S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/)
-   -   possible failure of master clutch cylinder? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/possible-failure-master-clutch-cylinder-44742/)

soul strong 09-18-2008 02:22 PM

possible failure of master clutch cylinder?

ok heres what happens, when i press the clutch it just stops after the free play. one time i pushed down hard and heard a pop i thought the spring came off the peddle but i dont think thats it. so the only thing els ei can think of is the master cylinder is bad well the piston inside is bad so im thinking tomorrow im going to go to the junk yard and pull one. i took off the snap pin and the clutch seem to jerk not popping up by its self. so i guess one failed and so did the other.. does that sound reasonable? is it even worth the trouble of taking off the master cylinder and the peddle and replacing both? then bleeding the system. and i also have a slave cylinder leak could that have also cause the problem because i kinda ran through a flooded street over the weekend. i live in chicago and the des plaines river flooded when i was going to my weekend drill. is it possible that water got into the system through the slave cylinder and cause to much pressure for the system to handle?

i drive a 1990 240sx SE with about 120000 miles on it 5 speed

soul strong 09-19-2008 10:40 AM

any ideas?

Biggamehit 09-19-2008 01:25 PM

1. the pedal itself has nothing to do with pressure

2.go below the car and visually inspect the slave for any obvious leaking

3. go under dash... pull carpet and sound padding back and look for any leaking... if you see any, the seals are busted on the cylinder

4. if you don't see anything... re bleed the system and you are all go... it happens time to time.... not very often, but a hydraulic system will get air in it... which is not good and generally means something is not sealing as tight as it should.

extra: the slave cylinder is normally swaped out with a normal clutch job ( that is one that has alot of miles... not if you race the car like I did) so a new slave cylinder may just be needed... its not a expensive part and its worth it.

hope i helped.. i could not read all of your issue.... no punctuation etc.... my head was about to expload lol

soul strong 09-27-2008 07:42 PM

this is bull****. i replaced the slave cylinder, it was rusted inside so i guess water did get inside. i rebuilt the master cylinder. and now the transmission is messed up. i think the barring came off of the little clutch fork thing that the slave cylinder pushes. now the question is do i fix it. i dont have a garage and i cant drop a transmission on the side of the street. so i either pay to shop to do it. or just sell the car. what do you guys think

Biggamehit 09-28-2008 01:08 AM

sell the car ... WHAT.. is that what you do when you have clutch issues..

1. did you bleed the system completely.. if no that's your issue

2. i have swap clutches anywhere where there is flat ground

3. if you need guidance, look in the how to section at my clutch swap. its not hard at all. in order to have jarred the fork off the pivot ball, you had to had hit the hell out of it

battosaii930 09-28-2008 12:20 PM

also just buy a new master and slave i got a pair of oem nissim (yes its Nissim its the brand) clutch master and slave for $45

crazydrifter 09-28-2008 12:37 PM

if the clutch pedal isnt connected to the master cylinder it will jerk down and not come back up, the master cylinder is what makes it come back up and they are both very easy to take considering its only 3 bolts for both of them. i think you prob need to bleed the system and if that dosent work get a new master and slave cylinder.

fadedsilvia 10-02-2008 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by soul strong (Post 373513)
and now the transmission is messed up. i think the barring came off of the little clutch fork thing that the slave cylinder pushes

is it a ka24de 5 speed? if so then ur throwoutbearing is held on by a clip and the fork is held onto a small item that looks like a pushbutton that goes into the transmission via a clip also, the fok will just push back onto the clip for the pushbutton item

if its not a ka24de 5speed i have no idea i havnt worked on neother 240 yet lol
(p.s. dont u just luv my o so technical terminology?)

hope i helped and check out biggamehit's how to for clutch install, helped me alot, its not to hard

Biggamehit 10-02-2008 06:31 AM

YAY i helped someone... i can die a happy boy now lol