S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drifting (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/)
-   -   tell me what you think of my plan for a 240 track car. (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/tell-me-what-you-think-my-plan-240-track-car-17288/)

Noglas 11-09-2004 09:51 PM

tell me what you think of my plan for a 240 track car.

Im currently looking to buy a 91-93 240 fast back to turn into a dedicated track car. After going to a few track days im hooked and cant afford to wreck my daily driver (prelude). I was thinking the 240 would be a great track car because of its afforable performance. here is a run down of what im planning on doing.

* = parts i plan to build myself

strip everything - anything thats not necessary goes!
*roll cage
racing seat
5 point harness
*intake
header
*straight pipe/dump pipe
msd ignition and coil? - at least a new cap and rotor
radiator fans
coilovers
sway bars
*tie bars
97-01 Q45 rotors and calipers
ss brake lines
good pads
wheels/ r compound tires

what do you guys think about this? good idea? bad idea? things i really need? things i listed i dont really need?

-HyJynX- 11-10-2004 12:37 AM

LSD
Bushings

Everything else seems to be good.

4984 5fsdskfvjdsntr4 11-10-2004 10:57 AM

Definately an lsd. and btw i have a MSD 6A with coil if ur interested PM me. Good luck on the car.

Noglas 11-12-2004 03:39 PM

ahh yes...how could i forget the bushings and the lsd? assuming i get a car and have the money, i think i might have to go with the 30mm 300zx brake kit from pdm racing. It looks like a very complete kit with a decent price.

damn, i want to do this soooo bad. I wish I just had 8 grand sitting in the bank so I could buy the car and all the parts in one shot. yeah...that will never happen, so unfortunately its going to be a slow project, but as things happen i will keep you guys up to date.

It will probably be a few months untill i get a car, but if you still have the ign then, ill let you know.

btw: im thinking $1000-1500 is a fair price for a 91 ish 240 with around 100K. that sound about right?

Catharsis 11-13-2004 04:19 PM

you need ajustable suspention links

Poweredby007 11-17-2004 08:16 AM

always my mods list and I think should be others also

1) LSD a real one and not any VLSD and please dont argue that it is a real one. you know what I mean

2) proper coilovers ..

3) a bucket semi bucket at minimum

4) proper tires and alignment

5) adjustable arms Toe Rod / Camber Rod Tension rod and Tie Rods sways and whatnot

6) Steering wheel

7) Better Braking.. either swap to z brakes or at minimum get better pads front and rear. SS lines and whatnot

THEN look into the motor for work. Being that in japan you get an SR with the car.. I can easily overlook the engine until later.. but top 3 NO question.. then I go Suspension for better handeing and brakes.. THEN.. I would go for more power.. thats just me

one side note.. if its going to be a track only car.. you may want to make sure that your bar will comply to any forseen rule changes so you dont have to change it again later. stuff like that.

8)

l3ooherS14 11-17-2004 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Nunook
Definately an lsd.
Absolutly.

blk90s13 11-21-2004 07:51 AM

depends on wut kind of track events u will do the LSD can be a good or a bad thing

4984 5fsdskfvjdsntr4 11-22-2004 11:04 AM

...LSD can be a good or a bad thing

Originally posted by l3ooherS14
Absolutly.
I dont see how. Obviously drifting will better from an LSD.
If you are talking about 1/4 miles then the lsd will give u better take off.
Auto X's also get benefits from LSD on turn exits and stuff.
If u plan on lots of power then maybe a different gear ratio is something to think about.

If u get a good set of damper adjustable coilovers i think u'll be able to set up pretty good for most tracks. Adjust the cambers, dampers, tire pressure

barrigaS14 11-25-2004 02:20 PM

i would say track time then mods as you go along.

oh yeah also do one mod at a time. cuz if you do all your suspension at first and then it is all messed up you will never know where the problem is. so do one thing at a time. dial it in...then go to the next once you are ready. but you need more track time to figure out what you really need to what you see.

Poweredby007 11-26-2004 05:23 AM

Originally posted by barrigaS14
i would say track time then mods as you go along.

oh yeah also do one mod at a time. cuz if you do all your suspension at first and then it is all messed up you will never know where the problem is. so do one thing at a time. dial it in...then go to the next once you are ready. but you need more track time to figure out what you really need to what you see.

I on the other hand disagree with this. As long as you are competent with putting the suspension in then there should be no problem.. If you put one thing in then dail it in.. you have to get alignment everytime you add another part.. and in japan thats 200 bucks each time. I put ALL my suspension on at one time
REAR:
toe rod / camber rod / upper link / Lower control arm / sway bars
Front:
tension rods / tie rods / sway bar / tension rod bar
THEN i got alignment.. no problems end of story.

and I didnt NEED track time to tell me that i needed adjustable toe camber arms.. somethings are just common sense to get if your serious about it.

my opinion

barrigaS14 11-26-2004 11:03 PM

Originally posted by Poweredby007
I on the other hand disagree with this. As long as you are competent with putting the suspension in then there should be no problem.. If you put one thing in then dail it in.. you have to get alignment everytime you add another part.. and in japan thats 200 bucks each time. I put ALL my suspension on at one time
REAR:
toe rod / camber rod / upper link / Lower control arm / sway bars
Front:
tension rods / tie rods / sway bar / tension rod bar
THEN i got alignment.. no problems end of story.

and I didnt NEED track time to tell me that i needed adjustable toe camber arms.. somethings are just common sense to get if your serious about it.

my opinion

thing is...if it is a dedicated "track car" then he really doesn't need it to have to do that all the time.

now...reason i say this is because alot of noobs around Az and what i read on forums say all this stuff like...i just swapped in my SR with ______ (list 15 aftermarket items) and did the Z32 front and rear brakes and put all of these suspension mods on it...and what happens...their cars run like ****.

first off they have leaks and **** isn't hooked up right in the engine. why is that? because of all the stuff they added on. now where does the problem ly? well good question. it could be many things or just one.

then with the suspension it might work like in the idea that you can keep the car from hitting the ground. but why does the car track to the right? is it because of the toe/camber from the rear or front. is it the tie rods that you got. is it because the frame could be torqued and you didn't think about that.

no matter how dilligent you are there are going to be problems. now if you had ties rods and installed them first in your car. noticed that it track to the right and fixed it. it would be much less of a headache. why do professional teams always dial in their cars? because it is always different. temperature affects the car. type of track you are running on. and a million other things you need to think about. you want your car to be close to neutral as possible. so if you need more camber/toe/power you will be able to do it without having 10 ghost problems.

RRS13 12-13-2004 08:47 PM

I just bought a 1993 S13 HB last friday...I LOVE THE DAMN THING! Anyways...the car had Tein S-Tech springs with Tokico shocks, and that's it. The tires and wheels are stock.

The day I bought it, I took it to the track and went road racing. I found that since everything was pretty much stock, I really got to feel what I needed to tune, ie the suspension and tires.

I say, buy your car, go out to the track and mess around. Get a feel for the ride. All the mods the other guys mentioned were great suggestions. So my suggestion is feel out your car for what needs tuning and go from there. Good luck with the car and have fun!

Chris(NJ) 12-19-2004 05:26 PM

You asked a pretty broad question, so it's hard to answer.
But, something you REALLY need which isnt mentioned (or I overlooked) is good brake fluid. Motul 600, ATE superblue, Castrol SRF, etc.