....

As for setup advice. I'd say, for an amp, you cant go wrong with an old school Alpine MRV-1507... Puts out 900w rms at 12v... now alpine's amps have always been known to be terribly underrated, so you may be looking at 1000w rms. They are also fan cooled and in 2 years it has never once shut off on me... i have blown a couple 70 amp fuses coming off my battery cuz i had it wayyy to loud before though lol. Pick one up off of eBay for less than 300 bux like I did and you cnat go wrong. As far as powercaps.... Im not big on powercaps for everyday systems, but if you have voltage drops or what not, they may be of some use, provided your alternator and grounds and such are up to snuff. When i had my setup in my old Legend, i didnt think too much of "the big three" or upgrading my alt or batt or even adding a powercap. BUT, 2 years later, my battery dies if i dont drive it for 2 days, i toasted an alternator, and have damaged my new alternator to the point where the lights faintly get dimmer and brighter even when the amp and most other accessories ar OFF... think about that for a minute... You can pay now or pay later, but if you wanna play big ya gotta pay big

Oh yeah, and rockford's amps suck hard... since they started mass producing amps they suck.. their old school stuff is the shiznitty though.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:11 AM

alpine's it is and always will be, i will make the investment after i get my rims cause my stocks are pretty nasty from 15 to 17. anyway.... i have another question for those of you who have an answer. i dont want to open another thread cause this is linked to this.

Problem:

my lights seem dim on the left side of my car compared to my right side, is this a problem with the battery, alternator or grounds or all three anyone with answers will rock my world forever. thanks ladies and gents.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

sounds like some freaky problem ive never ehard of... maybe the lights on that side suck?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:56 AM

not exactly the kind of answer i was looking for but i mean maybe i will make another full thread incase people dont read this.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

It's really funny how fast misinformation spreads, especially across the internet.

Looking at this ENTIRE thread, there were maybe 2 or 3 posts that stated nothing but the truth, while the rest was just hear-say and rehashed garbage. Do us all a favor; if you don't know what the hell you're talking about, or are not entirely sure, PLEASE don't try state your "knowledge" or lack thereof.

Ignorance broods ignorance.

To the original poster:

First, you want a system, correct? I know it's easy to go on a forum and ask what people think--but if you don't know where to start, how do you sort the garbage from the REAL stuff? You can start by doing research, and reading other forums. Check www.the12volt.com, it's a pretty big community for installers and such, you can DEFINITELY find good advice there.

Secondly, NO ONE else can tell you what sounds good, or what to get that will suit your needs. Money is ALWAYS going to be an issue, so for someone who has twelve 15 inch subs and has 15 amps for each one has a TOTALLY different need than you do, and will have to spend their money accordingly.

You said you wanted Type-R's and an amp that will support it. In all honesty, you don't want those Subs running at full ALL THE TIME, because that will shorten it's life span DRASTICALLY. They are capable of handling 1300 watts each, but shouldn't be pushed to that limit consistantly. People will state their opinions about Alpine, and praise it to no end, but they are FAR from the best. Audiobahn amps are very good, Kicker makes REALLY good amps and subs as well.

I can state my opinons, but you REALLY don't need that. You need an opinion of your own, because in the end it is YOUR CAR, YOUR system, and if you're happy with it, thats all that matters. It really just depends on your budget and technical aspects of an amp. Make a list of several amps that you are considering and research.

Check out reviews on them--don't just take someones opinion on a message board because on the internet, everyone is a doctor, lawyer, automechanic, professional driver, electrician, etc.

Good luck with everything.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:13 PM

thanks man i know i was just getting people's personal opinions from their past experiences etc. thanks.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

well im my past experiences, kicker subs are garbage. and so are audiobahn's flame series subs... Audioahn makes a pretty solid amp, but theyre pricey. if youre looking for a lil extra bump for a low price, bazooka is the way to go though. ive never had experience with kicker amps, so im not going to say theyre crap or not, cuz that may not be true. I only state opinions about stuff ive had at LEAST a lil experience with. Now alpine ive had experience with for a few years now and the only thing i can complain about is the price. Their coax speakers are phenominal, but when it comes to components, yeah theyre nice and all, but id go with infinity kappa's or those polk/momo components. I think eclipse, kenwood, and alpine make some of the best head units around in my experience.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Alpine is very good but not the best...there are brands you may not even have heard of or considered that will blow Alpine out of the water, some for the same price. Resonant engineering? SoundSplinter? Elemental designs? Have you heard Arc's line of Flatline subs? Ever considered Eclipse TI's? Brahamns? The ONLY reason I got the kicker was because of the price lol...

Ive had a good experience with my kicker sub, but its by far not even close to the best. It just gets the job done, which is hit hard...however when i play rock its just not fast enough...

Audiobahn has never been "good"...some of their high end amps are nice but other than that your paying for half-way decent products...Kicker amps are nice but like Alpine some of their older products like the ZR series amps are much better and severely underrated...Arc=Nice nuff said...

As far as components...Rainbow and Focal....Elemental Designs also makes some decent components, CDT, or even custom...but on a budget i would say Infiniti or MB quart...

Theres more of my 2 cents...my suggestion: Read the car audio forums like Initial D suggested...

Last edited by Fast1One; 01-24-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:01 PM

my buddy has a bazooka in his 89 toyota celica with a 12 inch infinity it pounds for a low price of 540 CDN after tax's pretty cheap for setting off a few car alarms when it was only on low. i may go this route i want some kick not needing car show material here fella's but i may change my mind, my g/f doesn't want me 2 have 2 12's if i do i may get in trouble but i may be able to convince her "otherwise" hahaha
Old 01-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Lol yeah... women have all the power... strange isnt it?

Anyway, fast1one, Ive heard and even looked into a lot of the brands you listed... such as resonant engineering (RE), Brahm.'s, eclipse, sound splinter, and if youre looking for a lot of bang for a few bucks (not cheap by a long shot) soundstreams are reaaal nice... but most of those brands are the higher end show quality spl type subs that your average everyday joe cant buy even in his dreams. What i talk about is things that every day ppl can get... besides, its obvious that this guy doesnt have a lot of experience in the field, so you dont want to bombard him with names he never heard before... hell i didnt know about ANY of those until i started living on http://www.caraudio.com/vb/ ... that place has more info than you can ever comprehend... i love it.... anyway, what im saying is as far as cost and quality, id stick with mainstream brands for the most part until you start to get the hang of things and get a few more benjamins in your pocket to play around with...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sound System Inquiry.