S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/)
-   -   couple questions about vlsd and axles (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/couple-questions-about-vlsd-axles-34069/)

beatboxer777 08-03-2006 01:57 PM

couple questions about vlsd and axles

Whats up everyone, its been awhile since ive had to post up on this forum but im kinda stumped atm :rolleyes:

I used to have a j30 lsd with 5 bolt axles. When i was making a left turn one day, one of the ball bearings in the right rear axle disentegrated, taking the axle with it. The flanges on that side of the lsd were completely torn up, so i had to get new axles and a new lsd.

I bought a 4.08 geared vlsd out of a 180sx and two 5 bolt axles out of a 300z. For some reason, it seems that the axles wont go in completely, like there is maybe a millimeter or so on each axle that wont go into the spindle. I pulled the ebrake as far as it can go on my car, and i tightened the axle bolts down as much as i could, so much in fact that the rotors started turning with the ebrake on! I figured the axles needed to set in place or something once i started driving on em so i didnt worry too much about that. I mean, the cv boots will just compress a little once i install the lsd right?

The other part of this thread is how annoying it was to remove the lsd and put it back in. I havent put the new one in yet, but i hate how you have to wrestle with the damn thing and jimmy it into different positions before you can get it out of the car. Is there an easier way to put the lsd in? I don't want to remove my exhaust or the under bar. What i do to take lsd's out and in a car is i jack up the car, with the point of lifting on the underside of hte lsd. I unbolt everything from the lsd and then i push the jack forward some to disengage the 4 rear bolts on the lsd from the frame. Thats where i get clearance issues, im always bumping into stuff and i have to wrestle around to finally get it down. Installing the lsd seems even more annoying. Any help here would be appreciated, thanks =)

Levi SPL S14 08-03-2006 05:51 PM

Takes me 10mins to drop and re-install a diff with exhaust on and sway bar hanging (still boltes only on end links).

Measure the lenght of your axles you may have gotten the wrong ones.

beatboxer777 08-03-2006 09:13 PM

well i put the old ones together with the new ones and eyeballed them. They seemed to be the exact same size. The only thing i can think of in terms of measurements would be that the axles are larger by only a couple of millimeters. Even the spindle insert ends seemed the same length :dunno:

positron 12-17-2006 04:45 PM

When I was under the rear of my car the other day I was looking and wondering about how difficult it looked to be to take the differential out because it's practically right up against the exhaust. It doesn't look like it would be too easy to remove without moving the exhaust. Am I wrong because I'm looking to get a Vlsd afte I finish my rear suspension changes?:dunno: