Drifting Like to go sideways? Check this forum out.

Teach me to drift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Biggamehit
p.s 2 ) drift alone or with one other person do not show off for friends ( people who dont know how to drift or cant assist u )cause ur concentration goes down. At least untill u practice about a month by ur self
I don't totally agree with this one. If you have people there you will get feedback on what you are doing. A passenger is good.

I have ridden with people and they will know when I am "on" or "off".
Old 02-13-2005, 10:13 PM

wow! Thank you so much for the feedback guys! I really appreciate the advice. I wanted to practice grip driving first then graduate to straight drifting. Think that is a better step?

By the way, i talked to over with my mechanic, and he is willing to swap my car to a manual for a great price. Granted the price doesn't matter but the quality of the work done, but I've used him for a while and he hasn't let me down. Sooo, in that light, how much more technical is to drift in a manny? (can you tell i'm a total novice to this?!) Any pointers you guys can give me?

Thanks again everyone! I really do appreciate it!

Take care!
Old 02-14-2005, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Ok to come clean here I've never driven a car besides my moms Mini Van or my Dad's Jeep that was a automatic. And obviously I wasn't attempting to drift either one of those vechicles.

However I always always personally feel like I have a much better control of the car if it's a manual transmission. Even beyond the clutch kicking factor, For me it's all about the knowledge that I control the rpms not some computer which determines what rpms the car should be running at. This enables me to match gears while shifting (forget the tech. term), and it also allows me to maintain a high rpm if I don't want to shift up into the next higher gear.

Another problem that I have found in my parents cars is that when floored they seem to get "stuck" in the lower gears if your full on the throttle. In the van I actually have to disengage the throttle or I could probably destroy the auto tranny. So I would be worried that when the time came to change gears that the car wouldn't change over. This basically would disable the throttle control and in the middle of the drift I could only imagine that it would lead to a eventual loss of control.

And personally I would learn grip driving before drifting. I'm not trying to proclaim myself champion or anything here but when your good at grip driving you should always experence a small slip angle (3 to 5 degrees is optimum if I remember correctly) whenever your in the turns. So by becoming a excellent grip driver you can have the "feel" of the car and when is the correct time to give it that extra throttle to get the rear end to come out. From there it's a different ballgame but its a start.

And to wind up this long winded speech remember that every moment that your in your car you are becoming "closer" so practice every chance you get. "Perfect Practice, makes Perfect Runs." Not an exact quote from Skip Barbers School but the idea is that practice (if in a suitable and safe environment of course) the same exact way as if you were there on the course. That way when your on the course there is no adjustments to be made. You've already trained how your going to run, all that's left is to go out there and do it.

Wow.... that was long....