S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/)
-   -   how easy is it (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/how-easy-34026/)

speedemon240 08-02-2006 07:08 AM

how easy is it

there are alot of ppl posting on how to swap tranny's and make it look so easy is it really? i am 19 and know fairly enough about cars and their parts. How long does it approx. take to do a tranny sawp anyway? askin if u work like an avg. of 3-4 hrs a day. and is doing it urself worth or should i jus pay some1 to do it. alot of question i know!

Bryan 08-02-2006 08:19 AM

Just get up one morning, invite some mechanically inclined friends over, and go at it. Should be able to finish it in a day no problem if you have everything that is needed and everything goes right. It will definitely save cash to do it yourself.

speedemon240 08-02-2006 10:57 AM

i can do it in 1 day? i have mechanically inclined friends as am i. so it isnt that hard to do? wow i might actually go for it then. thanks for the advise!

so u know any1 selling a man tranny for an s14?

Helghast 08-02-2006 04:12 PM

it's fun till you have to put the Clutch pedal.

KFL 08-05-2006 12:56 PM

Originally posted by Helghast
it's fun till you have to put the Clutch pedal.
Clutch pedal is easy I've done that install in less than 5mins..Very easy with hole saw..makes a nice perfect hole. First time took me a while using a dremel.

A 5spd swap can be done in 1 day..to do it you will need basic tools & impact gun, also you will need a good jack with a wide base. It helps balancing the auto trans with removal. I usually bench press the manual trans up and into place though..then a buddy slaps in the xmember.
Toughest part would be removal of bolts mating engine/trans..some are tough to reach and take agile hands.

silviasichigo 08-05-2006 03:59 PM

It is actually very easy but to give yourself a time frame is a curse in itself. What I did the first time was noticed the the tunnel is kind of tight so with the tranny out I took a small 5lb sledge hammer and beat the tunnel out so that I could effortlessly slide the tranny in and out with out angleing it this way or that way like a puzzel to get it in and out and all the bolts are easily accessable. now when I change my clutch the hardest part is the actual llifting the tranny, no problem with the bolt access or having to twist and turn the tranny to get it in.

I have a friend the kid just turned 16 I sold him and S14 turbo engine he had a Q's S14 he swapped out the rear sub-frame, all of the front and rear hub assy to make it 5 lug, swapped the engine in with the 5Speed made the car from N/A silvia to Turbo in every aspect mostly by himself (there was some assistance with lifiting involved and he tuned it himself with a little help. Age means nothing it is the willingness to get out there and not be afraid to tear into your ride..............

SRWHAT 08-08-2006 01:59 AM

Knowledge is power....and more power to you if you can pull this off without any experience with this.

speedemon240 08-08-2006 09:20 AM

damn guys i am getting very much encouraged to do the swap. i might jus even wait and buy the sr20det motor along with the 5spd tranny and ecu and wiring harnesses from japan. how easy will that be?lol to swap the engine and tranny all at once. is the engine as easy as jus taking the KA out and dropping the SR in and jus hooking all the wires back up? need some info some1 help. ty

Helghast 08-08-2006 01:19 PM

Dropping the engine is cake.

Wiring is cake too..if you have basic electrical wiring.

1 Weekend and you can accomplish all this..with proper tools and parts.

Make sure you clean everything..and If I were you..I'd gut all the wirings and start fresh. There's going to be random Pig tails that connects no where..

speedemon240 08-10-2006 06:07 AM

another question wut do ppl do when it is time to get their car inspected and they have the sr20 or other japanese motors in? do they pay the guy everytime to pass it or do u put like another cat con on?

Helghast 08-10-2006 03:59 PM

putting a cat won't do ****.

You gotta pay under the table..

+ you should strip the SR out of anything Emmision anyways.