S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drifting (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/)
-   -   Drift vs AutoX part 2 ?????? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/drift-vs-autox-part-2-a-40084/)

SD240619 07-02-2007 08:54 PM

Drift vs AutoX part 2 ??????

Hey guys. I was just wondering about something. I eventually want to learn how to drift on the track, but I have friends inviting me to go to autoX. The way I look at it, if i start with AutoX I will learn how to control my car. Do you suggest that I practice autoX first then move to drifting? or are the two sports so different, that it doesn't matter. What do you guys think?

ryguy 07-02-2007 09:59 PM

AutoX is a million and a half times easier than drifting... I mean, as an amateur. You don't have to be good at autoX to have fun, and you're only really competing against yourself. Go to the autoX, i promise you will have fun.

SD240619 07-02-2007 10:10 PM

thanks

thanks for the reply, but i was asking if autoX makes learning how to drift easier, or are they so different that one doesn't affect the other. i have no doubt that autoX is fun, and eventually i do plan on going to compete in autoX, but will what i learn in autoX help in learning how to drift?

Biggamehit 07-03-2007 03:34 AM

just to put it simple the best drifters are awesome grip drivers and vica versa the use of lines etc all plays the same roll they both can compliment the other.

Stig will write you a book on it

ryguy 07-03-2007 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit (Post 324133)
Stig will write you a book on it

I have been waiting for that. Then everybody will get into some kind of argument about something in which it is Stig vs. everybody else.

USMCDrifter 07-03-2007 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by SD240619 (Post 324078)
Hey guys. I was just wondering about something. I eventually want to learn how to drift on the track, but I have friends inviting me to go to autoX. The way I look at it, if i start with AutoX I will learn how to control my car. Do you suggest that I practice autoX first then move to drifting? or are the two sports so different, that it doesn't matter. What do you guys think?

Ehh, I've written enough books already to last me a few years, I think I'll keep this one moderately short.

You are absolutely on the money when you mentioned that Autocross will help you learn car control. That's exactly what I tell every student who has learned under my wing "Learn to grip drive before you drift, you have to walk before you can run". Basically, while still trying to keep this short, if you go to autocross events as much as possible this will NOT hurt your drifting it will only help you become a better driver and help you learn exactly what your car WANTS to do so you know exactly how to make it do what it does NOT want to do. Once you master that skill you can start moving on to bigger and better things. This is why my students who have SCCA backgrounds usually progress slightly faster than my students who do not. This isn't a recruitment speech for the SCCA or NASA I'm just saying that if you get into performance driving with something as driver-focused as autocross, you'll progress through the ranks of drifting faster than you could have ever imagined.

-Stig

SD240619 07-03-2007 12:15 PM

thanks again

hey guys, thanks for the insight. like i said, i do eventually want to learn to drift, but i want to be able to "drive" my car first. i will look into autoX before i think about registering for Drift Days. thanks again.

USMCDrifter 07-03-2007 12:21 PM

*standing on top of building with hands on hips*

*cape blowing in the wind*

Another job well done and another tragedy averted thanks to

CLUB 240 AND IT'S MEMBERS!!!!!

-Stig

Biggamehit 07-03-2007 01:08 PM

yay the clif note version.. lol

the book will be on sale soon, available at Barnes and Nobles

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/2043/bgrh0.png

USMCDrifter 07-03-2007 01:11 PM

^^^^^^
ROFLOL!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's too funny bro!!

-Stig

WeS_R20 07-03-2007 01:20 PM

^^^^^^LOL!!!!!yeah thats funny!!!^^^^^^^

Biggamehit 07-03-2007 01:39 PM

thank you lol im slowly getting into graphic editing... took me like 30 min to make that...................

silviaks2nr 07-03-2007 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by ryguy (Post 324088)
AutoX is a million and a half times easier than drifting... I mean, as an amateur. You don't have to be good at autoX to have fun, and you're only really competing against yourself. Go to the autoX, i promise you will have fun.

you don't have to be a good drifter to have fun either. that's why I think drifting is probably easier. both types of driving require a lot of practice to be able to be competitive.