S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drifting (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/)
-   -   Is Drifting a passing fad? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/drifting-passing-fad-10280/)

drftr d 02-26-2004 10:02 AM

Is Drifting a passing fad?

Drftr d here.:devil:
I get regular magazines and in Sport Compact Car I read that some people think that Drifting is a passing fad. I want to hear some input from you guys on what you think. I believe that it is a passing fad only to people who do it to show off. I want to do it as a proffesional so it will never be a passing fad to real drifters!

Drftr d out!:devil:

-HyJynX- 02-26-2004 10:46 AM

Im just a drifting hobbist. And like you said, its a fad to most of the people that do it to show off and to people that are "jumping on the band wagon"

NcTwOfOuRtY 02-26-2004 12:17 PM

well for some it may be a passing fad but for those who picked it up and truly enjoy it it wont be a passing fad..as for me I was into it before I even had my license which was before it really even hit the US, after watchin some kazaa videos at my cousin of some mountain driftin i was hooked and wanted to learn more and now here i am experiencing it first hand and i dont plan on quiting no time soon just cause it fades away, if it ever does that is.

matt180sx 02-26-2004 04:16 PM

i think it will pass for all the guys who are buying drifters to drift for show as soon as they figure out they will hit curbs, cones and guardrails only having to fix the broken parts and then not be able to afford algayzza tails and indiglow gauges. i do think it will stick for the true enthusiast who wants to learn a new driving technique and are bored straightaway racing. i also think it will grow into a more accepted mainstream sport and be supported by organazations and tracks.

DriftS14 02-26-2004 06:00 PM

just look what happend with NIRA...
Had a nice underground group for years....
Got BIG real quick (sponsers and "Stars" like Adam Saruwhatever his name was etc..)
Now NIRA is gone..
But there are still those that take it seriously going out there..
I predict that "Drifting" will lose all of the "band wagon" jumpers in a little while.
But then again, isn't EVERY thing a big bandwagon??? I mean can any one on this forum HONOSTLY say they didn't jump on it also??
Last I checked it all started with some japanese guys who got bored..

*EDIT* And before any eats my ass.. YES I JUMPED ON IT TOO!!!!!!

areitu 02-26-2004 06:36 PM

Yep. My honda-driving friend got on the band-wagon. It's actually extremely annoying becaue he wants to spend a few grand on his car before he starts drifting. Wait'll he hits something after he blows $1500 on a five-lug conversion.

Drifting is definitely a fad will probably stick around for a little bit. Kinda like how everyone was suddenly into HOndas and now it's like "Eh." But you have to think: The automotive industry is actively forcing drifting down peoples' throats right now. Everyone and their brother wants a RWD SR20 Nissan because that's what mAd tYte drifters have...even though if people were serious about drifting, they'd use old Mustangs and Camaros (then an aftermarket for suspension would develop...)

gladhatter 02-26-2004 09:47 PM

EVERYthing is a passing fad. Somethings last a bit longer than others. Drifting will be around for quite some time. I think this is because it is a motorsport that can be participated in by the "ordinary Joe". You don't have to be a NASCAR millionaire to do it.

turbonetics1984 02-28-2004 12:32 AM

i think that once they realize that one mistake could ruin their car
they wont like drifting anymore.

Dounveeme 02-28-2004 11:24 AM

the thing that made it a fad and started buggin me about it is when it bacame so mainstream. and made all the honda people look at nissan's in a new light. now all the idiot honda wannabe street racers have turned into "drifters" and more and more when i see beater riced 240's when the car i have used to be rare and specail. thats whats making it a fad and yes to those idiots it will pass cuz they wreck and realize it isnt as easy as it looks so to them it will be lame. thne what? back to the honda's so we true nissan enthusiests (sp) will once again be the true rulers of the streets & tracks lol

Bevan 02-28-2004 02:32 PM

Me being new I guess this would be a good first post

I am more intrested in doing the swap and seeing the outcome,But of course I want to learn to drift:naughty: :dunno:

irax 02-28-2004 11:14 PM

acualy, i bought the car and didnt know what drifting was.. till for some reason i looked on kaZaa for "240sx" videos and i got drifting.. i allways have been a big fan of the WRC.. and since drifting has origins from the WRC i decided to try it out, and find out more.. and i just fell in love.. and its my first car so... yeah

StanBo 02-29-2004 08:52 AM

Fad my ass.

I just got taken invited to join another drift crew.

R.A.D.

They are here to stay.

http://www.importfanatix.com/assets/.../BIG%20RAD.jpg

l2aine 03-01-2004 10:47 PM

only a fad to those who got into it because it was the "new thing"... when in reality it wasn't new at all.

Dounveeme 03-02-2004 06:52 PM

Originally posted by l2aine
only a fad to those who got into it because it was the "new thing"... when in reality it wasn't new at all.
Couldnt have EVER said it better myself. and those people are the ones that are gonna give us a bad name. just like the jerks who blast their systems in residential areas and piss people off mess it up for all the audiofphiles. just like all the idiot street wannabe street racers who thought it was the "NEW THING" when the f&f came out n gave us tuners a bad name. theres always some idiot out to ruin it for the good honest people.

Jeffro 03-22-2004 01:49 PM

Its not a passing fad...It has been around since mid 1900's...it just used to be called powersliding! hahahahahaha