S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drifting (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/)
-   -   What do I need to upgrade for Drifting? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/what-do-i-need-upgrade-drifting-40799/)

khon_sama 08-17-2007 06:33 PM

What do I need to upgrade for Drifting?

I'm getting to drifting lately....I really enjoy it:waglleybooty: .....my car is 92 240SX (stock)....I used to drift in wet place...like it when it slided smoothly:smilie_thumbsup: .....but it ain't happen to dry place....

i want cheap list...few things that make my car slide easily..........:help:

IPWNU 08-17-2007 10:06 PM

Old tyres? That should make you slid nice

Bryan 08-17-2007 10:51 PM

First and foremost, you will have to get seat time. No mods can make up for actually getting out and actually driving. Eventually you will want to look for a differential, either aftermarket 2-way, 1.5, or get a used Nissan VLSD from a compatible chassis. You can also look into stiffer suspension, but it isn't a necessity to learn how to drift, when it all comes down to it, seat time will be the most valuable and worthwhile thing you can do...

driftpirate_s13 08-17-2007 11:40 PM

start with an LSD, spare wheels/tires. just one set will suffice and suspension(read: coilovers)
after that research for sanctioned events in your area

seat time is the most important thing you can get

battosaii930 08-18-2007 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by khon_sama (Post 331029)
I'm getting to drifting lately....I really enjoy it:waglleybooty: .....my car is 92 240SX (stock)....I used to drift in wet place...like it when it slided smoothly:smilie_thumbsup: .....but it ain't happen to dry place....

there is absolutely nothing cheap about drifting lol there is no cheap list.

in drifting there is a high probability of somthing blowing up or you crashing making it even more expensive if you dont got the flow stay stock and maintain it in good condition till you are able to make more money. also welded stock diff is cheaper then buying an lsd

RENEGADE_Tuy 08-18-2007 03:39 AM

I've read that you can start learning and practicing with junkyard tires. After you get a feel for low grip, move on to something higher.

240AM 08-18-2007 02:04 PM

Weld your diff and then practice, practice, practice. When you get more money start with the suspension first, coilovers and then sway bars. Also, any amount of weight you remove from the car can help to a point.

khon_sama 08-20-2007 04:17 PM

VLSD and after market 2-way LSD....which one of them good for beginner....????

your suggesttion...what're coilovers good for drifting?

thanks!!!!!!

driftpirate_s13 08-20-2007 06:45 PM

VLSD is crap, PLENTY of people who say it sucks

get a 2way

good coilovers

STANCE GR pros or something like that

USMCDrifter 08-21-2007 02:13 AM

If you're a beginner why would you want to spend excessive money?

Do you plan on going professional, completing the Pro AM circuit, entering Formula D? No? Hmmmm.....

You're best be is to enter some practice EVENTS with your stock car the way it is and get your seat time. There's NOTHING that can replace seat time, no modification on earth can replace that.

Get to EVENTS! Stop drifting in parking lots! Parking lots do NOT teach control of your car the way they need to and drifting in the streets . . . . .*sigh* I just won't go there!

Remember this...

1 DAY AT AN EVENT WILL GIVE YOU MORE EXPERIENCE THAN 10 DAYS ON THE STREETS!

Keep the above in mind, when you're ready to really open up the competition level, do something easy, a welded diff is fine, save for practicality, I would say simply upgrading to a 1 way or 1.5 way limited slip should be fine. Especially for a novice. When you're starting you do not want to spend a lot of money that you're just going to wind up replacing and flushing down the toilet.

That is all...

-Stig

Biggamehit 08-21-2007 06:32 AM

im stickying this... so please don't post anymore what do i need for drifting threads.

USMCDrifter 08-21-2007 09:47 AM

:werd:

-Stig

battosaii930 08-21-2007 01:59 PM

actually there is one mod that will make you an awsome driver... its called letting the stig drive >.>

USMCDrifter 08-21-2007 04:12 PM

LMAO!

That modification is illegal in 17 countries, the SCCA and the NASA, :rofl:

-Stig

sr20rebel 01-03-2008 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by khon_sama (Post 331029)

Best thing to do if you dont want to drop the money into the motor or swap it out for a sr20:buttrock: is simple suspension upgrades like coil overs. there are tons of packages out there for very cheap that wont end up in the trash after a good drift session. my buddy did that to his and he loved it. after that upgrades to the brakes and tires. I dont reccomened old tires. And after that if you still find it hard to kick it side ways there is nothing wrong with a good old motor swap. hope this helps and keep it side ways but keep it safe.