S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drifting (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/)
-   -   Tires for drifting (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/tires-drifting-34136/)

240tom 08-06-2006 03:48 PM

Tires for drifting

Can anyone suggest the best tire and rim sizes for drifting?? I have a 1991 240sx SE.

-Thanks

silverjoki 08-06-2006 04:45 PM

no more the a 17/225 and no less then a 15/205 doesnt matter what brand its just gonna go up in smoke anyways... but if it matters to you then i usually go with bridgestone their pretty cheap and usually last me a couple track days.

MS!3 08-06-2006 05:43 PM

i just use tires from the junkyard. im not professional or anything so those are good enough for now. just throw some steelies on the rear.

240tom 08-06-2006 07:36 PM

Well, I would imagine with a stock tire size would have alot of flexing back and forth and a tire that is too short (ie; "rubberband tires") would roll off the rim ?? Just trying to find the safest happy/ medium.

ExemptedNut 08-07-2006 04:50 PM

I did a lot of drifting in my mr2 when I had it and on 14" rims the tire would flex to much, but when I put 17's on I never once had an issue with the rim rolling off or anything. I haven't been able to drift my 240sx yet.

Bryan 08-08-2006 01:51 AM

If your just learning I'd just run stock sizes. Get some used tires, shred 'em, get more, shred 'em, and so forth. When you feel you are ready, move onto some rubber with better grip.

motegineon 08-08-2006 08:53 AM

lol rubberband tires will not roll off, and ^ is right

StanBo 08-29-2006 07:29 PM

Best tire for the rear is the one you can afford.

Best tire for the front is a pair of azenis sports that have been heat cycled by your local autox guy. he will no longer need them and you will get them for a mint price.

pair the cheap azenis sports with the said cheap tires.

Watch your pressures as they will help with the roll over. :)

Increase your entry speed and you will be able to spin larger wheels as you will have more momentum.

What mods are on this 240 you are trying to drift? If there are no mods how is the maintenance on the car?

buyMEbeerPLEASE 03-28-2007 01:08 PM

I use Federal Super Steels... $350 brand new all the way around and they haven't let me down yet... just my 2 cents :bigok:

silentvoice19 03-28-2007 03:57 PM

well i heard bridgestone has a new drifting tire out i heard its pretty damn good. I have a bunch of friends who work at tire rack in south bend he gets to find out about a lot of the new tires and rims that come out before they get to us.If i was you i look at a a fordable tire when you new you'll burn em off like a mo.

Biggamehit 03-28-2007 04:44 PM

if you are just starting out bro you don't want to much grip in the rear initially this will transition you into what ****ty tires feel like compared to good tires. also the primary reason is, you have to develop your skills and see how you want to to initiate drifts having less grip will assist you

but by all means if you can afford some good grippy front tires of your choice do so.. it will help combat under-steering bro. trust me i have slid into ****, not a great feeling at all.... but you brush it off and continue drifting, that is if your car can move afterwards.

onemoreblock 04-03-2007 09:49 PM

205/50/15 toyo proxie 4's

Clearalbino 04-05-2007 10:18 AM

I agree with biggamehit, if you have grippy tires all the way around you will have massive understeer while trying to kick it out. Start out with some really grippy tires in the front and just some junker tires in the rear, I have ran a 225/60/16 at track days on my stock 205/55/16 and they wont roll off the bead. BTW, once you get more into drifting, i suggest buying a spare differential and welding the spider gears. Initially it feels totally different but you get used to it.

Biggamehit 04-05-2007 10:24 AM

^^^yeaup....

as we said in another forum... welding the diff is a good way to break into the sport. but as with any kind of modification there will be some downsides.... i was fine with wheel hop and fast wearing..

only weld your diff if you plan to drift alot...

neville610135 04-05-2007 01:05 PM

I've read in Super Street mag before that the Poxes T1R tire could last the trip to the track, a full race, and still get you home. Dunno if they are referring to drifting, drag, or regular circuit race, but i'd say thats pretty dam good. A lot of pro drifters use these too. They are a bit pricey, about $700 for 4 OE S14 tires, but considering how long they last, i think they are just about even.