S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/)
-   -   i swaped my clutch, vibration (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/i-swaped-my-clutch-vibration-41776/)

soul strong 10-23-2007 02:02 PM

i swaped my clutch, vibration

well as the title states i changed my clutch and now i feel like there is move vibration now. did i miss something? or is that the way new clutches are until they're broken in?

nightkid86 10-23-2007 02:57 PM

What type of clutch did you use.

Did you align it properly and bolt everything on to the correct torque?

soul strong 10-25-2007 07:15 PM

I'm not sure of the name of the clutch, but it was like 70 bucks from Murray's auto part store. i didn't exactly have a torque wrench handy. and i did use the aliment tool. i guess I'm just paranoid. cause my gf said my car always felt like that. but i don't know, it doesnt feel as bad now.

jramosthe1st! 10-25-2007 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by soul strong (Post 340581)
i guess I'm just paranoid. cause my gf said my car always felt like that.

i know exactly what you mean. every time i do just about anything to a car i feel like i forgot something and fear it will brake down soon. none of the cars have every broken down like i feared so i must be doing something right.

btw it's good to hear your gf is cool about it and not all, "you see i told you you'd brake it didn't i."

soul strong 10-25-2007 07:59 PM

while this is my post i hear two different break in styles one drive under 3000 rpms for 500 miles, and someone else told me to drive like a "bat out of hell"
is there a proper way? i just want daily driving i dont really race or do burnouts or anything. maybe when i get a sr20det :) but until then i just dont want my car to fall apart

jramosthe1st! 10-25-2007 08:09 PM

well both are correct depending on the type of clutch you have.

oem 3K rpms for 500 miles
a puck clutch a good burn out should do it.

CharlesJ 10-26-2007 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st! (Post 340593)
well both are correct depending on the type of clutch you have.

oem 3K rpms for 500 miles
a puck clutch a good burn out should do it.

Not exactly. It depends on the material, not the style. Most streetable clutches require a good break in for at least 500 city miles. This means no high rpm shifts, varied load and rpm while in gear, but never full throttle, and not hwy miles.

With a serious race clutch like some of the tiltons, you can jsut drive them hard out of the box, but beating them up does not help them, jsut doesnt hurt them. A few high performance clutches require a 10-20 second slip to heat them up and get them ready for use.

On the problem at hand, have someone else drive your car and see if they feel it. I have been paranoid before too and its hard to tell. Not using a torque wrench though and reusing your flywheels bolts can create an uneven tightening on the flywheels which could cause a slight vibration

jramosthe1st! 10-26-2007 12:04 PM

^
true

i just assumed that he would know that a puck clutch would be made of different material and not all are sprung.

soul strong 10-26-2007 06:23 PM

im off work.. and well the car seem to feel better.. maybe im getting used to it but on another note its hard driving normal.. in the city.. ie chicago... everyone drives so slow... and doesnt signal when they want to turn.. bbbaaahhhhh i hate old drivers T_T... but u gotta do what u gotta do... 1 year and 4 months til i get my bonus from the national guard and bam i can get my sr20det and some nice add ons
:)