S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/)
-   -   Shifter / Transmission woes (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/shifter-transmission-woes-35538/)

Alteus 10-22-2006 05:16 PM

Shifter / Transmission woes

Yeah, so I'm having a few problems with my car. The first is that the shifter bounces up and down like crazy with the suspension. More of an annoyance than anything, but I'd stil like to fix it. What could be causing that? Worn out tranny support or something? And is there an easy fix?

The second thing I'm more worried about. I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought it'd be more appropriate for this forum. I'm having trouble getting the car to go into second gear, especially from first gear. Scenario: I'm taking off from a stoplight. The car is at 2500 rpm in first, so I decide to shift. I put the clutch in, grip the shifter and pull it down into the slot for second. Then let the revs fall to 1800, ease off the clutch, and give it some gas, only to find that the shifter is sort of hinged between first and second, and I'm not in gear. So, I push the clutch back in, and pull the shifter back down into second, but it grinds. Drivers behind me are getting pissed. I have to put the car back in neutral, then bring it into second. This is the only way it works. In other words, I can go 1 - N - 2, but not 1 - 2. It's time consuming and annoying for everyone aroud me.

Also of note is that I sometimes have trouble getting the car into 1st from a dead stop. And reverse is even harder. Any ideas? I'd really like to fix these problems.

epp_b 10-22-2006 07:15 PM

Yeah, so I'm having a few problems with my car. The first is that the shifter bounces up and down like crazy with the suspension. More of an annoyance than anything, but I'd stil like to fix it. What could be causing that? Worn out tranny support or something? And is there an easy fix?
Define "like crazy". My '95 240's gear lever bounces a bit too, I'd say by only a few millimeters. What would you measure your "bounce" at?

The second thing I'm more worried about. I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought it'd be more appropriate for this forum. I'm having trouble getting the car to go into second gear, especially from first gear. Scenario: I'm taking off from a stoplight. The car is at 2500 rpm in first, so I decide to shift. I put the clutch in, grip the shifter and pull it down into the slot for second. Then let the revs fall to 1800, ease off the clutch, and give it some gas, only to find that the shifter is sort of hinged between first and second, and I'm not in gear. So, I push the clutch back in, and pull the shifter back down into second, but it grinds. Drivers behind me are getting pissed. I have to put the car back in neutral, then bring it into second. This is the only way it works. In other words, I can go 1 - N - 2, but not 1 - 2. It's time consuming and annoying for everyone aroud me.
Worn synchromesh?

epp_b 10-22-2006 07:20 PM

(Argh! Double-post again because the forum keeps dying. Please fix this mods!)

Alteus 10-22-2006 07:34 PM

Mine's worse than that. It bounces more like a centimeter or so. I'll try to take a video. It's just really annoying...granted, the car has 153k on it, but I don't want my car doing stupid things like having the shifter bounce up and down. Do you think a B&M shifter would help reduce this? Or is it just because of the transmission itself?

And yeah, the server is getting really bad. :( I'd say half of the time it just comes up with a blank page after a new post, but I know it's there.

re037 10-22-2006 07:51 PM

try firefox

and try tranny/engine mounts along with subframe spacers

Alteus 10-22-2006 07:58 PM

I'm already using firefox. :P

I'll definitely try the subframe spacers...but changing out the motor mounts...that's a lot harder job. If I can find someone with an engine hoist, I'll do it. Otherwise it's probably not worth the cost. Is there any specific type of motor mount I should get? I mean, don't they make nismo motor mounts? What's the benefit of those?

epp_b 10-22-2006 08:27 PM

try firefox
It's not a browser issue. There's a server-side redirection issue or time-out problem.

Alteus 10-23-2006 09:55 PM

One other thing...something is making a knocking noise when I turn the car off. I'm guessing it's the shifter but I don't know. Opinions?

Bryan 10-25-2006 07:04 AM

Nismo mounts will be more solid than stock mounts. You can also get stock mounts and fill the gaps with some 3m window weld urethane for some cheap-o semi-solid mounts. As for specific types to get, you can get Nismo or stock, like stated before, and still be comfortable on the street. You can also get solid mounts (Kazama, Cusco, etc), which will be a little more harsh for daily driving due to excess vibration.

Alteus 10-30-2006 10:22 PM

I had a guy tell me the other day that nismo mounts were horrible for daily driving, because they transmit way more noise and vibration into the cabin...is that true?