S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/)
-   -   Damn Clutch Problems!!! (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/damn-clutch-problems-38598/)

AZdrifterS13 04-03-2007 03:09 PM

Damn Clutch Problems!!!

OK so some of you might already know that I replaced my clutch. I just got the OE one from checker cause I didnt have money do go aftermarket. But anyway, I have been having some problems and I dont know whats going on.

Right now I am on my second NEW clutch, I replaced the old one, then the new one started slipping still, and i took it back and they said they gave me the wrong one, so i thought that was the problem. Well I installed the new one it slips too. It worked pretty good for about a week, I was going really easy on it to break it in, and then it just started slipping. I was driving one day, and i felt something, idk what it was, but it felt like something little broke or hit something, all i know is i felt it, and after that happened, it started slipping after just a little bit of driving.

Now I am about to tear it down again and try to see whats wrong, but I think i might know what is going on. When I install the transmission back on, because of the tightness of the trans tunnel, I am forced to push the input shaft against the fingrers of the diaphram spring, so maybe, I am bending the diaphram and making it loose tension? If so, how am I supposed to do it? I haev spent hours and hours under my car, trying to get the trans back on the engine, but it just wont go on any other way.

Ok well this is extremely long, I am sorry, but this is all i know what to do. I'm thinking about just taking it into a shop so I dont have to worry about it anymore. Man it really sucks not being able to drive my new car.

Biggamehit 04-03-2007 03:19 PM

what flywheel are you using also are you tightening the pressure plate down using cross pattern ?

the simple way to get the tranny back up is to have someone or yourself pick the tranny up off the ground while you are laying down.. have the other person slide the jack ( with wheels on it, jack must placed in a manner that will allow you to slide the tranny back and forward toward the motor)

once you placed the jack on the middle most portion of the tranny slide it toward the engine and stop with about 2 inches between the block and bell housing. Now jack the tranny up and use a flash light so that you can see when the input shaft lines up with the center of the clutch.. now you must guide the bell housing while your buddy pushes the rear of the tranny. once the input shaft touches the clutch, you will now have to crank the motor by hand or rock the tranny left and right in order to seat it..

You will have a long week if you are trying to install a tranny from the ground alone without a ground tranny jack.

also did you change the slave cylinder??

ps

did you clean out the bell housing at all with brake cleaner????? if not you may be contaminating your clutch face with dirt and debris

2fast4y0u 04-03-2007 03:37 PM

werd/\/\/\/\/\

i had the same problems you did. take biggamehit's advice. clean everything. also make sure you arent putting to much grease on the input shaft. that **** will get hot and turn to oil, then spray on your cltuch. thats what happend to me and it smoke my clutch and flywheel(act hd and fidanza light wieght) expensive to fix and also a pain in the ass!!!
when puting the trans back in, do what biggamehit said...i also put a cherry picker on my motor, unscrewed the motor mounts just a little and lifted up on the motor to get a better angle at it. i had one person bench pressing the trans, me lining it up and one working the cherry picker. of course i had one supervising drinking all the beer too, bastard!
anyway, make sure the clutch fork is on properly, it might not be sitting on there corectly and only forcing half the clutch disc down therefore not getting all surface pressure.

hopefully that helps ya out.

ps: definetly check the slave cylinder

AZdrifterS13 04-03-2007 03:39 PM

I got a remanufactered flywheel, and yes i tightened it crisscross. Yeah I did the tranny by myself but with a jack, but the tunnel just will not allow me to line the tranns up with out it being like a millimeter away for the clutch, the bellhousing hits against the tunnel. No i didnt change the slave,i did bleed it though, and yes i cleaned the inside.

2fast4y0u 04-03-2007 08:23 PM

i had to bash in the tunnle on my s14 just a little. trust me i cried as i was swinging the hammer. that allowed me to make it fit better.

AZdrifterS13 04-03-2007 10:06 PM

dude i'm totally thinking that for sure. And i wont be crying cause it will be good to take some of my aggression out on the stupid thing. Why would nissan put a big ass hump in the tunnel right where the hump for the starter is in the bellhousing? thats what makes it such a pain in the ass. I'm so mad at it. i got this car over a month ago right? And I got one good week of driving it in and then bam! burnt clutch. How bad does that suck?

I have another question, when i first got it, it was fine, but after the first time i change my clutch, it started to vibrate really bad at idle. like the whole car shook its so bad. I think its the flywheel, because thats the only thing that makes sense to me. is it not balanced right, do you think?

Biggamehit 04-03-2007 10:16 PM

dude that really sounds like something was loose..... man i hope u get it all worked out bro.

AZdrifterS13 04-03-2007 10:41 PM

like what? I torqued the flywheel down to 102 ft/lbs like it says in the Chiltons manual...what else could be loose? How much do you think a shop would charge to change the clutch? I feel like I'm running out of options.

2fast4y0u 04-04-2007 06:08 AM

dont loose hope...if there is anyone that can tell you that its me... i dont know if my old post are on here still but let me give you a quick story bought my car.

98 ka auto..swapped to s13 sr and to manual. car had little ups and downs for first 5 months. i dont drive my car in the winter so i do upgrades then. decided to put cams in...big mistake. blew motor. rebuilt motor took 364 days from blow up date to run date. i spent close to $8k in parts...
no car is running and bought new act hd street disc with fidanz flywheel. about $1000 in clutch parts. installed drove for about 2 hours...smoked.

i have been dealing with this bull**** for sense before the snow flew this year. just got it taken care of. my clutch fork wasnt aligned properly. the grease got to hot and sprayed all over the cktuch disc. the flywheel has heat soaked spots so bad that i had to replace the disc already.

so, trust me, i have had my trans in and out so many times i can do wt with my eyes closed now.
get someone to help you by laying under the front of the car in there back, pulling on the back of the motor by the oil pan towards the front of the car. that should move the back of the motor down enough to get that input shaft in properly.

ps: so for rambling there a little

Biggamehit 04-04-2007 07:13 AM

lol dont give up lol... you know my list of destruction

it may be something that you are forgetting or doing wrong... also how much lubercation are you placing on the splines??? you also may want to get a new flywheel. even though you had it resurfaced, it may not be with-in specs. you can only have it resurfaced so many times

AZdrifterS13 04-04-2007 03:04 PM

Man that really sucks 2fast4you, thats like the saddest story i have ever heard! haha. Yeah What i did was put a jack under the oil pan to tilt the engine a little bit, it worked somewhat. i wish I had a cherry picker and i could just drop the engine to the ground and do it like that. man that would be so easy. hopefully i put too much grease on something or something easy like that, cause if its not something obvious, i dont know what I'm gonna do.

PS: 2fast4you, why did cams blowup your engine?

2fast4y0u 04-04-2007 04:24 PM

i bought hks 264 step two...didnt know that i needed to replace my vavle springs...long stry short. one of the shims under the rocker arm pooped out under starting the engine and decided to make its all the way to the oil pan. after tearing down the the entire motor i finally found it and rebuilt with way better parts
check this link out this is what i re-built with http://www.club240.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37164

AZdrifterS13 04-04-2007 11:19 PM

dude that really blows. You should have gone stroker dude. that would have been sick. a whole .2L extra displacement FTW! Hey you should come down here and help me fix my clutch. haha

2fast4y0u 04-05-2007 06:17 AM

****, i would love to come to arizona...ill be in houston for the next 5 days. i leave friday morning at like 3am from chicago. i will only be 16 hours from phoenix

AZdrifterS13 04-05-2007 11:39 AM

ONLY...i see... haha yeah right. damn i have been procrastinating on working on my car. hopefully i will do some tonight.