S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/)
-   -   5 speed rebuild questions (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/5-speed-rebuild-questions-40209/)

Krys 07-10-2007 05:44 AM

5 speed rebuild questions

hey guys i have had my 5 speed swap done for a couple of months now in my 92 hatch when i first put the tranny in 4th gear was grinding i could live with double clutching 4th but now second is grinding when i rev 1st over 3k :( so I'm looking for a rebuild kit for my tranny and was wondering if anyone knew of a decent kit for the rebuild. autozone can get me a kit for 120 bucks but i want 2 look around before i commit to them. ive tried looking on the net and the forum and i haven't been able to find anything and i was wondering if anyone knew of anything better than the autozone kit. Thanks

~Krys~

Biggamehit 07-10-2007 09:51 AM

its not worth the time and labor bro.. if you are not adding racing gears to your tranny you may as well toss it and pick up another tranny for 75 to 100 bucks from your local junkyard.

somethings are just not worth the time to fix

Krys 07-10-2007 05:20 PM

im not goin to pay any labor im goin to have it rebuilt at my tech school Free Labor so i could pay 120 for a new tranny with out the labor charges i just wanted 2 know if there where any other rebuild kits that i havent been able to find

Biggamehit 07-10-2007 05:36 PM

sorry bro thats just something i have not looked much into.. Google would be your best bet.

Krys 07-10-2007 05:41 PM

ive been lookin ill keep tryin though thx

DJ_Sunrise 07-16-2007 03:02 PM

Check to see what comes in the kit.. Better yet swap in a new trans, take your old one apart and see what needs to be replaced. My SR tranny needed an ext. case bearing.. ($17) No more grinds, shudder, etc. Keep in mind the
S13 and S14 SR/KA trannies are NOT identical. However.. Internally the
FS5W71C transmission is identical.

1) bell housings are different between SR/KA
2) S14 KA/SR have much improved internal baffling. If racing/drifting, S14 trans is a better way to go.

-Bart

Krys 07-16-2007 07:58 PM

lol beside the occasional race on the street i dont race to much or drift i just need it to get me around i have a KA tranny when i was lookin i knew the s14 wouldnt work without more modifications my buddy is partin out his 240 i think i just might buy his tranny my only problem is i cant go more than a weekend without a car i travel to school during the week and dont have any other means to get around

nightkid86 07-16-2007 08:33 PM

What gear fluid are you using? Over time GL5 fluid will eat up the synchros, I find a synthetic GL4 fluid such as redline mt90 really helps mine shift smoothly.

Krys 07-17-2007 05:30 AM

4th was grindin the day i put it in and then 2nd started idk what kind is in there i got it from autozone when i rebuild it im goin to put redline fluid in it

DJ_Sunrise 07-17-2007 04:01 PM

"i have a KA tranny when i was lookin i knew the s14 wouldnt work without more modifications"

-----What do you mean??? S13 S14 tranny are identical. They fit right on without any issues.

A tranny swap the first time around with the proper tools does not take long if you have a buddy with you. My first clutch job took 8 hrs by myself..Its down to about 6 hours now. Just set aside a Saturday or Sunday, and start early.

-Bart

Krys 07-17-2007 06:38 PM

"What do you mean??? S13 S14 tranny are identical. They fit right on without any issues."

i mean the sr s14 tranny

DJ_Sunrise 07-18-2007 04:25 AM

buy it and swap the bellhousing. for some reason SR tranny runs at a premium.. JDM bling bling identical to the American thing.. BS.

-Bart