Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

automatic slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 05:55 PM

automatic slipping?

i have a 91 240 automatic and i can drive it but when i get to a certain rpm the rpm just goes all the way to red line, like in a standard car well your clutch is slipping what could this be? tork converter
Old 08-30-2005, 03:42 AM
Contributing Member

it could be that you have lost upper gears in your transmission... there is a way to out the transmission into self diagnostics without using the nissan consult tool...

start the motor and let it warm up... put the car into drive and turn off the motor and key... key wont come out but that is okay... set the over drive switch to the on position... move gear selector to the p. position... turn ignition switch to on.... do not start... make sure the overdrive light comes on for at least 2 seconds... if yes continue... if no get out your fsm and read on the transmission diagnostics procedure 1...

now then...

turn off the ignition... press the shift lock button and put the car into drive... set the overdrive button to off...turn ignition to the on position... do not try to start... wait for more than 2 seconds and then move the gear selector to the 2 position... set over drive switch to the on position... then move selector to the 1 position and the over drive switch to the off position... slowly press the gas pedal to the floor and release... set the overdrive switch to the on position...

now look at your overdrive light... it should start flashing... the first flash will be long... the rest of the flashes will indicat the trouble code... it should flash 12 times in total... the first one is a long light on... means that the transmission ecu is in diagnostics mode... each light flash after that means a code for the transmission...

after the first long flash watch the lights and see which one stays on longer than the others... the lights will flash faster as it goes through the diagnostics test but it will flash until you turn off the ignition...

watch and couthe lights for a few cycles until you get the patern then pay attention to how long the lights stay on...

no problems found will flash like this... 2.5 seconds light on...then off... 2 seconds light on then off... 1 second light on then off... one second light on then off... 1 second light on then off... 1 second light on then off...until the end of the cycle... if a light stays on longer than this patern then that is your judgemnt code... look in the fsm for the judgment code number and how to test and diagnose the problem...

Last edited by wikd240; 08-30-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:30 AM

oh yeah mr. Wild240, lets see about this:

I have an auto and it only goes on to 2nd gear. If I put it in 1st, I'll go a gear lower, but it still really slow and hard for the car o move. It won't lock out of park, the OD light won't come on anytime, it takes the 2nd gear and in drive, it goes to 2nd but lets go of the gear when I stop accelerating (unlike putting it in 2nd, which makes it hold the car back when I stop accelerating). I get signal 54: ECU to automatic control unit circuit. It might be the A/T control unit thats burned right? I've cheked all the cables and the computer itself, both of them but found nothing bad or funky smell. also when I'm going really fast in drive (like 60 or more) and I let go of the acel., the revs will down to idle, then the trans catches for like half a second and the revs jump to like 1.5K. then it lets go for another 10 secs, then the cycle repeats.Its really wierd, and driving on the highway makes it even more painfull.

It seems that when one has his car broken or they are not in their car everyone who has a crapy car wants to race with you doens't it?

Edit: I've tried to put it in diagnostic mode, but then again, the light doesn't even come on, and it doesn't react. I can even remove they key when it says I can't.

Last edited by Joel SX; 09-07-2005 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

go to a junk yard and get a spare transmission ecu... it is right next to the engine ecu... try swapping them out anf then try to get the transmission into diagnostic mode... that is the bad thing and the good thing about there being a trans ecu... hondas you have to replace the whole ecu... ours we can just swap in another ecu for the trans... i narrowed mine down to either the rev sensor or the speed sensor... i swapped the speed sensor but i cant find a rev sensor anywhere other than the dealer... so i am still working on mine...