S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drifting (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/)
-   -   AutoX vs. Drifting? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/autox-vs-drifting-32994/)

1993240 06-07-2006 12:01 PM

AutoX vs. Drifting?

I'm not trying to start an argument but does anybody here AutoX? All I hear about is drifting, why is drifting so popular? It's just a controlled spin out. I mean yeah, it looks cool and all. Maybe I just don't understand the whole fad. Can someone please explain it to me? I think AutoX is a much more demanding sport, both on you and your vehicle.

If anybody is interested in AutoX in the central Fl area check out this site:

http://65.111.162.26/sraxindex.cfm

CowboyTurbo 06-10-2006 08:46 PM

different strokes for different folks... sitting in a car sliding sideways for prolonged periods of time at 50, 60, 90+ mph is usually a bit more of an adrenaline rush than running around cones only in the first 3 gears. Plus you gotta admit it looks a helluva lot cooler too. With that said, I'd still prefer autoX to drifting too...

1993240 06-13-2006 11:46 AM

Yeah, true! I'm not dogging the sport, but as I browse through the Motorsports section of the forum all I see is DRIFTING. I was just curious if I was the only one who didn't drift.

It may also be irritation that when someone does recognize the car, it's either associated with drifting or having a SR20. I'm not into either. I run a NA KA and AutoX.

In fact, the other day I was asked in a redneck accent "That thang got a turbo?" To which, I replied "No, but it's got a HEMI"! J/K, but I wished I would've thought it when he said it. I just think it's funny!

naptime 06-13-2006 11:59 AM

same for me. although i love watching drift videos and going to drift events and get sideways occasionally, i still prefer to grip.
as far as autoX being a more demanding sport than drifting.....i don't know about that. but i'm not about to argue with you on that subject hehe.
drifting is all over the motorsport section because it's the cool thing to do. all these noobs are coming in here and that's all they want to talk about. of course, no offense to the hardcore enthusiast.....and it's jdm tyte yo! :music: :spin:

drf1nstyl 06-13-2006 01:28 PM

cowboy turbo is absolutely right, its such an adrenaline rush, even for me a fairly newcomer to the sport started 2 years ago with a t2 fc, its just fun to see what you and your car can do when your in a "uncontrollable state" it takes alot of skill to keep a car sideways, without losing controll through a series of turns in ranging speeds, i have never auto-xd but would love to i have seen it at tracks and it looks awesome, so i really cant say if its more demanding or not, but thats my opionion on why drifting is so popular....

touge4life 06-18-2006 11:19 PM

I do both autox and drifting. I used autox for the high speed lines and breaking, and drifting to push the limit even further. I do canyon runs at high speeds. In the circut there is room for mistakes. In the canyon, it's the rush of living on the edge. Even if you just drive grip in the canyons, you have to admit it's still dangerous. I like drifting because it's unconventional, not right. I also ride motorcycles, and they say that if you can't slide, you can't win. This is why I do both.

ninjlao 06-20-2006 11:43 AM

You can't say autocross is more demanding than drifting anyone with a car can go around an autocross track. But can they just start drifting at 50-90mph. If anything they are equal. The fact is there are people that like to drift and their are people that like to autocross and some just daily drive their cars. It doesnt make sense to make comments like that even if you do state that your not trying to start an argument. People read it and you just sound stupid.
By the way im not a drifter

1993240 06-20-2006 04:55 PM

Originally posted by ninjlao
You can't say autocross is more demanding than drifting anyone with a car can go around an autocross track. But can they just start drifting at 50-90mph. If anything they are equal. The fact is there are people that like to drift and their are people that like to autocross and some just daily drive their cars. It doesnt make sense to make comments like that even if you do state that your not trying to start an argument. People read it and you just sound stupid.
By the way im not a drifter

In my opinion, AutoX is more demanding when you're competitive and not just driving the course. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't drifting just throwing your car into a spin out. I'm a sports fan, all around, and I just can't see how drifting can be considered a sport. I guess it just depends on who you ask and what their interests are.

Maybe I just don't get it and maybe I started the thread out of frustration of the typical stereotype this car has been categorized. If that's the case maybe I do sound stupid. I'm just trying to find the logical reasoning behind the sport and why it's so popular with the 240sx crowd, especially over AutoX. And maybe I don't sound so stupid if everybody that has replied to this thread appears to agree that AutoX is a better sport. If that's the case, how come there isn't much about anything except drifting.

I just wanted to know why the Motorsports section of the forum was congested with drifting threads and what about drag racing? I didn't see anything for that, did you? I'm sure there are people here that are into drag racing also.

So like I said, I wasn't trying to start an argument even though it appears you are. I was just trying to figure out why this "Motorsports" (not drifting forum) was all about drifting. As I browse the forum, it just seems to me that all the 240 is good for is drifting and nothing else. Is there anybody else out there that aren't all about drifting.:D

Cape 240 06-21-2006 07:21 PM

Ok, let me add another intelligent response.

When I had my 240, I did both drifting and auto-x.
There is NO possible way to say which is HARDER, because these sports involve different skills. The difficulty of either relies soley in the driver's hands.

Personally I can't choose which is more fun, or better. Here is why:
Autocross involves A LOT of preparation. Auto-x is also a full day sport, not just going out and drifting 2 corners on the way home or something. Auto-x involves (while it is only 2-3 gears) HIGH-SPEED. It is high-speed b/c these are corners that you would not normally go that fast. This takes A LOT of skill. The skill comes in when you are in second place, and your are .001 seconds away from first (happened to me). This .001 seconds can be related to the inches one might be away from the guardrail while drifting.

At the same time, Drifting is a HUGE rush. The feeling of being sideways at 45mph around a hairpin turn is amazing. Getting inches away from the corner's edge and being able to maintain your composure. Drifting involves MUCH more skill then auto-x, here is why:
When drifting, one must know how to drive "out of control." In-order to drift correctly, one must be able to grip and have 100% control of the car while driving a grip line. Then, one must also learn how to control the car in a drift line. Which is a whole new type of driving. Thus, in order to stay out of control, one must have to know what NOT to do to stay in control.

The reason drifting is so crazy in the 240 crowd is because it is the ultimate drift car. The 240sx has almost perfect 50/50 front/rear weight balance, which makes control the traction on the wheels much easier. The 240sx is also a light car with a high power:weight ratio. It is also one of the smallest rear-wheel drive cars. Another reason drifting is so popular with 240sx's is because they are affordable. While an MR-2 might be a good drift car, the average guy doesn't have that much money to buy the MR-2 and then RISK totaling it.

Sorry for writing a short novel, but i'm very opinionated on this subject. I wish a still had my 240 :tear: (totaled while drifting)

1993240 06-21-2006 08:12 PM

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I did however say "in my opinion". The reason I started the thread seems to have gotten away from the main point. I was more interested in why drifting was so much more popular than any other automotive sport, especially with the 240. Thanks Cape240 for the explanation, drifting makes more sense to me now, but I still can't see the purpose. Good question for you, how do you judge who wins?

But then again, what's the purpose in driving a straight line at incredible speeds or driving through some cones. Basically, I guess it's whatever floats your boat or rocks your ****. With that being said, and once again, why is drifting the only subject I see in the Motorsports section of this forum? Is drifting really that much more popular with the 240 crowd than any other sport? I guess it goes the same for the SR20, which I also don't understand, other than it's a great motor for drifting. I really think I'm just frustrated with the whole, that thang got an SR, or turbo, or do you drift? No none of those, nor am I interested, but that's a whole other subject that I really don't even want to get into with anybody.

wordsux 06-26-2006 11:35 AM

personally i can drive around cones in a parking lot at my local walmart anytime. but a downhill night race if u can find the rite spot is amazing.

1993240 06-26-2006 06:45 PM

Originally posted by wordsux
personally i cant drive around cones in a parking lot at my local walmart. but a downhill night race if u can find the rite spot is amazing.
Screw the cones, just do donuts....The cops like 'em! Sorry cops...if there just happens to be any subsribed to this forum!!

Why downhill?

wordsux 06-27-2006 04:06 AM

Originally posted by 1993240
Screw the cones, just do donuts....The cops like 'em! Sorry cops...if there just happens to be any subsribed to this forum!!

Why downhill?

its harder and downplays a cars horsepower