S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/)
-   -   auto-manual tranny swap...PROS AND CONS???? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/auto-manual-tranny-swap-pros-cons-33050/)

driftfreek 06-09-2006 09:09 PM

auto-manual tranny swap...PROS AND CONS????

i wanna get a 240, and if i get a auto i wanna change it to manual...please i need suggestions..

ka-tfresh 06-10-2006 10:27 AM

pros-faster, and you get to change your own gears

cons-grandma won't like riding with you anymore

Bryan 06-10-2006 10:35 AM

Moved to the "Drivetrain" section

driftfreek 06-10-2006 11:12 AM

has anyone done this before? cuz i want to know if the shift boot, shift stick and all that stuff looks good at the end of the swap, i want it to look like if i would have bought a manual car.

chiroke 06-10-2006 01:52 PM

r u serious?? u want to know if it looks good?? dude 1st search about 5speed swap. has anyone done this before??? LOL!!!!

ka-tfresh 06-10-2006 03:25 PM

it looks fine, and yes....thousands of people have done it

Milonius 06-13-2006 07:45 AM

Use the search option.

theres 3 really good threads all about the swap. I am ok with cars, and did the swap myself in my garage in 10 hrs off stuff from this site and mabey a few others. oh and l2aine answered some dumb questions i had. most of the interior peieces i reused fror the manual. only thing i had to take off was the little bracket that had the auto gears listed or w/e. but my trim does say i have shift lock still. i even reused my auto crossmember. just dont forget to put grease on teh spindle....or add a cpl hrs

PNG 06-14-2006 11:47 AM

The automatic is better for everything except drifting, roadracing, and autocross.

barcode 06-14-2006 12:44 PM

auto isnt better for gas milage, and that lwave the auto only good for one thing lol drag.

soldierdude262 06-14-2006 01:44 PM

^ what is the parasitic loss of the auto v. the manual? Granted for a noob nuttin beats auto in a drag race, but if you really know how to drive, manuals are usually better for getting power to the ground. Honeslty the only pro of having a manual is stop-and-go traffic where a manual can be a pita, for any other thing I'd take a manual.

barcode 06-14-2006 02:03 PM

ok i read a bunch of places and i got pretty much the same from all of them, they say the auto loses about 25% and that manual loses 13% ( those are just averages, not the exact numbers of all the sites.)

So auto lose quite a bit more then sticks.

PNG 06-14-2006 02:07 PM

Let's be realistic here. 95% of the time, our cars are being driven from point A to point B on the street. Yes, a manual will get slightly better gas mileage under certain circumstances, but on the freeway the lockup converter takes that advantage away, and if you're driving a stick aggressively in traffic, you're throwing away any mileage difference anyway.

I've never lost a race in my 240 because I missed a shift. I've never burned up a clutch at the track or blown a launch because I bogged off the line. I don't get home from work with a sore left leg from driving in stop-and-go traffic. I can answer my phone while accelerating without running out of hands to steer the car.

I don't autocross, drift, or roadrace. Why would I even want a stick shift? What possible advantage does it give me?

barcode 06-14-2006 02:15 PM

hey you can drive an auto just as agressivley and throw away the milage that it already dosent have over the manual.

the advantage it would give you would be the joy of driving, I feel when you have a stick you get more into driveing, you become one with the car, lol. And, you shouldnt be on the phone while driving anyway lol J/k.

Bryan 06-14-2006 02:23 PM

If I was doing only daily and drag racing I would take an auto