S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/)
-   -   Tranny Noises... HELP!! (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/tranny-noises-help-46608/)

SmokedZenki 12-18-2009 07:40 PM

Tranny Noises... HELP!!

Hey guys i have been hearing noise coming from my trans for a few days now.. it first started one cold morning when i first started up my car i hear what i thought was a knocking noise and i first thought it was the bottom end of my engine... :crap: later i found out the noise went away when i pushed in my clutch..?? :confused: so then i thought it was my throw-out bearing... cold weather / thick grease may cause some noise.?... Wrong!!!! i now experience noise when im driving loudest in the lower gears and gets quieter as i keep up shifting... so im beginning to realize that the noise is being caused by my gears in the trans.... maybe from no oil ?? im not quite sure i havent checked it in a long time.... ive prob only put maybe 30 miles on it since this noise started.....
So my real question is can i drain the existing fluid in the trans and add synthetic gear oil to my trans and be okay?? do you think the noise will magically disappear? or am i looking at putting a whole new (used) tranny in because the damage is already done??? any input would be awesome guys :thumb:

Thanks
Eric

ps what is the fluid capacity of our 5 speed trannys??

Biggamehit 12-18-2009 07:54 PM

you want to stay away from GL-5 rated gear oils because they wear the synchro's. however that is very very hard to do today.

just drain in and put new fluid in and see what happens.

I dont know about you but I could get KA trans for 70 dollars at the junk yard.. if its damaged... just get a new one bro.

could also be a worn Pilot bearing.

2 1/2 bottles.

jramosthe1st! 12-18-2009 08:09 PM

drain all the oil and use pennzoil synchromesh, it's made specifically for transmissions with brass syncros or where gl4 is required. if that doesn't work you'll only be out a few dollars since this oil is fairly cheap.

USMCDrifter 12-18-2009 09:22 PM

If I have a tranny that makes noise, I usually shoot herhim . . .

Biggamehit 12-19-2009 04:35 AM

lmao only you David

hatrick6 12-19-2009 05:37 AM

Tranny noises:

Woman with an adam's apple and facial fuzz walks up o you and says: "Hey wana come back to my place and feel around up my skirt???"

SmokedZenki 12-19-2009 08:15 AM

Thanks for your input guys i have like 5 bottles of GM gear oil that i got from an old chevy dealership i use to work at.. its like a synthetic gear oil used in cadillacs.. i'll let you know the details of the oil..... but for now i can't do anything because of the freaking blizzard outside! time to wait it out....

jramosthe1st! 12-19-2009 01:00 PM

it's my understanding that gm synchromesh and pennzoil synchromesh are basically the same thing, both are intended to be used in transmissions with yellow metals. i believe the only real difference is that pennziol in not synthetic.

Biggamehit 12-19-2009 05:32 PM

gppd stiff Jram I didnt know that.

SmokedZenki 12-19-2009 06:29 PM

good to know jr im glad i dont have to spend any $ now... lets just hope it works... ohh and as far as getting a $70 tranny at a junk yard... ha fat chance around here they are slim to none im driving 1 of 2 s14's in the area and i know of 3 or 4 s13s around thats it and there are even less in the junk yards so if i gotta get one im gonna have to spand my search a little further... and since we are on the subject of transmissions and not chicks with d*cks ... have any of you heard of or used the nismo 5th gear replacement part that i assume gives you a higher speed with lower rpms?? if so let us know about it im sure all of us would be interested in this mod...

Eric

Biggamehit 12-19-2009 09:32 PM

never.. trannies are something I really don't put my finger in to much. as long as the synchros are good.. im happy. ....... are you a drag racer who happens to go into 5th gear or are you a super highway racer???????

SmokedZenki 12-20-2009 08:23 PM

no im neither as of right now... i just a guy who likes to get good fuel mileage.... and i drive the highway alot so lowering my rpms on the highway would be nice... save a little fuel.... since im stil n/a
Eric

USMCDrifter 12-21-2009 07:30 AM

WANGAN MIDNIGHTUUUUU

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9682/wm12iq2.jpg

Biggamehit 12-21-2009 07:42 AM

i get over aggressively on Joo!!!!

USMCDrifter 12-21-2009 07:57 AM

If I pass on the outside, he'll never expect that attack . . .