S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/)
-   -   is ceramic clutch better..... (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/ceramic-clutch-better-39514/)

pakidrifter 05-30-2007 05:32 PM

is ceramic clutch better.....

i am driving a stock 240. i need a new clutch. i am getting a very good deal on ceramic clutch. is it better than the exedy stage 1 clutch or should i just get the ceramic one. is ceramic clutch feel different than the exedy clutch. what are the advantages and disadvantages of the ceramic clutch. i am planning to start going to the track after the clutch and some minor modifying. other than that its an every day car. some touge on the weekend. any advice will be appreiciated.

epp_b 05-30-2007 06:05 PM

I don't have any experience with ceramic clutches. I think they are a little more tricky to use, but they have a longer life time.

I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Biggamehit 05-30-2007 06:11 PM

the pressure plate ( clamping force) has more to do with the feeling through your foot, now when you feel the vibration as the clutch grabs very hard during a shift, thats more of the disc

to put it simple with material, others just last a lil longer than..

organic would be the lowest of them all.. then you have your ceramic, kevlar, carbon blah blah... the properties that they are made of act differently to clutch kicks, slipping of the clutch and break in/down differently.

Rnz520 06-26-2007 06:42 PM

I know they are prone to failure if not used correctly, and have a very short engagement, like its not there and suddenly its there.

jramosthe1st! 06-26-2007 08:21 PM

biggamehit gave a good explanation, but my question is better for what?
daily driving i'd say no, track use yes.

Biggamehit 06-26-2007 11:15 PM

the new pressure plate technology is simply amazing... major clamping force with a almost oem pedal feel

geeter40 06-30-2007 08:43 AM

ceramic clutch

Ceramic clutches engage hard and wear the flywheel and pressure plate extremely fast. We've installed several at our transmission shop. They are nice if you intend to race, but not very good for every day driving. You'll end up needing to replace your clutch every couple of years.

motegineon 06-30-2007 08:34 PM

just a little imput, i have an exedy stg 1 and its taken a good amount of abuse on about 300hp and still grabs really well after about a year, good amount of autoX, and some beating at the drag track..but other than that i dont clutch kick or drop the clutch while drifting..

Biggamehit 06-30-2007 10:49 PM

yea after a night of clutch kicking i say sorry to my drivetrain

HKST04Z 07-05-2007 03:57 PM

good thing about ceramic clutches is that when you beat the crap out of them, they do not build up a glaze on the outside of the disc like an organic clutch would. bad thing is they are not very practical for everyday driving because the engagement is very sudden, and you also get an annoying clutch chatter due to the disc sometimes not being able to grab instantly.

Torby 07-05-2007 05:32 PM

^^ What he said. I have an Xtreme ceramic paddle clutch myself. Short engagement, chatters sometimes, but once you get to know it, it isn't that bad for daily driving.

DJ_Sunrise 07-16-2007 03:33 PM

My Exedy Hyper Single is smoother than the OEM I used with easier engagement and smoother shifts. Amazing.

-Bart