S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drifting (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/)
-   -   drifting w/ diff size wheels (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/drifting-w-diff-size-wheels-8470/)

NcTwOfOuRtY 12-29-2003 09:03 PM

drifting w/ diff size wheels

just curious say if i drifted with my 17' wheels in the front and the stock wheels in the back would that change anything? to me it seems like it would but i dont know for sure so i figured id ask some people that might know for sure. if this is a repost then my bad I tried searching. thanks for your help.

-HyJynX- 12-29-2003 09:10 PM

...Wouldnt that actually hurt drifting? And why would you just put 17s in the front and not all around?

NcTwOfOuRtY 12-29-2003 09:26 PM

well thats the thing i was gonna put some 17's on all around but when i drift i dont want to sacrifice my daily driving back tires and rims, i figured it would have a negative affect but i was asking how bad of one so i was thinking to save them just use the stock back tires and take the 17s off the back and then i could use the rims/tires that where on the front for spares for the back so when i burn up all the tread ill have another set to go through if this isnt making any sense then i apologize lol im starting to confuse myself but basically i just dont want to tear up more expensive low profile tires drifting so instead use the stock ones sounds kind of stupid but just an idea to save money

-HyJynX- 12-29-2003 10:13 PM

I got what your saying, kinda. Buy some 17s, but use your stock tires/rims for drifting(All 4). A lot of people actually do that, its the best way to save money.

Jeffro 12-30-2003 08:13 AM

*blinks*

If you don't want to mess up any tire and save money...don't drift.

NcTwOfOuRtY 12-30-2003 08:19 AM

lol yea or that that always works

Justin.b 12-30-2003 09:29 AM

I'm not a drifter, but from my understanding you want more grip in the front and do just about everything from ridiculous camber to crap tires to get the rear not to grip.

In that case, having sticky tires on the front and crap in the rear may be a good setup. But, you have to also consider the possibility of smacking a curb with your nice front wheels - so you may want to put crap fronts on too. ;)

-Justin

StanBo 12-30-2003 10:54 AM

Hello,

I ran 16s in front and 15s in the rear. That was fine.

16s front and 14 was dorksucky so don't do that.

The 17/15 would be like my 16/14 and you might have the same problem.

I would watch your sidewall size to see if you can plus size the rubber to keep it within some spec of the rear tire so the car will not ride like a boat.

NcTwOfOuRtY 12-30-2003 03:53 PM

thanks for the replies, I'll probly just aim for keepin the stock all around and buy some higher grip tires for the front and hold off on the rims so i wont throw away to much money. thanks again

StanBo 12-30-2003 06:25 PM

Originally posted by NcTwOfOuRtY
thanks for the replies, I'll probly just aim for keepin the stock all around and buy some higher grip tires for the front and hold off on the rims so i wont throw away to much money. thanks again
Towards the end of last season I was blowing thru 10 rear tires an event.

Plan to stockpile.

barrigaS14 12-31-2003 08:47 AM

drifting = driver skill

different size tires don't mess up the car...a really bad driver will.

-HyJynX- 12-31-2003 09:41 AM

so a 2" difference wont harm your skill at all??? ....

StanBo 12-31-2003 10:03 AM

Originally posted by barrigaS14
drifting = driver skill

I agree with the skill.

Sizing of tires when it throws the car of is not going to help.

I guess I just suck. :)

Justin.b 12-31-2003 10:43 AM

Originally posted by barrigaS14
drifting = driver skill

I think it's kind of funny that at one end of the spectrum, drivers do all they can to maximize speed through turns and prevent the rear of the car from sliding out, while drifters at the other end spend time and much tire money trying to maximize rear sliding through turns. :)

Althought that ^^ has nothing to do with different sized tires.

-Justin

95_240SXSE 01-03-2004 10:35 AM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
I got what your saying, kinda. Buy some 17s, but use your stock tires/rims for drifting(All 4). A lot of people actually do that, its the best way to save money.
That's the way to go.