Drifting Like to go sideways? Check this forum out.

help me understand this (drifting)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 12:34 AM

help me understand this (drifting)

first and foremost i don't want to start a flame war. i'm just asking for some knowledge on this because i learn everything backwards. i need to know the answer before i work out the problem.

what is the ultimate goal in a drift technique? it seems to me that drifting was started as a means of racing. to get around a track faster.

to me drifting through every turn isn't the best way around the track. drifting is a technique used to take more aggressive turns at speed. if you have a low angle high speed turn it would be best to keep your grip so you don't have to recover at the end of the turn and can maintain your entry speed through the turn therefore increasing your exit speed.

methodology. in my opinion "drifting" the actual verb is when you enter a turn with great speed and the car's attitude becomes greater (overstear) or less (understear) then neutral and you need a recovery method. in an overstear situation you would counter stear as much as needed to maintain your line through the turn. in understearing situation you would tap the brake possibly inducing the rear of the vehicle to swing out and therefore pointing the front of the car closer to where it needs to be.

in any case drifting on tarmac is used to maintain speed through a turn. the drift will allow you to stay on the throttle which will increase your exit speed instead of breaking before the turn and cornering at the friction limit of the tires.

that's my theory. please clear this up where needed and please don't argue. i didn't ask this to have the thread locked. and mods if you feel this will start alot of trouble just get rid of it and someone can PM me.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Re: help me understand this (drifting)

Originally posted by emericanchaos
first and foremost i don't want to start a flame war. i'm just asking for some knowledge on this because i learn everything backwards. i need to know the answer before i work out the problem.

what is the ultimate goal in a drift technique? it seems to me that drifting was started as a means of racing. to get around a track faster.

to me drifting through every turn isn't the best way around the track. drifting is a technique used to take more aggressive turns at speed. if you have a low angle high speed turn it would be best to keep your grip so you don't have to recover at the end of the turn and can maintain your entry speed through the turn therefore increasing your exit speed.

methodology. in my opinion "drifting" the actual verb is when you enter a turn with great speed and the car's attitude becomes greater (overstear) or less (understear) then neutral and you need a recovery method. in an overstear situation you would counter stear as much as needed to maintain your line through the turn. in understearing situation you would tap the brake possibly inducing the rear of the vehicle to swing out and therefore pointing the front of the car closer to where it needs to be.

in any case drifting on tarmac is used to maintain speed through a turn. the drift will allow you to stay on the throttle which will increase your exit speed instead of breaking before the turn and cornering at the friction limit of the tires.

that's my theory. please clear this up where needed and please don't argue. i didn't ask this to have the thread locked. and mods if you feel this will start alot of trouble just get rid of it and someone can PM me.
here are some links to get u started:

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20t...ft%20style.htm
http://velocity.isfaster.com/drift/o...w/overview.htm

the long and short of it is that 'drifting', in the terms that most non-pro race drivers use it, refers to the tail-sliding, tire smoking sideways action that you would find in D1 grand prix. the fastest way around a corner? no. rather, it is a display of car handling abilities well beyond the vehicle's (lateral) limits. whereas 'drifting' in the terms that pro's use it, refers to a very slight state of oversteer for the ultimate in late braking while still maintaining somewhat of a proper racing line (usually to pass someone in a corner). it is said that the ability to do this will make one a faster 'grip' driver. so, in essence, grip is faster in the corners. so then why drift (definition 1)? cuz it's fun!! hope this helps!

p.s. oh yeah, i should mention that in rally racing, drifting is faster through corners due to the typical low traction conditions. had to drop that in there before some smartass beat me to it (JynX)
Old 08-25-2003, 05:56 PM

but a 4 wheel drift is still a drift.. and thats a racing term and action used in grip racing.. and from what i heard about the drifting history drivers used it as just a fun way to learn to control your car(japanese drivers) ..but i know this might catch some heat but i agree wit emerican.. drifting at one point or another can be faster.. but it's definatly not the fastest around a whole track.. maybe for one turn and thats it .. and a lil no tire smoke drift is still a drift so dont assume i'm talkin about d1 style drifting.. peaceeeeeee
Old 09-13-2003, 05:55 PM

for me its fun, no point really.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

How about this one.

Get out and try it.

Then when someone asks you to explain it you do a stupid dance to show how you moved when the car was sliding.

Then when they look at you like an idiot you take them for a ride.

Then you give them a 60mph rollercoaster ride for free.

They will then tell everyone else what it felt like with that stupid dance.

Then you all laugh. Will you know the term for what you just did? NO

Will you care? Not really.

Stop typing about it and just go do it. It is way more funner.

AND

If there are no drift events near you go autox. On the last run after you have learned the course and everyone is trying to go oh so fast for that .000000000005 gain you just rip up every fuccking turn. AND I MEAN EVERY ONE!

Don't knock down cones and you will get applause.

If you do you will get yelled at by the corner workers.

Just go drive.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

and break stuff cause that is fun too!
Old 09-13-2003, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by StanBo
How about this one.

Get out and try it.

Then when someone asks you to explain it you do a stupid dance to show how you moved when the car was sliding.

Then when they look at you like an idiot you take them for a ride.

Then you give them a 60mph rollercoaster ride for free.

They will then tell everyone else what it felt like with that stupid dance.

Then you all laugh. Will you know the term for what you just did? NO

Will you care? Not really.

Stop typing about it and just go do it. It is way more funner.

AND

If there are no drift events near you go autox. On the last run after you have learned the course and everyone is trying to go oh so fast for that .000000000005 gain you just rip up every fuccking turn. AND I MEAN EVERY ONE!

Don't knock down cones and you will get applause.

If you do you will get yelled at by the corner workers.

Just go drive.
can this man get an 'amen'?

AMEN!
Old 09-13-2003, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Sil40_Mayhem
can this man get an 'amen'?

AMEN!
That is how I explained it to Fiddler. He is a dude in our crew. Drifts a brandy new G35 coupe. Said it was pushing all day long and that it was not a drift car.

I told him to do the :

Shuffles hands and taps feet.

He and his girl laughed. Then this happened:

Old 09-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

that's sweet! dayum, my man must have serious duckets. i don't think it could do that to a 30g+ car...
Old 09-13-2003, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Stan is now my Preacher of the drifting religon
Old 09-14-2003, 02:31 AM

Drifting is ment to be fun. Thats all. I dont see what the big deal is and why some people bag on it. And why some people think it is a professional sport. It is ten times better than going in a straight line anyways. Thats why I do it. I would never try to "show drift" on a track. Thats my two cents
Old 09-14-2003, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jdmdrew
Drifting is ment to be fun. Thats all. I dont see what the big deal is and why some people bag on it. And why some people think it is a professional sport. It is ten times better than going in a straight line anyways. Thats why I do it. I would never try to "show drift" on a track. Thats my two cents
Ok think of it this way. Track is a magnification of you and your friends street drifting.

Oh you could take that turn at 30mph on the street and it was at night in the rain.

On the track it is ***** out top second gear almost hitting third if you could do it right. You blow **** up and your friends all come out and help you.

All of the people you know online are there to hang out and participate.

It is great.

Give it a try.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:34 PM

Next people are gonna be saying stuff like

"Sway your *** from side to side"

"But how?"

"Do the shuffle tap."

Hur hur.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Teh Luckinator
Next people are gonna be saying stuff like

"Sway your *** from side to side"

"But how?"

"Do the shuffle tap."

Hur hur.
Who knows?
Old 09-14-2003, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Do the shuffle tap

Quick Reply: help me understand this (drifting)