Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

Trany problem... help before i end up torching the 240

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Unhappy Trany problem... help before i end up torching the 240

Okay... today was the worst day ive ever had in my 240... it started out fine... drove around a bit, wasted some gas... everything was fine... cept a few lil stereo problems... fixed it and went to take another ride. I started it and noticed a weird sound.. thought it was a dirtbike in the neighborhood so i didnt think much of it. I drive off of my street and i still hear the sound. Pull over and the motor sounds bad, so i check the oil.. bout a quart low, so i fill it up to the H line.. it was right above L before. limped it home to diagnose the problem, and thought it was either that i dropped a valve, or the timing chain tensioner froze up again. Well i figured it was the chain, and went to wendy's to get a burger. All was fine, a lil noisy until 2.5k rpms, but nothing bad. Well im less than a block from my house, thinking to myself "well the timing chain is an easy fix, take a day or two off work (delivering pizzas), and fix it." well i round the corner to the final stretch and go to shift into 2nd... well i couldnt get it into gear my first try... happens a lot cuz im not used to having to push the clutch very far. Well i push the clutch all the way down and still no shifting. "???" ****! well the clutch is stuck to the floor.. i can pull it up, but still wont release. I was thinking i was out of clutch fluid, but its right where it should be.... can anyone help me?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

well... theres good news and bad news...
The good news is im wired on 2 of the big cans or Rockstar energy drinks...

The bad news is my slave cylinder **** on me.

Being as wired as i am, i went out to the car to diagnose the problem fully and tear out what was wrong so i could replace it in the morning. first, i took a look at the clutch fluid... i grabbed a flashlight for this one... well the stuff looked like concentrated chocolate milk... and left a film of crap inside the walls of the MC reservoir. It looked slightly lower than when i last looked at it, so i looked inside the car and pumped the clutch in and out with my hand (being that it wont return on its own) to see if any fluid leaked inside the car. none. so i looked on the firewall on the outside of the car. none. puzzled, i looked again at the reservoir, and noticed almost all the chocolate... er.. fluid was gone... then it hit me, the slave cylinder took a **** on me and as i looked under the car to try to find the damn thing, i noticed a pool of a chocolate-like substance. BINGO! now if only i had jackstands at the house, instead of leaving them at work, i would have torn it out and had it done by 10 in the morning. SO... how do i take the beastly thing out? also, how can i flush this contaminated crap out of the system? i dont want it gumming up the system, and i would like to replace the MC while im in the whole "fix the beast" mood.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:15 AM

Slave cylinders very easy to fix, its like maybe 2 bolts. I replaced mine a few weeks ago along with my master, I had a lift so it was a little easier but its easy none-the-less. Most annoying part is the bleeding.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

mmhmm... did you remove the damper box? if so, how do you do it? OR, if you still have it, how did you bleed the system?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Survey says:
NOPE!
Replaced both master and slave, and not fixed... though i do know that there is a problem with the release fork.... i think my throwout bearing/release bearing went bad. suxorz. heres a few pics and hopefully a vid (quicktime)
See this is what the slave cylinder looks like on my car... without having to use the clutch pedal... im pretty sure its not supposed to do that.
Name:  P6060026.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  61.2 KB
And i have to squeeze it by hand to get it to go back... and it returns to its original place, extended.
Name:  P6060028.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  49.6 KB
Yup... its ****ed. so i think my release bearing/throwout bearing is bad or something along those lines... so im gonna get a new clutch kit and see where it takes me.

Heres a vid of what its doing...

Last edited by LA_phantom_240; 06-06-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHA I AM ALL THAT IS MAN.....

okay not really... should have been the first thing i checked after having the slave blow up. It turns out my clutch damper box was the culprit this time around... wasnt letting the clutch disengage. I ran the car for a few seconds with the wheels off the ground, and worked the clutch a bit, and it seems to work... now i just need to bleed it for the last time and im skrait... ill post pics of me destroying the damper...lil ****er.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:48 PM

haha..i watched that video like six times...its so much fun to watch...push in..wait no, its coming out, wait no there it goes again...yea....i just did 7 hours of homework i like animals

oh, and i like your taillights
Old 06-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

lol thanks... yeah it coming out was with no clutch pedal action... i still have a long way to go before it feels normal again... its been bled and all, but it engages really close to the bottom of its travel, so im gonna hve to take the pin out of the pedal, loosen the mc, and adjust the whole thing again... damn it feels wierd without the damper... oh yeah and i did the tails myself...