S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/)
-   -   VLSD questions (I have searched) (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/vlsd-questions-i-have-searched-45754/)

MasterOSkillio 04-24-2009 10:52 AM

VLSD questions (I have searched)

I have a 95 240sx, that had an automatic transmission that I swapped to manual. I have been searching around for some info, and I can’t find the answers. My questions are about the VLSD that some of our cars are supposed to have:

I have read that all automatic cars that have ABS have VLSDs, and in other places I read that all ABS equipped cars have VLSDs. Which if any is true? I know for a fact that if my car is on a lift and if I spin the wheels on my car, that used to be automatic, and has ABS, instead of spinning in the same direction the wheels spin in opposite directions. Doesn’t that mean I have an open diff? Either way I did see the post about checking the model number on my car, and the 18th letter was a C so I should have a VLSD. But unless I am mistaken it doesn’t seem to be working correctly.

It might not be working correctly because of something else I have read, I am not sure about this because have I read two different things in different places. One saying that the VLSD is completely enclosed in the diff, and only requires regular gear fluid, because the VLSD part is self contained and the fluid is just for the gears of the diff. The other thing I read states that if you change the fluid on the VLSD that you have to use an additive that contains silicon in order for the VLSD to work. So is the VLSD a closed system or not? If not, does anyone know what that additive is or where I can get it? (I know the previous owner did a fluid refresh on my car before I bought it, including the diff, maybe my wheels spin the opposite direction instead of the same way is because he did not put that additive in when he changed the fluid.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

240smoke 04-24-2009 10:27 PM

I am not sure about the whole wheel spinning thing. I think a VLSD will spin in same direction. You should have a sticker on the diff that says VSLD. Or you can take the back cover off and check.

MasterOSkillio 04-25-2009 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by 240smoke (Post 385587)
I am not sure about the whole wheel spinning thing. I think a VLSD will still spin in opposite directions. You should have a sticker on the diff that says VSLD. Or you can take the back cover off and check.

Yeah I will have to, I am just a little confused because when I google about things to do with the 240sx I often find two sets of conflicting information.

hatrick6 04-26-2009 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by MasterOSkillio (Post 385623)
Yeah I will have to, I am just a little confused because when I google about things to do with the 240sx I often find two sets of conflicting information.

and welcome to the internet, where people can say whatever the hell they want ;) as far as the VIN thing I forget exactly what letter says if it has a VLSD, but i do remember checking mine and it did not (i checked vin number and tire marks) have you tired the peel out test? do a little burn out in the street, 1 tire mark = vlsd, 2 tire marks = open dif (i believe, someone correct me if i am wrong here)

option 3 = call the dealer and give them your vin#, they can tell you ;)

Biggamehit 04-26-2009 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by ilikegofast (Post 385632)
and welcome to the internet, where people can say whatever the hell they want ;) as far as the VIN thing I forget exactly what letter says if it has a VLSD, but i do remember checking mine and it did not (i checked vin number and tire marks) have you tired the peel out test? do a little burn out in the street, 1 tire mark = vlsd, 2 tire marks = open dif (i believe, someone correct me if i am wrong here)

option 3 = call the dealer and give them your vin#, they can tell you ;)

vlsd both wheels spin the same direction

1 tire mark = vlsd, 2 tire marks = open dif (opposite)

get under the car look on the rear cover also and it says VLSD on it.

a viscous lsd operates using a series of shims inside the diff. the liquid placed in the diff plays a factor when you race with them. cheaper fluid will heat up faster and render the diff useless and it will act like an open diff.

MasterOSkillio 04-26-2009 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit (Post 385633)

a viscous lsd operates using a series of shims inside the diff. the liquid placed in the diff plays a factor when you race with them. cheaper fluid will heat up faster and render the diff useless and it will act like an open diff.

So you are saying the VLSD is not separate from the rest of the diff, and shares the fluid with it?

Do you have any idea what type of fluid to use on a VLSD so it will work correctly?

Biggamehit 04-28-2009 05:34 PM

you can put any gear oil in there you want ( keeping the weight in mind for the climate you live in)... for daily use if thats your angle.... just put what the FSM tells you to put in there...... many people will say stay away from gl5 fluids, but many racers run them due to the added additives... almost every racing fluid is gl5 and contains tons more additives than conventional fluids.

MasterOSkillio 05-20-2009 03:40 PM

Just because I happen to have come across the FSM, I can answer my own question. It seems that the fluid for the differential regardless of if it is vlsd or not is just a grade of API GL-5 and a weight of 80w-90.

The FSM shows that the differential R200 and R200V (which I am assuming is the vlsd) use the same oil

YangpaNemsay 05-20-2009 06:01 PM

raise the ass end of the car up.

Turn one of the rear wheels

If it spins in the same direction, it's either VLSD, welded, or locked

If they wheels spin in different directions, it's an open.

battosaii930 05-20-2009 06:24 PM

if it has abs it has vlsd

Biggamehit 05-21-2009 12:17 PM

so what you are saying batt is if i have ABS i must work out alot ???